Why does this board constantly log me off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wwillson
I can't reproduce the logoffs. I use Chrome exclusively and haven't been logged off in a couple years. The one solution I can offer is that I use CCleaner (free version) on a regular basis to clean the browser cache, maybe give that a try?

I haven't played with browser cookie settings in many years. Perhaps the way some of the browsers by default delete cookies after a certain age or can be set to do so.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Looking at the cookies this site has dropped in my browser, let's see if I get auto-logged out on the 28th of this month....

As I suspected, I was logged out of my account today through no actions of my own. A cookie from this website had today's date spec'd as when it expires and when that was reached, I was logged out. It has been re-created with a new 30-day term:

ubbt_hash
Name ubbt_hash
Content 5364c8f3702015fd640d644e5441XXXX
Domain www.bobistheoilguy.com
Path /
Send for Any kind of connection
Accessible to script Yes
Created Sunday, April 28, 2019 at 11:24:03 PM
Expires Tuesday, May 28, 2019 at 11:24:03 PM

Originally Posted by wwillson
I can't reproduce the logoffs. I use Chrome exclusively and haven't been logged off in a couple years. The one solution I can offer is that I use CCleaner (free version) on a regular basis to clean the browser cache, maybe give that a try?

Do you have it remove, "clean", cookies ? If so, you have to re-login to all websites that you have an account or membership ?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I will not use CCleaner. It caused major issues on one of my machines, causing me to have to reinstall Windows.
For the purposes of this discussion, stick to having CCleaner only clean up your browser related data. If you do, there's absolutely no way it will impact Windows.

Side effect of this: The board has marked everything as "read" so I can't see what threads have new posts to them since my last visit without looking at the last post date/time....
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I will not use CCleaner. It caused major issues on one of my machines, causing me to have to reinstall Windows.
For the purposes of this discussion, stick to having CCleaner only clean up your browser related data. If you do, there's absolutely no way it will impact Windows.

+1 the more advanced options can cause problems, but the defaults work fine. Been using it for years on multiple machines. 0 issues.

They have, or used to have, a "registry cleaner" app as well. Maybe they've merged the two together. That could cause issues if you go overboard but they make you go through multiple confirmation steps including making backups.

There is no need to wipe out all your browser data or even all cookies, what a major PITA that would be because it means you then have to login again everywhere on the internet.

Some browser have plugins to control cookies on a per site basis. Some leave files with "bobistheoilguy" in their name to remove them and recreate a new one.

If on the other hand you are experiencing this problem across many sites, yeah you might want to nuke all browser cookies or look at what browser plugins you have running and if none seem to blame, consider a clean browser installation.

Also, obviously if your browser has custom cookie rules set then you need to take a look at that.

I agree completely. Sounds like overly paranoid behavior to me plus it's not like the days of 120mb hard drives, Windows 95, and Internet Explorer where space was a premium. Deleting cookies, cache, etc is so 90s ! I remember a time or two where I used CCleaner and forgot to uncheck the box for deleting cookies ! Had to re-login to soooooo many websites - I was annoyed !

Then again, there are folks who still keep their login details for websites, their wireless router, and so on in a notebook next to their computer....

Originally Posted by Dave9
There is no need to wipe out all your browser data or even all cookies, what a major PITA that would be because it means you then have to login again everywhere on the internet.

There is security and privacy benefits behind that. I wipe all browser data and all cookies after every browser session, and have for years.

Hallstevenson: With respect to your cookies, do you have any browser addons that could even conceivably affect cookie behaviour?

Looking at the cookies this site has dropped in my browser, let's see if I get auto-logged out on the 28th of this month....

As I suspected, I was logged out of my account today through no actions of my own. A cookie from this website had today's date spec'd as when it expires and when that was reached, I was logged out. It has been re-created with a new 30-day term:

ubbt_hash
Name ubbt_hash
Content 5364c8f3702015fd640d644e5441XXXX
Domain www.bobistheoilguy.com
Path /
Send for Any kind of connection
Accessible to script Yes
Created Sunday, April 28, 2019 at 11:24:03 PM
Expires Tuesday, May 28, 2019 at 11:24:03 PM

Just as I predicted, I would be logged out by the site in another 30 days. Just checked in and I was logged out:

[Linked Image]

The cookie referenced above, created/controlled by BITOG website, is doing this. Yes, I have the "keep me logged in" box checked but it doesn't matter.

If you purposely log out, you obviously aren't going to encounter this. Plus, everytime you log out and back in, you reset the 30-day clock anyway.

Yes, for me, logging in and out, I'd never encounter any sort of cookie expiration. I have noted before that on occasion, and I mean very rarely, if I walk away from the compute for an extended time and sit back down, I've found myself logged out, but that is exceedingly uncommon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back