Valvoline 5 gallon bulk box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its the new trend. The oil companies are going back to cardboard packaging just like 50 years ago. They have improved on it since.

Last edited:
Regarding the OP's example:

Do 4 jugs (same 20 quarts) of that oil cost $133.09?

I'm all for doing the right thing ecologically (lessening plastic waste) but that product seems "priced to fail".

Originally Posted by Kira

I'm all for doing the right thing ecologically (lessening plastic waste) but that product seems "priced to fail".

This is the issue I've found with the SOPUS EcoBox in Canada. I've inquired at a couple of parts stores, and they can't come anywhere close to the cost per litre of buying 5 litre jugs on sale. It's a shame, because the ecobox would be far more convenient, and more environmentally friendly.

Originally Posted by Kira

The only way you could make sense out of buying this box for the convenience of having it would be to buy three of them (to get the 20% discount)--that would bring the total cost per quart down to regular Walmart pricing (5 qt. containers)--that would be a lot of oil for the average person to stockpile, but if you had two friends that went in with you, it could work out. Like I said, not the deal of the century. I'm sure that if Walmart sold these, they'd be under $90.

Originally Posted by fsdork
This is the issue I've found with the SOPUS EcoBox in Canada. I've inquired at a couple of parts stores, and they can't come anywhere close to the cost per litre of buying 5 litre jugs on sale.

NAPA can have good moments on the prices of them at times, and one can always check with a distributor. On the other hand, even though the EcoBox price won't match the best 5 L jug price, you don't have to hunt for or wait for the price with the EcoBox. The EcoBox is always at a tolerable price. The 5 L jug spends 80% of its time at a ridiculous price, and 20% at a great price.

I've never really considered buying oil in bulk packaging like that because I was sort of unaware of their availability (i.e. not sold at Walmart etc.). Upon seeing this packaging, my thinking went to, "who would want to store THAT much oil?". . .then, after thinking about it a little more, I came to the realization that the average two-car family, changing oil twice yearly (assuming a 5-qt. sump in each) would use that whole box in a years time. . . not so ridiculous after a little thought. If NAPA's pricing was a little less-ludicrous I'd probably spring for one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back