How Often Should You Change Your Oil Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep it simple. If the manufactures says I should change every two oil changes, that is what I do. I don't have the time or dollars to have a lab analysis on my filter for different lengths of engine run time. Ed

I change oil/filter once a year.

Whether it's needed or not, the sight of hot oil draining out & liquid gold being poured in is therapeutic, at worst.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by dnewton3
The linked Napa info is just drivel. Not one shred of data other than "cheap insurance" advice, suitable for the masses.

There are, as has been discussed before many times, some OEMs that actually recommend the FCI at 2x the OCI. My daughter's 2000 Galant was one of them. 7.5k miles for normal oil changes; 15k miles for normal filter changes. Engine finally failed at 210k miles with a cracked head; not the fault of the oil or filter. I took the head off a few times in a vain attempt to diagnose and repair, but ultimately it was doomed. Under the valve cover was super clean. Cylinder walls were still faintly cross-hatched. All this on dino oil "normal" changes.

Some Honda MC engines also have the FCI at 2x the OCI.

The reality is that the Napa linked info is just mindless drivel for the mindless masses. There's no tangible data discussed. It's just hype to sell oil and filters.

As has been exemplified here many times with many experiments over the years, OFCIs can easily be run at 2x or 3x the OEM recommended limits in many applications, and yet wear rates and sludge concerns remain low.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All day, everyday, and every day that ends with a "y"...

If I get out 92% of my old oil pit when I drain it... Why am I worried about 8 percent old oil left behind?? 156 ozs total. 144 typically come out when I change it...

I bet some larger Fram Ultra, Mobil 1 and Wix XP oil filters could go 30k miles plus. Easily. Oil matters way more than a new filter each time. And a air filter matters more than that. A good Fram Ultra air filter that is 99% per ISO 5011 brand new is more important. A Wix air filter is even a touch better at 99.5% per ISO 5011. And look at the beta ratios per 100,000 particles passed... It is quite a difference between a poor efficiency air filter and a good one.

Very good points.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

No but I don't run 5w-30 in my shoes.

Nor does he run 5w-30 in his underwear.

I think its a stupid analogy to begin with, but since it was already present I responded to illustrate how flawed it was. Take it up with the guy who started it.

And look at the beta ratios per 100,000 particles passed... It is quite a difference between a poor efficiency air filter and a good one.

Same thing is going on when replacing the word "air" with "oil".

Originally Posted by DejaVue
I've seen enough short-OCI oil filters that have made me say, "ew... I'm glad that's being changed."
Oil is the lifeblood of the engine and is the most important filter on the car. I'll pay the $5.

Would you pay the $5, if the county put an oil filter landfill in your backyard? Please conserve.
.... and telling us you recycle them won't work here. For something like 85% of us throw them in the garbage.... many times with a little oil remaining in them.

Last edited:
We should do away with quart and gallon plastic oil bottles along with those frequently thrown away oil filters.

Best to buy oil in 55 gallon drums, and convert them into pork smokers when they're empty.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Would you pay the $5, if the county put an oil filter landfill in your backyard?

Thanks for the reminder. I have to bring some used oil and antifreeze to my local landfill that's been sitting in the garage all winter.

Would you pay the $5, if the county put an oil filter landfill in your backyard? Please conserve.
.... and telling us you recycle them won't work here. For something like 85% of us throw them in the garbage.... many times with a little oil remaining in them.

I think most BITOG DIYers don't throw their oil filters in the garbage at all actually, they do the responsible thing and take them to the recycling center along with their used oil.

You must be recovering from the spring thaw Patman.

You should know the responsible thing to do is to cut the filter open and post pics on here.

Recycling afterwards is A-OK, as long as there're carbon credit tax write offs
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Patman

I think most BITOG DIYers don't throw their oil filters in the garbage at all actually, they do the responsible thing and take them to the recycling center along with their used oil.

This! O'Really's takes both my recycled oil and used filters!

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
And look at the beta ratios per 100,000 particles passed... It is quite a difference between a poor efficiency air filter and a good one.

Same thing is going on when replacing the word "air" with "oil".

True.. but still a huge difference...

Far more particulates in the air... And volume of air per minute a motor takes in going down the road is astronomical.

With a naturally aspirated motor, a good EGR valve, no other motor issues... A ton less internal stuff forming in the oil.
Of course a GDI/turbo motor is a different circumstance.

Originally Posted by edwardh1
Napa just wants to sell.
windshield wipers do the job best when new and clean

^^ Correct ^^

I refuse to accept "Technical advise" from advertisement flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back