Removing algae from the deck

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was pressure spraying with last year deck cleaner and I noticed the algae persisted. So then I tried some Dawn dish soap and a scrub brush and then pressure spray. Gone!

Is Dawn dish soap good for removing algae or was it just the scrubbing process of a wet deck giving false hope?

what deck material? Might need a stronger pressure washer.

It blows right off my trex decking. with my gas pressure washer.

Originally Posted by Rand
what deck material? Might need a stronger pressure washer.

It blows right off my trex decking. with my gas pressure washer.

Lol. I wish it was Trex I can't afford it I have an 1800 PSI Electric and a 15 year old pt deck that takes a beating from the weather. It just seems like it's been worse this year I think because of all the rain

I highly recommend you try "Wet&Forget". A two gallon concentrate set of jugs (dilute 6:1) can be had at Costco for $20 - $25 and works without a pressure washer. Just use a pump sprayer. Go to their website and take a look.

Worked wonders for me on my vinyl siding, painted gutters, etc. If you just spray it on once a year, you are good to go.

https://www.wetandforget.com/product-selector.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
You need to kill the growth. Check this out, it works quite well. Jomax Solution

Big thumbs-up on this Jomax stuff posted by demarpaint. I use the same stuff on my siding. Using an electric power washer with a mild bleach solution, I'd clean the algae off NE part of my house every year -and the next year it would come right back. One year after cleaning it my normal way, I followed-up with the Jomax stuff and it was algae free for 2 years after that. Now, once every 2 years, I put a light spray of Jomax on and the whole house stays algae free. I apply it with the spray attachment on the electric power washer. FWIW, I use a straight concentration in the sprayer bottle but, the electric sprayer dilutes it a very significant amount.

Anyhow, that stuff works!

Ray

Originally Posted by demarpaint
You need to kill the growth. Check this out, it works quite well. Jomax Solution

This stuff saved me from having to buy a pressure washer. The north side of my house had never been cleaned when I bought it. The first application seemed to do nothing. Since I still had most of a jug left, I mixed up another batch. Stuff started dripping off the house before I had a chance to spray it with the hose. After letting it set, I used the hose and everything was as good as new.

JoMax also has a version for the roof. It did a good job on the roof but not as good as the original formula did on the house.

Wet and Forget is really the modern answer. The active ingredient in Wet & Forget is Alkyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride.

It's not a bleach, but a powerful antimicrobial. It takes months to work, and it may need to be applied bi-annually in some locations. But it works like nothing else and will actively keep it clean a very long time!

I have a large house with a white roof in South Florida. Instead of damaging the tiles with a pressure washer and eroding the white coating, Wet and Forget gets sprayed on my roof once every few years.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by doitmyself
It's the same active ingredient in a product we use named Green-Shield II for commercial greenhouse disinfection and algae control: https://www.greenbook.net/basf-professional-and-specialty-solutions/green-shield-ii-disinfectant.

The signal word is DANGER, so handle this stuff according to the label.

Same as what's in Wet and Forget? I wasn't sure which product you were referring to. I know W&F works very well but the fumes smell pretty toxic. So don't use it on a windy day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back