Is the filter good for 10K miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an '18 Taco. Toyota recommends full synthetic changed every 10K miles. Assuming the oil is good for 10K miles, is the filter?

Should be with the OEM Toyota filter. If not sure, just change the filter at 5000 miles but leave the oil in until 10k miles.

I would think the filter would be fine. What's the owner manual say?

If you're on dirt roads a lot, change your oil filter (with a Fram Ultra, good to 80% 5 microns, spanks the Toy OEM filter....) every 5,000 miles.
Otherwise, a Fram Ultra easily does 10,000 miles, and they say it will do 20,000 miles, but I'd cut it off at no more than 15k miles just to be sure.

I just noticed the "southern AZ" location for this. Certainly make sure your air filter air path is tightly sealed, but that is a place I'd definitely want a Fram Ultra, holds more dirt, change it at 10k miles in that dusty Mad Max style s. AZ desert dusty area.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Fram Ultra easily does 10,000 miles, and they say it will do 20,000 miles, but I'd cut it off at no more than 15k miles just to be sure.

You do realize that if they guarantee it for 20k miles, they probably tested them reliably to at least 25 or 30k before stamping the legal seal of approval on 20k, don't you? There's no way a company would take the monetary risk of having to replace a $5k+ motor for their $9 filter.... Just as Linctex is working on running a Motorcraft filter to 50,000 miles, Fram most likely did extensive, extreme filter OCI intervals. 15k on an engine that was built in 2018, and a Toyota no less... to change an Ultra at 15k may as well just burn a $20 bill. $10 for the filter he took off, and $10 for the new filter. Heck, 53' Stude ran a Tough Guard to 20k on a Toyota and it looked great... with FIBER endcaps!

I run three 5k OCIs on a Fram Ultra. After that my OCD kicks in and it gets changed.

Last edited:
In the manual of my Highlander where it called for a 10,000 mile (16,000km) oil change it specifically said that the filter and oil should be changed together. So your "Taco" would be fine so long as something in your manual doesn't say otherwise which I highly doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back