Working at a dealership

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Trav
If you have to start buying tools for $10 an hour get out of there.

+1

When they took the $140 out of my paycheck, I would have been done with them right then and there.

Originally Posted by wag123
When they took the $140 out of my paycheck, I would have been done with them right then and there.

I'd have to agree. While I can't, in good faith, condone sabotage of someone's vehicle, I probably would be mad enough to do just that--start a job and leave it taken apart.

I have to say, don't burn any bridges here. Start looking and plan your exit. Don't leave on bad terms though--maybe the place will change hands, get better, and might be the place you want to return to. Some day. Get your next job lined up.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Wow I would not walk, but RUN away from that place! They want you to buy $1000 worth of tools as an oil change tech making minimum wage? Insane. Sounds like there are lots of other sketchy things going on as well.

Plus with nice tools that place in Florida will not hire you …

lol.gif
Right, you need a box full of crap tools in a plastic tool box or he wont hire you.

Originally Posted by wag123

I would have gotten real fast and loose with a smoke wrench. No kidding a good friend of mine burned a Saab down to friggin ground because the boss tried to hang something on him, by accident of course.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by marine65
Who works for $10.50 an hour anywhere?
Here in Colorado there is a labor shortage.
You can start at $13.50 at most fast food joints.
$10.50 run away.

At the Denver coliseum they had a sign on the building for janitors,starting pay $23.00 an hour.

Yep. Economy is booming...

Why stay at a crap job ?

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by 4WD
Wow I would not walk, but RUN away from that place! They want you to buy $1000 worth of tools as an oil change tech making minimum wage? Insane. Sounds like there are lots of other sketchy things going on as well.

What place in Florida ?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...of-mechanics-and-their-tools#Post4955760

That sounds bad, real bad.

Oil changers should be doing oil changes/tire rotations/tire replacements not trans flushes, diag, brakes etc. Only 2 flat rate techs makes it sound like there are big problems too unless it's a tiny dealer. We have at least 4 and our service department is always in turmoil and not that busy.

Our "career" oil changers tend to have their own tools, but a new oil changer wouldn't be expected to have much and would be provided basics.

If you can hold out, it might be good experience. Go ahead and get a back up in place though because that sounds like a [censored] show.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl

Oil changers should be doing oil changes/tire rotations/tire replacements not trans flushes, diag, brakes etc. Only 2 flat rate techs makes it sound like there are big problems too unless it's a tiny dealer. We have at least 4 and our service department is always in turmoil and not that busy.

Our "career" oil changers tend to have their own tools, but a new oil changer wouldn't be expected to have much and would be provided basics.

If you can hold out, it might be good experience. Go ahead and get a back up in place though because that sounds like a [censored] show.

I think i'm gonna give it a month and see what happens.

Around here $13 an hour gets your foot into a machine shop sweeping up while still in high school. If they like you and you show some ambition they'll send you to an apprenticeship. If you're on facebook, check out the page "Car Dealership Life" in your free time. Sure, some people are just whiney on there, but from a couple friends who work at dealerships they say it's pretty true at most but not all dealerships.

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by 4WD

lol.gif
Right, you need a box full of crap tools in a plastic tool box or he wont hire you.

lol.gif

I believe they sell the perfect set of tools in the WalMart toy aisle.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

Really? Have you not read all the posts here?
If you stay you deserve what happens,

Originally Posted by marine65
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

Really? Have you not read all the posts here?
If you stay you deserve what happens,

Luckily I have no bills, all money I make goes to doing what ever I want. I can leave anytime I please and not have to worry a second.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
FordBroncoVWJeta,

What are you in school for ?

Finishing up my Associates Degree in Criminal Justice.

Good situation to be in no bills and going to school. My only advice is get a job related to field interested in or internship type position while you are in school. A pre-req to free sampling of a career while being paid is being in school. You meet in school part don't waste that opportunity.

Well for those curious I quit today. Them trying to pin $#!^ on the techs was amazing.

One of the guys (An actual tech) did a starter for a BMW. Well the next day he was gone and some one finished up on the job. Well someone threw the box away for the starter. Well apparently can't they can't get the core back without the box, and was going to charge him $250 dollars for the core. Absolute nuts. They couldn't prove who did it. There are a handful of stories in a week just like this one. Absolutely nuts.

They charge the customer $200 for a four spark plug change ($250 for a 6 cyl), have a express tech do it that makes $10.50. A plastic clip breaks and they charge the tech for a small clip that breaks, eating away at half a days work.
Brake jobs are $400 on a front or rear axle. Express techs are doing them too.

What I learned from my couple weeks for working at a dealership. Never take it to the service department unless under warranty. Everyone is getting priced gouged, except the person that owns the stealership.

That's a shame that they treat their employees and customers that way, at least you were able to get out of there.

Another couple things I learned from VW dealer. Its not a VW if it doesn't leak oil and never buy one with a sun roof. SO MANY SUN ROOF PROBLEMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back