Effective AW/EP/FM Additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the general consensus is you don't need an additive, but I'm just curious what various additives are available and are actually proven to provide the desired effects in these various categories. Basically, what are some additives that are not snake oil.

Originally Posted by boosted2v
I know the general consensus is you don't need an additive, but I'm just curious what various additives are available and are actually proven to provide the desired effects in these various categories. Basically, what are some additives that are not snake oil.

Sorry, there is nothing you can purchase over the counter that will do what you propose.

The additives that you require are already present in a quality lubricant. Different lubricants perform differently in different applications, fluid analysis is the tool to find the one that works best in your application.
thumbsup2.gif

This is like saying "well sure I drink 2 glasses of milk everyday, but what I really need is a calcium supplement."
cheers3.gif

I think your question is too general. Do you have a specific issue you are trying to deal with? There's probably an oil available that is formulated to deal with it.

Last edited:
In my opinion Molybdenum MoS2 would fit the criteria for AW/EP/FM and is used in many of todays oils just for these purposes.

You can buy LiquiMoly MoS2 as an additive that many including myself use and like very much. I have several personal experiences of where it quieted down an engine and also provided a measurable increase in MPG.

But, many of these guys on here think that the oil blenders do a perfect job already and that no good oil needs an additive, because you know these oil blenders use nothing but the best additives and have the consumer and their vehicle in mind and would never be swayed by bottom lines or cost
wink.gif

Generally a little moly or polymer ester could work. LiquiMoly MOS2 or Ceratec or LubeGard Bio/Tech or Hy-Per Lube Zinc Replacement Additive (ester) qualifies in the "It Might Work" category.

What others are saying above is that you can pick a motor oil with some kind of qualification (SN, dexos1, etc.) tests showing its well-rounded, and look for a motor oil with rare kinds or amounts of additives.
For example, Eneos Racing Street SN 0w20 oil has 900 ppm moly, which is oddly high, so you'd think no extra moly is needed. Idemitsu Zepro oil is moly-ed up too.
Amsoil Signature Series oil has moderately high moly. Kendall full syn has quite a bit of titanium.
Also, LiquiMoly MolyGen oil has tungsten and moly, both FM with some other properties.
Those oils are ready-to-go, fully engineered for most applications, and don't require you to guess if an additive is going to work or not.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Generally a little moly or polymer ester could work. LiquiMoly MOS2 or Ceratec or LubeGard Bio/Tech or Hy-Per Lube Zinc Replacement Additive (ester) qualifies in the "It Might Work" category.

What others are saying above is that you can pick a motor oil with some kind of qualification (SN, dexos1, etc.) tests showing its well-rounded, and look for a motor oil with rare kinds or amounts of additives.
For example, Eneos Racing Street SN 0w20 oil has 900 ppm moly, which is oddly high, so you'd think no extra moly is needed. Idemitsu Zepro oil is moly-ed up too.
Amsoil Signature Series oil has moderately high moly. Kendall full syn has quite a bit of titanium.
Also, LiquiMoly MolyGen oil has tungsten and moly, both FM with some other properties.
Those oils are ready-to-go, fully engineered for most applications, and don't require you to guess if an additive is going to work or not.

Well stated.

All types of additives available, Store shelves are stocked to the ceilings with various additives for oil, fuel, antifreeze/coolant, transmissions power steering ,diffs, etc. In a short term emergency like a small oil leak or radiator leak an additive might slow the leak down for a while and allow you to drive it home to do a real repair to fix the leak, but that is about the only time an additive would serve a purpose and that would be for a short time temp repair at best.

The main desired effect additives have is that they lighten the wallet and fatten the cash register of the store that sells the stuff. Todays oils and other fluids such as coolants and transmissions. power steering etc, do not need extra additives added to the mix.

Don't add much of this, but some Berryman's half way through an oil change interval or so can boost the degraded additives:

from a previous thread:
Originally Posted by MolaKule

Petroleum Oil... 64742-65-0... 45-55% (Group II neutral oil)
Polybutylene Succinimide confidential... 9-12% (VII and dispersant)
Dialkylated Diphenylamine... 68411-46-1... 6-10% (Antioxidant)
Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphate proprietary... 2-5% (ZDDP - Anti-Wear)
Organomolybdenum Complex proprietary... 1-2% )(MoDTC, friction Modifier)

All of the above will be found in engine oils off the shelf.

The main point of Berryman Engine Oil Extender is to be added halfway or so through a long oil change interval, not to replace engine oils.
This way, the high concentration of AW, FM, AntiOx, VII, and dispersant will help replace some of the additives in the original oil fill that break apart, chemically change, degrade with age and exposure to acids, heat, and pressure, etc.

Sure engine oils have these chemicals, yet not in near the concentration as Berryman.
For example, at 1% moly, that's 10,000 ppm, which would only require 1.6 oz (a small fraction of the bottle) in a 5-quart sump to about double the amount of moly in the oil!! Most syn oils have about 80 ppm, and 1.6 oz of Berryman will add 100 ppm to that. ... ZDDP and the other chemicals needed, similar results.

Don't add much of this, but some Berryman's half way through an oil change interval or so can boost the degraded additives:

from a previous thread:
Originally Posted by MolaKule

Petroleum Oil... 64742-65-0... 45-55% (Group II neutral oil)
Polybutylene Succinimide confidential... 9-12% (VII and dispersant)
Dialkylated Diphenylamine... 68411-46-1... 6-10% (Antioxidant)
Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphate proprietary... 2-5% (ZDDP - Anti-Wear)
Organomolybdenum Complex proprietary... 1-2% )(MoDTC, friction Modifier)

All of the above will be found in engine oils off the shelf.

The main point of Berryman Engine Oil Extender is to be added halfway or so through a long oil change interval, not to replace engine oils.
This way, the high concentration of AW, FM, AntiOx, VII, and dispersant will help replace some of the additives in the original oil fill that break apart, chemically change, degrade with age and exposure to acids, heat, and pressure, etc.

Sure engine oils have these chemicals, yet not in near the concentration as Berryman.
For example, at 1% moly, that's 10,000 ppm, which would only require 1.6 oz (a small fraction of the bottle) in a 5-quart sump to about double the amount of moly in the oil!! Most syn oils have about 80 ppm, and 1.6 oz of Berryman will add 100 ppm to that. ... ZDDP and the other chemicals needed, similar results.

Does Berryman's Oil Extender also have a full DI package, meaning metal inhibitors, detergents, and corrosion inhibitors? No it doesn't. It has an ashless dispersant in it but how much is enough?

Does Berryman's remove metal particulates that causes catalyzation with metals that leads to hyperoxides and oxidation, etc? No it doesn't and that's why we do oil changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back