Any independent empirical evidence that diesel fuel additives actually work?

Outside of YouTube channel like project farm. Is there any independent empirical evidence that diesel fuel additives actually work? Now I am not talking about the winter additives to keep the diesel from gelling. I am just talking about you fill up and dump some fuel additive in. I don’t want what someone has experienced or what a company claims it can do that’s called antidotal evidence and can’t be independently verified. It’s nice to know that it works for a person but it’s not empirically proven. So if anyone has independent sources that prove what works. I would be interested.

Can you define "it works"
One can speculate the OP is referring to prevention of CP4 fuel pump catastrophic failure- which damages the entire fuel system and costs over $10k USD to repair. It is thought the diesel quality in the US is significantly below the quality of diesel sold in Europe. Aftermarket additives are added to US diesel fuel to improve lubrication of the CP4 fuel pump, resulting in prevention of CP4 fuel pump catastrophic failure.

The major marketers of additives for diesel fuels have substantial evidence on their respective websites. It's not "independent" data, but it's still good info.
Look up:
Stanadyne
PowerService
Howes

I will not use diesel fuel without adding my own choice of one of those. Whereas I'm not a fan of gasoline additives, I'm a big fan of the diesel additives, but only from those sources above. I called the tech line at PowerService and they connected me to the chemical engineer who talked to me at length for more than 1/2 hour about the testing and conditions I should be concerned about. I became a lifelong fan of them given the time they took to help me understand the basics of diesel fuel additives. I also would trust/use Stanadyne, but it's just not as cost effective in my area.

Last edited:
Below please find a copy of a post from last 24 hours from a Ford SuperDuty owner with a 6.7 diesel and the cost to have his fuel system replaced from a fuel pump failure. It should be noted that when the Cp4 fails, the truck is out of service, and it can take weeks to get the truck back on the road. And the repair requires a lot of perfection cleaning of metal shrapnel- so if the tach is not a perfectionist the truck owner may have costly issues just around the corner. This owner replace hos Bosch made Cp4 fuel pump with a aftermarket alternative pump from S&S diesel. The S&S aftermarket solution is promoted to be a solution to bad diesel fuel causing catastrophic damage to the fuel system resulting in $10k USD repairs.

Got it back Wednesday, 250 miles on the pump so far, gotta say I love that I’m not in constant anxiety over a bad batch of diesel, runs like it used to - I’ve had the truck 10 years (2014) and I love it all over again. Can’t recommend CenTex Diesel in New Braunfels enough - I see now why they have a weeks-long backlog for work. Highly professional, constant communication and no hidden charges or upsell pressure. Great group and will get all of my business going forward - pump, rails, injectors and reseal came in just over $14k.

This is the one that I think of, when someone asks for good data about diesel fuel additives. In fact, it is the only one that I have seen, that is done well, and that I have confidence in.

The only problem is, it is 14 years old, so I have my doubts as to how valid it is any longer. Are there new products that make claims that need to be validated? Have those products in the study changed their products, for better or worse?

Based upon this study, I decided to go with Opti-Lube for my motorhome. Even though the study is old, it's the best I've seen.

This is the one that I think of, when someone asks for good data about diesel fuel additives. In fact, it is the only one that I have seen, that is done well, and that I have confidence in.

The only problem is, it is 14 years old, so I have my doubts as to how valid it is any longer. Are there new products that make claims that need to be validated? Have those products in the study changed their products, for better or worse?

Based upon this study, I decided to go with Opti-Lube for my motorhome. Even though the study is old, it's the best I've seen.
It’s still a good study and it’s a start.

Here's some ancedotal evidence for you: one cold morning you could hear an injector on my dad's truck ticking louder than normal, 8 oz of tcw3 shut it up. Another morning, just for fun i started the sprinter van, listened to the injectors make their faint ticks, and then with it running i added some 2 stroke oil and the injectors got noticably quieter (my dad noticed the difference too) both vehicles have cp3 pumps not the fail prone cp4

Back