Shocks for stock WJ?

I had our '02 GC up on the hoist earlier for an oil change and discovered the LR shock has expelled all it's oil. The shocks are OE with 172k, so I'm not surprised, but now I'm left to over-think my choice of new shocks.

I'm leaving this one open to suggestions. The truck is bone stock and we don't tow. I just want a nice on-road ride.

Monroe or Gabriel are fine. But if you didn't know they had leaked out and it still rides fine, why change them? Some slight oil residue on the outside is normal.

Monroe or Gabriel are fine. But if you didn't know they had leaked out and it still rides fine, why change them? Some slight oil residue on the outside is normal.
Because at 21 YO and 172k they're junk. It doesn't ride fine. But like you say, if the driver doesn't notice poor handling, other than safety, why not save some money. 😵‍💫

I put Monroe Severe Service shocks on my XJ about 5-6 years ago, very happy with them. Looking on RockAuto now I think they're just called Gas Magnum. They're the yellow ones under Heavy Duty.

I installed KYB Monomax on my 2002 F-150 and it has never ridden better.
Best shock I've ever used since I started driving in 1976.

I had Monroe sensatraks on a stock WJ and they were surprisingly good. Comfortable but well planted. Had monroe reflex on a WK and liked the way it floated a little more while still be controlled. The reflexes let the suspension travel more while not being busy. Not everyone has good experiences with Monroe. I did find that the reflexes softened over time. I’m not sure they’d make it much past 50k miles and didn’t have the wk that along after I installed them.

i always like hearing good stories about kyb - I want to believe there is a good brand in between Monroe/Gabriel and bilstein - for to be honest I’ve not been impressed with bilstein after several tries with them. I had a set of kyb gr2s a long time ago and quite liked them for a slightly stiffer than oem ride.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I specifically avoided mentioning any particular brand at the beginning for just this type of varied feedback.

At first, I was looking at the Bilstein 4600's, but at $280 they're a bit much to spend on such an old truck.

Here's a question for you: why do some of the shocks for this application have a "coke bottle" shape to them, whereas some are simple tubes. Is the valving larger inside the "coke bottle" shocks? For example, the Gabriel Ultra Truck shocks have the flared body, while the Guardian line (and most other brands) do not.

I'm thinking the Ultra Truck's are going to be the way to go. $130 to do all 4 corners.

4600 ride very well on my Ranger, in fact they have done so on everything ive had them on including a SSP Crown Vic as long as they are not SPORT.

My second choice would be KYB MonoMax.

Because at 21 YO and 172k they're junk. It doesn't ride fine. But like you say, if the driver doesn't notice poor handling, other than safety, why not save some money. 😵‍💫
Both of you are describing what I call the "Toothbrush Theory". When you use a new toothbrush everyday you do not notice how badly it may be worn out until you replace it with a new one.

I had Monroe sensatraks on a stock WJ and they were surprisingly good. Comfortable but well planted. Had monroe reflex on a WK and liked the way it floated a little more while still be controlled. The reflexes let the suspension travel more while not being busy. Not everyone has good experiences with Monroe. I did find that the reflexes softened over time. I’m not sure they’d make it much past 50k miles and didn’t have the wk that along after I installed them.

i always like hearing good stories about kyb - I want to believe there is a good brand in between Monroe/Gabriel and bilstein - for to be honest I’ve not been impressed with bilstein after several tries with them. I had a set of kyb gr2s a long time ago and quite liked them for a slightly stiffer than oem ride.
KYB is the OE supplier for a number of Asian car makers.

Back