The K-Car - One of the cars that helped save Chrysler

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister had a circa '79 Omni, which was very troublesome. Weird problems like the impeller slipping off the water pump shaft, rubber carburetor mounting damper-gasket disintegrating ...

My mother had a circa '87 Plymouth Caravelle with the 2.5. She initially thought it was a Ford, because the Plymouth dealer had taken over the building occupied for decades by the Ford dealer. I don't recall any mechanical problems, although the fancy-looking seats were horrible.

My mother also had the slightly larger '92 Dodge Die-Nasty V6. Not much trouble, until the transmission started to act funny at ~40K---like those of most most early-90s Chysler V6s. She got rid of it just in time. The Camry that replaced in 1999 is still going after 19½ years, 139k miles, and very few repairs. I drove it 140 miles last week.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Yeah the Omni's were a problem for most. Especially in wet weather. I'll never forget that a passenger side mirror was an option and not standard.
lol.gif

My LTD was the same way. It never came with the passenger mirror. My dad was at SGI salvage looking for a body part for one of the taxis, and he came across one, and it was a quick and easy install.

i thought this was an interesting thing. Lee Iaccoca hired into ford as an engineer. but didnt like designing valve springs. then he went in to sales. at Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back