Friction material backing plate Hawk HPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I went on a 2500 mile roadtrip to see Eclipse, I insepcted my brakes, cleaned and greased the ways. I found the shim, which was riveted and glued to backing plate, had separated from the pad on the outer side of drivers side.

img_6673copy.jpg

Hawk HPS pads on a 1989 dodge B250 light 3/4 ton, 5 lugs.

Brake calipers are Napa premium replaced at same time as HPS pads were installed on ~1 year old Brembo rotors. Most braking components have been recently replaced recently. Mileage on these pads is likely no more than 7K miles.

The sheared shim was on the outer pad, which is captive within the caliper.

img_6674copy.jpg

I did not notice any other problems with brake pad and reinstalled without shim, greasing all ways and friction points and went on my road trip.

There was not a constant squealing but slight right turns at lower speeds would make high pitched brake noise, and it progressively got worse during the 2500 mile roadtrip. My IR temp gun revealed both rotor hats running the same temperature and MPGS were above expected so I did not freak out on the noise, as annoying as it was.

Today I returned home and inspected brakes on drivers side again. On a tangential note, I had to buy new tires along the way and found they had massively overtightened the lug nuts, I was barely able to loosen them with my 220 LBs and an 18 inch breaker bar.

Pulling off the brake pads revealed this:
img_6670copy.jpg

img_6675copy.jpg

img_6671copy.jpg

These pads have been by far the grippiest pads I've ever used on this vehicle. Their stopping power gave supreme confidence compared to other most other pads which were anemic at best.

I was very impressed until recently.

Comments as to how, why the backing plate sheared off the rivets and glue, and as to why the friction material has separated from backing plate?

The stopping power and brake function is still excellent, but I will be replacing the pads anyway. Gonna fire off an Email to Hawk too, see what they say. They were not cheap.

Yes, ask Hawk for replacement pads. I have had ALL of the friction material on Hawk pads (HT10) peel off the backing plate of my Camaro. This made the pedal go right to the floor the next time I tried to use the brakes. It's not a situation to ignore and just assume everything will be OK.

I used Hawk on a few different cars. NOT ANYMORE, the quality was poor and the brake dust was terrible. I now just use Akebono ceramics.

The brake dust on my HPS pads is minor.

I sent off an Email to Hawk with photos above, and a few more attached, perhaps get a response on a weekday.

Got an E-mail back asking to send them the proof of purchase "so we can get this reviewed for warranty for you"

Wondering if a screenshot receipt from Amazon previous order page suffices, I've not kept the box, AFAIK.

Add me to the list of unhappy Hawk pad owners. At low speeds I can't lock up the brakes. I'm afraid I'll roll into someone at a stop someday. I bought the HPS variety.

Hawk has sent out a replacement pair of pads under warranty.

These have been, by far, the best performing pads I've ever used on this vehicle, so I am glad I get to start afresh. I just hope they do not start making the same noise which might again indicate the backing pad separation.

I will be resanding the rotors and performing their recommended 'bedding in' procedure when they arrive.

I installed Hawk Performance Ceramic pads on my car 15 years ago and guessing the mileage, approximately 90k miles ago. It was time to change them out as they were worn down to 3/32. When I took them off, the pad material was completely separated from the backing plates which really surprised me. I will not be buying Hawk pads again.

This happened to me on a set of Performance Friction pads installed on my '89 A2 GTI 16V back in the day, when those pads were first on the market for that car.
frown.gif
shocked2.gif

hmm. something to watch for. I've used a couple of sets of hawk pads and like you found their performance to be excellent and the dusting to be as expected.

I buy cheap " lifetime " pads . The next pads , after that are on the vendor , from now on . Rarely buy rotors . Never buy hardware , unless it comes with the pads .

Thank God , I do not live in the salt belt ! :)

Most all previous pads on this vehicle had anemic braking performance which could not lock up with two feet and 220lbs of weight on brake pedal. These pad's performance is night and day better.

The
Warranty replacement hawk hps pads have had zero issues zigzagging through the Rockies last november. The dust from 8k+Miles washed off easily. No sign of separation, as I just cleaned and lubed brakes when rotating tires.

Most all previous pads on this vehicle had anemic braking performance which could not lock up with two feet and 220lbs of weight on brake pedal. These pad's performance is night and day better.

The
Warranty replacement hawk hps pads have had zero issues zigzagging through the Rockies last november. The dust from 8k+Miles washed off easily. No sign of separation, as I just cleaned and lubed brakes when rotating tires.

I installed Hawk HPS pads on the front of my Accord years ago and was extremely impressed with their performance. I eventually installed another set on the rear of the Accord, and the front of my Ranger and my Bronco. They don't make a set for the Escalade, so I had to go with another brand for that. But I try to use Hawk HPS whenever I can. They have excellent stopping performance, low dust, and never wear out! The pads I installed on the Accord have almost no visible wear on them after over 6 years and 40k miles of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back