Gabriel ProGuard shocks: 3 failures in 7 months

Posting to potentially help someone else avoid a bad purchase...

Yesterday I installed two new GM OEM rear shocks on a 2008 Suburban 1500. I took off two Gabriel ProGuards that had failed by November but that I've dealt with until I could source two replacements. One of the two I removed was installed in June, the other in April. (One of the first two shocks installed in April failed after a month and I replaced it in June.) The truck was loud, full of rattles over bumps, etc. Sounded like junk.

Anyway, one shock lasted a few hundred miles, another about 4K miles and the other about 6K. I didn't tow, I didn't run them hard, I didn't do anything that should've led to three shocks failing in seven months. I even drive around manhole covers so as to protect my suspension. They appear to have just been garbage. How does a company make a part that is so shabby and overmatched for the application?

I've contacted Gabriel about getting a refund but I'm not optimistic.

Anyway, if you're searching BITOG for opinions on Gabriel ProGuard shocks, I strongly suggest buying something else.

Hmm, was considering them for my truck, but scratching them off the list. Did you buy them from Rockauto or ??

25 years ago my brother worked for NTB and they quit using Gabriel because the warranty rates were too high. They switched to Monroe and the results were much better. I don’t know if Monroe is still significantly better. Sadly there are so many once great parts brands that aren’t so great today.

So I understand OP mentioned symptoms while driving. Were their obvious signs of failure visually or in-hand? Leaking? Excessively easy to compress quickly or extend by hand? Lateral slop of slider within stanchion?

I purchased them on Amazon.

I ordered Bilstein 4600s from Napa around Christmas but ended up getting shipped a torn, re-taped and empty box. (That is a story I'll share another day once some of the subsequent PTSD wears off.) I went OEM after figuring out how hard it is to source Bilsteins right now and being at wit's end over the whole deal. The original shocks also lasted 150K before one started leaking.

The Gabriel that lasted only a few hundred miles had lateral play. It made a hollow sound over every imperfection in the road. In the end, the other two just didn't have enough compression to do their job. There was only light resistance when I pushed them down after I removed them from the truck. As they extended back out, they made a sound I can only describe as something between passed gas and an injured animal.

I did hear back from Gabriel since I posted the original post. They're asking if they vehicle is lifted at all. It is not. Bone stock. They appear as though they may warranty them. If so, I appreciate that, but I'm only interested in a refund and not two more faulty parts.

The cheapest shocks i will recommend are ecxel-g. They might be kinda harsh but they've always lasted a few years for me. Bilstein shocks are always expensiver and some people won't pay the extra price.

Shocking....

Seriously, it's a sad testament involving wasted materials, time, effort, transportation.
We advertise garbage...make garbage...throw garbage away.
Dis is my shocked face

/surprised pikachu

Who makes Rancho?
I remember putting a set on a friend's Frontier. The paint on them was unbelievably thick.
There was a red knob -270 degree swing- which was supposed to effect a dampening change.
It was entirely ineffective.

• Love
Reactions: D60
Who makes Rancho?
I remember putting a set on a friend's Frontier. The paint on them was unbelievably thick.
There was a red knob -270 degree swing- which was supposed to effect a dampening change.
It was entirely ineffective.

Rancho = Monroe :sneaky:

Rancho = Monroe :sneaky:
Technically Tenneco? Or is it Monroe that own Tenneco and not the other way?

Anyway, I've always felt like Rancho 5000s were "meh okay" but over-rated and can be harsh.

I've never understood 9000s as they seem incredibly expensive for what they are and once the novelty wears off 1% of purchasers actually climb under there to adjust the damping. My buddy had their in-cab setup and it was a leaky nightmare and expensive because you need a compressor of some sort.

A good shock should be able to do everything well. The need for on-the-fly adjustability should really only be necessary for exotic, boutique applications, which does not include towing with a one ton IME

Back