2020 KIA Soul Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daughter purchased a new KIA Soul 1.6 Turbo a month ago and she had a check engine light 2 days ago, 1006 miles and it turns out they had to replace the Turbo. I was a little shocked and surprised the turbo would quit so soon, anyway when the CEL came on she said the engine would stumble and lose power. Car runs great now, hope this isn't a hint to the future of the Soul Turbo.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I wonder who makes the turbo for it?

I believe it's Borg Warner but I might be wrong on that.

Sounds more like a turbo waste gate hang-up rather than the turbo. I seriously doubt this is a hint of the future for Soul turbos. That is really jumping to conclusions. What was the code reading? Ed

When I worked on turbo actuator systems, I wished I could put razor wire around the actuator rod. No, it's not a lift point for the whole engine. No, it's not a handle to carry the turbo. No, it's not a positioning lever for the engine and trans when you are moving it around. A big side load on these would bend the rod and/or stress the actuator innards. It would "work fine" for a few cycles and then start degrading rapidly. Industry term for that is a somewhat morbid one: infant mortality.

Usually when something catastrophic happens such as garbage in the oil supply, FOD on the compressor or turbine side, you'll hear a cat with it's tail slammed in a door, it as well as feel the effects. Actuator failures are more nuanced and quiet. Depending on the system configuration and your driving style, you might not notice it for a while. Imagine that the wastegate wasn't able to open when commanded. This won't be that much of an issue if you drive like an old duffer. The engine computer watches the manifold pressure, though. When it's too high for too long (like when you are merging onto the highway), it usually takes control of the throttle plate, closing it a lot, in a jarring manner. Almost like it was disconnected. Seems like maybe what happened?

The bummer of it is that a relatively inexpensive part might have taken the car down. It doesn't make any sense to have dealer technicians swapping out pneumatic actuators though, so a whole new turbo goes on.

Lots of silly stuff happens during assembly and has nothing to do with long term durability of the turbos. I'd put this one in that bin.

Originally Posted by Malo83
Daughter purchased a new KIA Soul 1.6 Turbo....

I often watch women how they treat their cars.....

its -10C outside.....she turns engine on.....and in a same second puts into "drive" with a loud "bang" because all the fluids are not where they supposed to be yet....and goes away.....day after the day

banana2.gif

as with anything new we are the beta testers. when the warranty is gone its $$$$

WE were beta testers......some 20yrs ago.....with all those JTDs...TDIs....TJets.....TFSis......younameit...... What are you whining about now here?
smile.gif

It works....unless you are tehnically iliterate....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Eddie
Sounds more like a turbo waste gate hang-up rather than the turbo. I seriously doubt this is a hint of the future for Soul turbos. That is really jumping to conclusions. What was the code reading? Ed

This is the write up when the job was done,

Check Engine Light TECH(S) : 5990
Customer states check engine light is on, Check and advise, verified check engine light is on, scan the ECM & got the code PO29900, contacted tech line & advised to check the wire harness & connector & pin & all is OK, recommend to replace turbo assy, case #13127961.

Replaced turbo assy, cleared the code, road tested the vehicle & the system is now OK.

VISALIA KIA.

Underboost code. Assuming the air hoses were secure, it either had a seized turbine or the wastegate was stuck open.

Originally Posted by Malo83
Originally Posted by Eddie

This is the write up when the job was done,

Check Engine Light TECH(S) : 5990
Customer states check engine light is on, Check and advise, verified check engine light is on, scan the ECM & got the code PO29900, contacted tech line & advised to check the wire harness & connector & pin & all is OK, recommend to replace turbo assy, case #13127961.

Replaced turbo assy, cleared the code, road tested the vehicle & the system is now OK.

VISALIA KIA.

Notice that it was a Techline case...

Welcome to the new world where you need to have buy-in from multiple parties to proceed with a larger repair on a new model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back