Ester engine lubricants additive

Hello there,
I'm planning to add ester engine lubricants addtive that also contain base oil other than ester and some anti wear (heaxognal boron nitride). My question is, what is the limitation to add ester into 800ml moped cranckcase? I don't know how much ester inside the additive but it comes in 32 ml package. The producer says 32 ml is adequate for a small engine but I'm curious. Can I pour 3 x 32ml all of it into my engine?
Please advise.

Hello there,
I'm planning to add ester engine lubricants addtive that also contain base oil other than ester and some anti wear (heaxognal boron nitride). My question is, what is the limitation to add ester into 800ml moped cranckcase? I don't know how much ester inside the additive but it comes in 32 ml package. The producer says 32 ml is adequate for a small engine but I'm curious. Can I pour 3 x 32ml all of it into my engine?
Please advise.
What your are describing sounds like some sort of useless snake oil produced by who knows...
Just run Mobil 1 and you'll be good.

There's no one who can greenlight this from this forum who could do so with a leg of truth to stand on.
That doesn't mean you can't do it, but I don't think you'll scoop up any more meaningful confidence from here.
The best luck would be to ask the company who made it for how to use it best.

If you have to add a supplement to your oil, you're using the wrong oil. Here's a c/p of the answer to gave to something similar on FB recently.

I'll stop just short of calling it a gimmick, by like a nut hair, as they do show decent friction reduction at light loads. However, the MoDTC already in most oils outperforms it across the board, and unlike the borate, the benefit of MoDTC only gets better with heat and load. HBNs have their place in heavy greases, where colloidal suspension isn't an issue, and can have synergistic effects with MoDTP in such applications. In engine oil though, you're not going to see any bump of the needle to make it worthwhile. Supplement brands like that like to show wear scars from something like a one arm bandit, showcasing improved anti-scuffing performance, but that has no translation to engine oil performance.

Also to note... HBN is a salt of boric acid. Most engine oils already contain a liquid analog of boric acid as an extreme pressure additive. When that borate encounters water in the crankcase (which is inevitable), it creates boric acid except not like the additive mentioned above. I haven't tested this, but chemistry wise, it would make sense that the service life of the oil would be negatively impacted by this reaction as you create a weak acid that the detergents then have to deal with.

I don't think it's worth the cardboard packaging it comes in. To put it another way, we don't see HBNs in high end racing oils where cost isn't as much of a factor as outright performance. If they were so great, we'd see them used in engine oils already. There's a reason we don't.

If you want something with ester in it, High Performance Lubricants Engine Cleaner SAE 30 is your best bet. You get a load of ester plus a complete additive package so nothing gets diluted down.

@demarpaint unfortunately I already bought the additives, so I better use it and I have plenty of cheap conventional lubricants that I also need to use.

@Sandstorm thank you for the advice, I'm planning to buy some Mobil1 lubricants in the near future

@wypol what is HPL?

@Overfill will do, thank you for the advice

@RDY4WAR what if a lubricant contain 3 anti wear? Zddp, MoDtc and HBN3?

@RDY4WAR what if a lubricant contain 3 anti wear? Zddp, MoDtc and HBN3?

All oils already contain ZDDP to a sufficient concentration for anything made in the last 25 years and still more than half the engines made before then. The MoDTC is already in most oils. The HBN will get in MoDTC's way more than anything else. You don't need the supplement. Just use engine oil.

It's not simple matter of taking a base oil A and new additive B
and just mixing them together... Guessing like that doesn't insure a
high quality lubricant... You have no way of knowing how homogeneous is
the new blend. it's a crap shoot if the additives will not settle
out... if they remain completely dispersed within the lubricant... A
garage home mixer has none of manufacturer know how that goes into
insuring a quality blend that will protect your engine...

You can also run into additive clash. It's seen quite frequently in oil formulating where two friction modifiers used together produce a worse friction coefficient than either one used independently. The same additive top treatment that produces a lower friction coefficient with an SN(+) add pack may produce a worse result with an SP add pack or a Euro add pack, for example. The supplement companies know this hence the use of specific terminology like "up to" and "capable of" to give defer liability and avoid an FTC claim.

Many thanks to all who answered my question, I really appreciate it

Back