Working at a dealership

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a horrible place to work at. Makes me angry. Go ahead and PM me the dealer's name. If I'm going to be this upset, I might as well have the dealer's name.

My sister (who is now retired) spent her whole career working for a major bank. In her first few years there a guy from our home town wrote a cheque for $100. She cashed it for him because she knew him. The cheque was returned insufficient funds (NSF).

The bank deducted the $100 from her pay. That was a lot of money in those days, she didn't make all that much and couldn't really afford it. That was about 1963. No respectable employer would do something like that today.

She has seen him (let's call him Ernie) at homecomings since then but hasn't confronted him. One of his brothers became a banker (same bank) and another brother became an accountant.

People who floated cheques in those days didn't sting the bank, they stung the teller. It was a bit like a robbery but without the need for a mask.

Department of Labor here in NC will settle wage claims.

I worked for a trucking company in Chester, VA, and they took over a weeks pay from me because they said I abandoned their truck. Actually, I left their truck at their Charlotte, NC terminal. Filed a wage complaint with the NC Department of Labor, and the company ended up paying me double what they owed me.

They probably did that because they knew the kid was desperate and would not do anything. Bad employers will take advantage of desperation.

Larger companies can be bad because they give cowards things to hide behind and obfuscate the truth.

Originally Posted by GZRider
That's crazy and deducting from base hourly wages is illegal (in many states) so they probably can file a small claims case suits against the dealership's LLC, the owner, the GM (probably whose idea docking pay was) and the Service manager jointly and desperately. However it is almost certainly not worth the cost of court or attorney's fees he'd have to lay out to do it.

The state should be able to help. Docking pay like that is a crime. You should have a labor poster in your break room that explains exactly this, under the minimum wage section.
They could at least poke around and annoy this dealership. These guys suck, you and your coworker can do better. Time to start "organizing".
laugh.gif

It's a pretty firm guarantee that they're over-leveraged, in debt up to their eyeballs, in financial trouble, and the owner's doing coke and hookers.

Sorry you have to perform hard work like that for a meager $10/hr. Is cost of living really low or jobs sparse in KS?

Maybe university has something? I made $8/hr albeit 6hrs/week in 1990 working in math center(required A in Calculus). That was my first job in life. I got paid well but worked so hard to find skilled jobs I totally fudged my way into the 3rd party computer networking testing lab at university, computer jr Unix admin and HVAC tech helper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
Sorry you have to perform hard work like that for a meager $10/hr. Is cost of living really low or jobs sparse in KS? .
Seems to me there are lots of jobs available right now. I didn't think $10.50 was great by any means but it came pretty unacceptable with all the extra baggage.

Maybe university has something? I made $8/hr albeit 6hrs/week in 1990 working in math center(required A in Calculus). That was my first job in life. .

That wasn't too shabby for back then! My first on the books job in 1988 was $3.35/hr, which was minimum wage for my area at the time. I was a senior in HS.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Sorry you have to perform hard work like that for a meager $10/hr. Is cost of living really low or jobs sparse in KS? .
Seems to me there are lots of jobs available right now. I didn't think $10.50 was great by any means but it came pretty unacceptable with all the extra baggage.

Take a car apart then go tell them you need a raise right now.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by eljefino
Take a car apart then go tell them you need a raise right now.
lol.gif

Nice! Put ideas in his head. Oh man, I would be the type to do something like that. Go up to the parts counter with a disassembled computer module in your hand and tell them that the code reader indicated a bad PCM, ECU, etc..

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Holy sweet mother of pearl. That's bananas. ... Another reason to hate dealerships... You're telling me a dealership service dept. doesn't have their own tools? I always thought they checked them out from a counter, with their name on the ticket to keep them from stealing the tools.

I have never seen a shop supply tools. Factory scan tools,brake lathe and ac machines yes. Everything else the employee ownes.

Lube techs at dealers are not normally required to buy tools, The Independent shop I work for has a lube tech & he's not expected to have tools......Though he seems interested in the field & has a Harbor Freight roll cart with a basic hand tools.

Find another job, or arrange to go back to your old one... then quit without notice.

I would also document everything, who said what and when, you can use the voice recording mode of your smart phone to make notes of everything. Then turn them into the State when you leave. Here in Maryland it's the DLLR. I'm sure Kansas has the equivalent.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Find another job, or arrange to go back to your old one... then quit without notice.

I would also document everything, who said what and when, you can use the voice recording mode of your smart phone to make notes of everything. Then turn them into the State when you leave. Here in Maryland it's the DLLR. I'm sure Kansas has the equivalent.

What exactly could I even turn them in for? If you're talking about the pay reduction stuff I told those techs it was illegal, that concerns them and not me.

What exactly could I even turn them in for? If you're talking about the pay reduction stuff I told those techs it was illegal, that concerns them and not me.

Your turn is coming.

Your turn is coming.
Im 60% sure i'm quitting Monday. I guess my first question is going to be about the tools. I'm probably gonna ask about the tools and go from there. I really want this to work about but I don't see it happening.
So my turn probably won't happen.

Wow I would not walk, but RUN away from that place! They want you to buy $1000 worth of tools as an oil change tech making minimum wage? Insane. Sounds like there are lots of other sketchy things going on as well.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Wow I would not walk, but RUN away from that place! They want you to buy $1000 worth of tools as an oil change tech making minimum wage? Insane. Sounds like there are lots of other sketchy things going on as well.

Plus with nice tools that place in Florida will not hire you …

Here the lube techs supply their own tools but are guaranteed double minimum wage, somewhere around $22/hr, for every hour clocked in. Some of the dealers supply all the tools for lube techs so they can pay them minimum.

As far as making a tech pay for a comeback, I have only seen it done when the damage was done on purpose and that as after legal gave the thumbs up.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by jeepman3071

Plus with nice tools that place in Florida will not hire you …

What place in Florida ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back