GM Variable Compression Engine - Engineering Explained

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many tries and beta testers to make this reliable?
also how is this different than infiniti's variable compression solution?

It has to be different enough to patent..

maybe they should keep the bean counters away until after it is perfected. Or just keep them away period.

Rod

Kind of a cool setup. I'm not at all sure the very same thing can't be done with valve timing coupled with slightly larger displacement.

The 19th century ICE sure has legs. You would think if people are so much smarter now, they could invent something new.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Kind of a cool setup. I'm not at all sure the very same thing can't be done with valve timing coupled with slightly larger displacement.

I guess there is nothing wrong with this as long as they can make it robust and tolerant (idiot proof) ie long oil change doesnt wreck it.

but I'm skeptical we wont be beta testers.. similar to the first few years of the zf-9speed transmission

IMHO its change just for the idea of change. the engineer has to justified his job. how about this test. blind fold him. two cars. NO 1 a 1968 new yorker. then put him in a new toyota Avalon. and see if he can tell the diff. i want to beleave i would know the New Yorker. but maybe not.

GM has issues with simpler stuff, god bless the beta testers if they try to make this more complicated system work!

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
The 19th century ICE sure has legs. You would think if people are so much smarter now, they could invent something new.

I think about this all the time, or even if we had 100 years of improvement on a more efficient diesel engine.

Originally Posted by Audios

I think about this all the time, or even if we had 100 years of improvement on a more efficient diesel engine.

The beauty of ICE is the ability to burn so many different fuel types & the repairability as well.
Once we run out of so much hydrocarbon fuel man will develop other engine alternatives.
But not til we paint ourselves into a corner.

II
Originally Posted by vw7674

The beauty of ICE is the ability to burn so many different fuel types & the repairability as well.
Once we run out of so much hydrocarbon fuel man will develop other engine alternatives.
But not til we paint ourselves into a corner.

Leave it for the Greenpeace rallies.

Originally Posted by vw7674

The world will never run out of gasoline.

Originally Posted by benjy
GM has issues with simpler stuff, god bless the beta testers if they try to make this more complicated system work!

My thoughts exactly. And that goes for Nissan as well.

You can achieve the same thing in many different ways:

1) GM's variable compression
2) Nissan's variable compression
3) Toyota's "pseudo Atkinson cycle" in hybrid (leaving intake valve open partially on compression)
4) Small turbo and keep the downsized engine at closer to peak power
5) Variable cylinders like Honda / GM and keeping the active cylinders closer to peak
6) Individual valve control like GM / Tula
7) Hybrid + small engine

I'm sure there are more, but not sure if there are cheaper.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
You can achieve the same thing in many different ways:

1) GM's variable compression
2) Nissan's variable compression
3) Toyota's "pseudo Atkinson cycle" in hybrid (leaving intake valve open partially on compression)
4) Small turbo and keep the downsized engine at closer to peak power
5) Variable cylinders like Honda / GM and keeping the active cylinders closer to peak
6) Individual valve control like GM / Tula
7) Hybrid + small engine

I'm sure there are more, but not sure if there are cheaper.

But reliability is the key so I'll trust when certain OE's perfect it. I don't want to be the guinea-pig.
wink.gif

I'd like to see a hybrid electric that has a tiny (800cc - 1.2 L) sized 3-cyl turbo diesel running at "perfect" BSFC/HP getting 100 MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back