Working at a dealership

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I took a job with a local dealership changing oil, tires, and basic things like I did at Walmart. Pay is $10.50, which is $2 less than what I made at Walmart. Tools are provided. Today was my second day.

They told me tools are provided, which i'm finding out isn't the case at all. I probably would need around $1K in tools. Not only are you doing oil, tires, and other very basic things but they where making me do brakes, transmission flushes, brake flushes, warranty work, diagnostics.
I asked the other guys why flat rate guys weren't doing that kind of work. Nobody knew. Told me there is only two guys on flat rate, and they are doing engine rebuilds.

Some of the guys where telling me that they had a Dodge Cummins come into the shop. They did the oil change and apparently had some oil drip down onto the cross member they didn't clean up. So the customer went home that night and it dripped down staining the guys driveway. So he ended up coming back and the shop paid for his oil change. Well then the manager deducted the pay out of the techs pay for it ($140 oil change). Which I just looked up is illegal for them to do in the state of Kansas. This kid was also living paycheck to paycheck and couldn't pay on his car payment this month because of it.

Is this like that at all dealerships?

Holy sweet mother of pearl. That's bananas. ... Another reason to hate dealerships... You're telling me a dealership service dept. doesn't have their own tools? I always thought they checked them out from a counter, with their name on the ticket to keep them from stealing the tools.

Who works for $10.50 an hour anywhere?
Here in Colorado there is a labor shortage.
You can start at $13.50 at most fast food joints.
$10.50 run away.

At the Denver coliseum they had a sign on the building for janitors,starting pay $23.00 an hour.

Originally Posted by marine65
Who works for $10.50 an hour anywhere?
Here in Colorado there is a labor shortage.
You can start at $13.50 at most fast food joints.
$10.50 run away.

At the Denver coliseum they had a sign on the building for janitors,starting pay $23.00 an hour.

Here at McDonalds they are paying $13.00 to start.

Originally Posted by Trav
If you have to start buying tools for $10 an hour get out of there.

Yeah, sounds like a slavery type place to work IMO. Run, dont walk from this stealership

I almost never post, but this made me log in. Leave now. I made more than that as a lube tech at a VW dealer a number of years back. Tools (Blue Point) were provided, and we could borrow almost anything from the guys in the bays next to us. A number of things came back in the years I worked there, but docking someones pay is a beyond the pale.

Put your resume out there, it's a good time to find a better position.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
So I took a job with a local dealership changing oil, tires, and basic things like I did at Walmart. Pay is $10.50, which is $2 less than what I made at Walmart.

Care to inform us why you no longer work at WM?

they where making me do brakes, transmission flushes, brake flushes, warranty work, diagnostics.

Chock it up to lessons learned and move on. For $10.50/hour, you can't make someone do anything they don't know how to do, if you catch my drift.

Originally Posted by chainblu
Sounds like you need to go back to Walmart. lol

Yeah or another dealership this place does not deserve employees.

Originally Posted by izualangel
I almost never post, but this made me log in. Leave now. I made more than that as a lube tech at a VW dealer a number of years back.
Well this dealership happens to be a huge VW dealership.

Originally Posted by Kruse[/quote
Care to inform us why you no longer work at WM?
Ended up going back to school full time this semester since i'm behind. The very few hours I was working didn't play well with the shop so I took a different job within Walmart. Luckily my manager back in ACC liked me so I could always probably fall back there.

I almost never post, but this made me log in. Leave now. I made more than that as a lube tech at a VW dealer a number of years back.

My VW dealership does NOT treat its employees that way.

I wouldn't have worked for them or continued to patronize them if they did.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

I bought my Jetta from them and same with my dad. I've known the service manager since I was in middle school and the other service writers there. He was a service writer but moved on up. I don't think its the managers fault hes a supper cool guy. It sounds more like the company head. The dealership has VW on one side and Toyota on the other. This dealership isn't exactly having a hard time keeping up.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

I bought my Jetta from them and same with my dad. I've known the service manager since I was in middle school and the other service writers there. He was a service writer but moved on up. I don't think its the managers fault hes a supper cool guy. It sounds more like the company head. The dealership has VW on one side and Toyota on the other. This dealership isn't exactly having a hard time keeping up.

It makes sense right? Saving money means some aspect of the business has to ride the fine edge, and you're employed in it. LOL.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Holy sweet mother of pearl. That's bananas. ... Another reason to hate dealerships... You're telling me a dealership service dept. doesn't have their own tools? I always thought they checked them out from a counter, with their name on the ticket to keep them from stealing the tools.

I have never seen a shop supply tools. Factory scan tools,brake lathe and ac machines yes. Everything else the employee ownes.

That's crazy and deducting from base hourly wages is illegal (in many states) so they probably can file a small claims case suits against the dealership's LLC, the owner, the GM (probably whose idea docking pay was) and the Service manager jointly and desperately. However it is almost certainly not worth the cost of court or attorney's fees he'd have to lay out to do it.

Originally Posted by GZRider
That's crazy and deducting from base hourly wages is illegal (in many states) so they probably can file a small claims case suits against the dealership's LLC, the owner, the GM (probably whose idea docking pay was) and the Service manager jointly and desperately. However it is almost certainly not worth the cost of court or attorney's fees he'd have to lay out to do it.

This small a claim can be done in small claims court without an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back