Looking for Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I'm just looking for a little advice on a good OCI and oil type for my truck. Yesterday I purchased a 2016 F150 with the 2.7L Ecoboost. I have never had a turbocharged vehicle before but I've heard between the turbos and direct injection they are pretty tough on oil. I believe the book says 10K miles but I don't really feel comfortable going that far. I'm open for suggestions.

I guess while I'm at it I'll ask about the wife's ride. We got her a 2015 Toyota Highlander with the 2GR-FE V6 a few months ago. I was thinking I'd just run Mobil 1 in that one but I'm always interested in hearing other people's thoughts.

Thanks,
Joey

Last edited:
For the truck, any D1G2 (even tho its a GM spec) 5W-30 synthetic would be great for it at 5k intervals.

BC you like M1, M1 5W-30 in both vehicles would provide great protection and simplify your oil choice.

Or sn+, just make sure you aren't using a high calcium oil. M1 was ahead of the curve on their formula having low calc and high mag. What weight does it call for? 5w20 is pretty stable, likely wont shear much, do a uoa and see how much viscosity you are losing at 5k miles, that will make you feel more comfortable. Also, make sure you do tbn, that combined with operating visc sets the interval. I'm with you though, a low interval like 5k miles can only be helpful avoiding lspi, especially as the engine ages.

Run a synthetic that meets OEM specs and perform a UOA at 5k miles. I'll bet 10k miles is a reasonable OCI- that was the case with the two GTDI motors I've owned.

I'm not really loyal to Mobil 1. I've always heard that it is good oil. I don't really have a reason why but I've always usually run Valvoline conventional over the years.

Is the Motorcraft synthetic blend oil good stuff?

I'll do that, I've never had an oil analysis done and I know absolutely nothing about what the numbers mean haha. That's why I'm here though. I'm gonna do some reading.

I checked your owners manual and it does indeed ask for a 5w30 as has been suggested is some posts. Looks for a SN Plus designation. If fights LSPI. ( low speed pre-ignition) If you are nervous feel free to change at 5,000 miles.
smile.gif

Look for SN+ and d1G2 oils that meet Ford recommendations. A lot also depends on your driving routine. Mostly city driving, change every 5k. More highway driving, try 7.5k. Anything longer should be based on a uoa that shows TBN and fuel dilution.

I really appreciate the help. I was thinking it was 5w30 but I haven't looked at the manual yet. My commute is about 80hwy/20 city so maybe I'd be ok with longer intervals. Getting an oil analysis would help determine how long to run it right?

Originally Posted by JFortner5
I really appreciate the help. I was thinking it was 5w30 but I haven't looked at the manual yet. My commute is about 80hwy/20 city so maybe I'd be ok with longer intervals. Getting an oil analysis would help determine how long to run it right?

Absolutely. You can go slavishly by the OLM, or do a couple of UOAs to make sure you're changing your oil at a proper interval - which could be about the same but you won't know without the UOA.

Looks like 5w-30 is the oil Ford wants you to use...OCI will likely vary depending on the oil you use, as the OLM doesn't know if you have cheap dino or magic elixir in there.

Originally Posted by JFortner5

Lots of opinions on this. Considering this is a tGDI engine I would verify first with a uoa before going longer than 7.5k. A number of members here have no problems running longer or using the olm. Sounds like you can go longer with a 80% highway routine plus milder weather in your region.

Originally Posted by dave1251
5W30 and feelings are not facts but if engine motor oil is a stresser change in more often.

OUch, that hurt me....LOL

I'm a stressor over OCI. I'm back to stressing over whether to go back to 3K OCI from 5K OCI.

The modern Oil Life Monitor algorithm on Ford trucks is fairly accurate. You should be able to trust it. The Motorcraft oil is okay, and you should be able to use it within the new car warranty period. You can use a full synthetic oil, which will be a little better than synthetic blend. Motorcraft also offers full synthetic oil if you feel that you want to use Ford products. A little shopping around and you will see that there are a lot of full synthetic options, which meet spec for your truck. While you are at it, you may also want to consider which filter you want to use. As with the oil, Motorcraft filters will work during the warranty period. You can also research and choose a different product.

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
The modern Oil Life Monitor algorithm on Ford trucks is fairly accurate. You should be able to trust it. The Motorcraft oil is okay, and you should be able to use it within the new car warranty period. You can use a full synthetic oil, which will be a little better than synthetic blend. Motorcraft also offers full synthetic oil if you feel that you want to use Ford products. A little shopping around and you will see that there are a lot of full synthetic options, which meet spec for your truck. While you are at it, you may also want to consider which filter you want to use. As with the oil, Motorcraft filters will work during the warranty period. You can also research and choose a different product.

Hopefully they've improved it since my 2013, which was a countdown timer, reliably: 100 miles = 1%, if you left it parked it went down at a 6-month OCI pace.

Originally Posted by Gebo

I'm a stressor over OCI. I'm back to stressing over whether to go back to 3K OCI from 5K OCI.

Hopefully you're talking about dino in a DI that's short tripped.

This is not the place for recommendations. You will get recommendations for another 10K, because that's what it might state in your owners manual.
You will get 3K recommendations, 5K and 7K.

This isn't rocket science, when dealing with DI and turbos, both under the same truck hood.

Find a happy medium and do OCIs like many of us are currently using either DIs, turbos or both........ that's 5K OCIs.
Change often and sleep well, using the correct viscosity range with a SN Plus, Dexos-rated oil. Dexos is most stringent of them-all, where diesel oils are not applied.

See my Signature (Hyundai GDI & Castrol). I've also purchased Pennzoil, Valvoline and Mobil-1 oil for it. I am good-to-go and you will be too, using the same approach.

Honestly I would use Pennzoil Platinum or even the new Shell Rotella Gas Truck, but realistically you can't really go wrong with any of the major oil brand synthetics. I've used Mobil 1 for a long time too but it got to be so expensive then Pennzoil Platinum became all the rage and was a lot cheaper so I made the switch.

Shell has a mail in rebate good until the end of the year $10 back for 5 qts oil which buying at Walmart it's $23.97 and after rebate makes it $13.97 comes out to $2.79 qt... just something to think about.

Any of the name brand full syn. 5w30's that meet d2g2 should work fine for 7K or more.
Motorcraft is a good oil but full syns are a better bargain at WM....I'd use one.

yep. Any dexos synthetic will serve both well. 5w-30 for both vehicles would keep things simple. 5k would be a happy medium, although 7k would likely be just fine with any dexos synthetic.

I have started using Penn Plat 5w-30 for winter and QSUD 5w-30 for Summer in our GDI car and my trucks just because QSUD tends to be a tad thicker than the PP.

I'm eager to give the Rotella Gas Truck and whirl though

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back