Shocks for '02 4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at replacing the shocks on my 2002 4Runner. 95% highway. Leaning towards a smoother ride. What do you recommend?

Yeah

If you can afford Bilstein, get Bilstein
smile.gif

I love Old Man Emu stuff, have ran both Bilsteins and OME on my Liberty, prefer the OME. Very controlled but yet comfortable. Bilstein was a little bouncier, but still very good. The rear shocks only lasted 20-30k miles, had two sets. The OME ones have 60-70k on them and feel great still.

Just my experience!

Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper
I love Old Man Emu stuff, have ran both Bilsteins and OME on my Liberty, prefer the OME. Very controlled but yet comfortable. Bilstein was a little bouncier, but still very good. The rear shocks only lasted 20-30k miles, had two sets. The OME ones have 60-70k on them and feel great still.

Just my experience!

I have OME springs and shocks for the 4Runner. They are designed for heavy duty offroad use and comfort is definitely NOT the first word that I would use to describe them.

They were way more comfortable to me than the factory suspension and more comfortable than the bilsteins to me. Guess it depends on what you want - if you want a Brougham ride OME definitely isn't that, it feels like my LR3 with the air suspension. Firm and controlled but comfortable. Handles great.

Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper
They were way more comfortable to me than the factory suspension and more comfortable than the bilsteins to me. Guess it depends on what you want - if you want a Brougham ride OME definitely isn't that, it feels like my LR3 with the air suspension. Firm and controlled but comfortable. Handles great.

I have the OME 890 and 881 springs along with their recommended matching shocks. This is a very popular combo with the 4Runner, and I'll tell you right now that even after they've settled in the truck still rides like a dump truck. It is most definitely not more comfortable than the factory suspension. Can't comment on their products for other vehicles, just sharing my experience with the 4Runner.

Well, I know shocks are a personal feel issue. It appears the OME are great but may be a little too rough for me.

Hey, my 4Runner only sees dirt when I go to my inlaws and up their driveway. I need some "sissy" shocks.

I used to work as a Master Tech at a Toyota dealer, and various independents, and still have friends in that line of work. There are lots of 3rd gen 4Runners still running around, the newest of which is now 17 years old, like yours. If they have the stock springs, those springs have inevitably sagged leaving little suspension travel, with a corresponding rough ride, regardless of the shocks used.

For the softest ride, I'd suggest new OEM springs and shocks. And also use OEM speced P-rated highway tread tires.

KYB Gas-a-just have much firmer damping than stock. And the KYB Monomax are much firmer than the Gas-a-just shocks.

Also if you haven't replaced the lower ball joints, I would do so soon with OEM only. Aftermarket LBJ's simply aren't made as well. And since the design of the LBJ's on 3rd gens isn't the best, failure can be sudden and catastrophic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back