Laser Removal of Carbon build up

Came across this video which laser is utilized to clean different parts of the engine. In this video, the results look impressive.

Why is this technology is not widespread if it has demonstrated success?

IIRC, lasers deliver only a small percentage of "their power" to a target.
The required disassembly leaves conventional methods more efficient, no?
In other words, the laser treatment might not offer any advantages.

edit: ....with no new equipment to buy.

PERSONAL NOTE: I had cataract surgery in both eyes. Pure knife work with replacement lenses.
My sister had lens replacement with what sounded like extensive laser cutting to reshape astigmatism.
After watching the laser in the video, it comes as no surprise that she's now forever a slave to soothing drops and hot towel compresses (3X per day).
I wouldn't show her this video with all its crackling and hissing noises.
Good for parts cleaning or industrial etching, but not eyeballs.

Last edited:
Came across this video which laser is utilized to clean different parts of the engine. In this video, the results look impressive.

Why is this technology is not widespread if it has demonstrated success?
It's also used for rust removal. The main reason it isn't in more widespread use is the cost of the equipment.

It does work within the confines of what's a proper application. Not all are.

It's also used for rust removal. The main reason it isn't in more widespread use is the cost of the equipment.

It does work within the confines of what's a proper application. Not all are.

I'm starting to see videos of farm equipment with lasers to kill pests (while sparing honey bees) and weeds. Pretty cool tech that's getting developed well!

Is there anything lasers cannot do?

IMG_3329.jpeg

Anything I can use a laser for is good in my book. Pretty cool stuff actually. I'm in for a laser valve clean instead of walnut blasting. Sounds so much cooler.

IIRC, lasers deliver only a small percentage of "their power" to a target.
The required disassembly leaves conventional methods more efficient, no?
In other words, the laser treatment might not offer any advantages.

edit: ....with no new equipment to buy.

PERSONAL NOTE: I had cataract surgery in both eyes. Pure knife work with replacement lenses.
My sister had lens replacement with what sounded like extensive laser cutting to reshape astigmatism.
After watching the laser in the video, it comes as no surprise that she's now forever a slave to soothing drops and hot towel compresses (3X per day).
I wouldn't show her this video with all its crackling and hissing noises.
Good for parts cleaning or industrial etching, but not eyeballs.
I had cataract surgery in both eyes. I had to pay extra for the acrylic replacement lenses to correct astigmatism. There was no reshaping of any anatomical part of my eyes.

cost most likely
Yeah…. Look, you guys know that I have no problems spending money on tools. I forget to post all the tools I buy in the “new tool” thread, but new tools show up at my house all the time.

That said, a laser cleaner costs a LOT. They appear to start at about $10,000. Which is equal to, or greater, than what I paid for several of the cars in my signature, so…

That said, a laser cleaner costs a LOT. They appear to start at about $10,000. Which is equal to, or greater, than what I paid for several of the cars in my signature, so…
There's some on AliExpress for a couple hundred bucks if you're feeling lucky lol

Back