Looking for a GOOD knife sharpener

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have quite a few kitchen knives that are very dull. I'm looking for a GOOD sharpener. Also, are ceramic knives able to be sharpened?

I'm very happy with my Chefs Choice Trizor 15, or whatever the 15 degree unit is called. I've converted all of my kitchen knives to 15 degrees and still have a 20 degree for the utility and pocket knives.

AFAIK, ceramics cannot be sharpened. I don't own any.

I am a professional chef and have been using this one for a few years on all types, shapes, and sizes of knives, and even on blades for food processor type equipment. https://smile.amazon.com/Presto-Eversharp-Sharpener-Three-Stage-Adjustable/dp/B004Q2503U/ref=sr_1_6?crid=11XGFA4OYQWF9&keywords=presto+knife+sharpener&qid=1557373472&s=gateway&sprefix=presto+kni%2Caps%2C178&sr=8-6

Fair grade knives can be sharpened conventionally. If what you have is especially rust resistant, chinese buttermetal, upgrade to a higher carbon more expensive knife, which you don't want to put through a dishwasher.

Ceramic can be sharpened but usually due to the grain whey will have good service until you shatter them, unless very expensive then you can get a ceramic sharpener off ebay/etc

Generally the sharpener choice is between skill level, results, and how much material is removed. You can get a basic carbide rod or better ceramic, and it will sharpen fine till it wears out, then it might be suitable still for honing before every use or two. You can get a diamond rod or plate, and it will take more material off and leave a more jagged edge more suitable for slicing rather than chopping, but you probably also want a honing steel to refine that after a few uses.

Then there are the lazy kitchen drag-through sharpeners. They are easy, and cheap, and make a decent micro-serrated cut, but wear the blade down the most. They might be the best bet for cheap stainless buttermetal, but will wear out an expensive knife too fast.

Ultimately if you're putting thought into this and presumably the willingness to spend money, you need a harder, higher carbon knife. Given a decent knife you can even sharpen it on a good old wetstone, especially if you have a finer honing stone or steel to finish it off if you need slicing rather than sawing performance. Granted some things seem like slicing but are more about micro-edge sawing performance, like tomatoes.

I've got a variety of Japanese water stones and diamond stones for sharpening woodworking tools. While chisels, etc. are easily done on that flat surface, knives are more of a challenge.

I bought this, and have sharpened lots of knives with it.

https://www.worksharptools.com/ken-onion-edition-knife-tool-sharpener.html

It's about $125 on Amazon.

I love it. I've done all of my wife's knives and all of mine. Easy to use, works very well. Great tool!

Last edited:
The high end grocery store near me offers sharpening services once a month. Drop off on Friday and pick up on Sunday. They charge $1 per inch of blade. Sur La Table also offers this service and you can sometimes catch a freebie offer from them.

This service provides a much higher quality sharpening than I can do at home myself.

Just another option...

Originally Posted by Imp4
The high end grocery store near me offers sharpening services once a month. Drop off on Friday and pick up on Sunday. They charge $1 per inch of blade. Sur La Table also offers this service and you can sometimes catch a freebie offer from them.

This service provides a much higher quality sharpening than I can do at home myself.

Just another option...

That's what my wife used to do.

The bill for all of her knives (she's a cook, and has some very good ones) was more than half of what I paid for the Ken Onion Sharpener. Throw in the steak knives (she has two sets of 8) and the Ken Onion was cheaper than one sharpening of everything.

It took me a couple of knives to get a feel for the new tool, but I really am very happy with it.

By the way, she shops a Sur La Table all the time...she loves that store!

You can sharpen ceramic knives, but to do it well it takes using a paper wheel loaded with a stropping compound. Kyocera makes a quality product that is very low in post-sinter porosity, and may is likely doped with something to help it flex (although this is also attributed to its unique thinness.) If you go that route, its worth it to pick the Kyocera.

For steel sharpeners, I'd go with a long diamond sharpener rod and a long ceramic sharpener rod. Get some peices of 240 grit sandpaper if you want to set or reset the final bevel on your knives. I've tried the Ken Onion and its a great product. Also tried the DMT plates, also a great product, just overkill for how I use knives.

Highly recommend Edge Pro system. Standard stones are excellent as are the diamond stones. Great system but as most "great" items are...costly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back