T5 15w40 for my bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a little about the Shell Rotella T4 CJ-4/SM 15w40 and also the T6 5w40 synthetic, but what about the T5 15w40? What's the difference between the T4 and the T5 and can I use T5 in my '05 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 wet clutch bike?

I ran "whatever" 15W-40 was on sale in my 1999 Suzuki Marauder VZ800 for 84,000 miles.

Any oil you just mentioned should get yours to a similar mileage
grin.gif

I don't believe SOPUS ever "self-certified" T5 as being JASO MA/MA2 compliant. (None of the Rotella oils are listed in the official JASO database, but T4 and T6 do claim, by SOPUS, to be JASO compliant)

That being said, one of the best wet clutch bike UOAs on this site was from a guy who ran T5 for around 5k miles.

In this link of some of my UOA's... 4th column in from the right, labeled at the top. T5 did a great job in my ZRX 1200.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4371237/1/kawasaki-zrx1200-various-uoas

Other link that has a few more oils tested since then...

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...1200-mobil-1-10w40-4t-racing#Post4865603

Full syn T6 15w40 would probably be better choice based on what I know (of synthetic vs syn blend/conventional in general in shared sump and shearing) if you really stretch the OCI out to longer mileage. Otherwise, heck yes on T5 15w40.

Use T5 syn blend 15w40 with confidence.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Reddy45
but T4 and T6 do claim, by SOPUS, to be JASO compliant)
That being said, one of the best wet clutch bike UOAs on this site was from a guy who ran T5 for around 5k miles.

I think that I might change my mind on using the synthetics because it appears based on what i read that syn-blend T5 15w40 and both syn T6 5w40 and the full-syn T6 15w40 are for those wanting to stretch out their OCI longer.
I don't need a longer OCI so I don't think I need the synthetics.

Others will chime in, but their are advantages of synthetic oils.
1.) Better flow in cold(er) temps. Engines start easier with less wear.
2.) Man made synthetics are better at resisting viscosity changes at high temps.
3.) Syn oils are slicker and run smoother/cooler.

Some bikes tend to use synthetic oils faster than dino oils. If your bike is a "dripper" or sips oil between changes, synthetics might increase that usage. As far as cost, T6 15w/40 is only a few $$ costlier than T5 and is JASO rated, so you know Shell says it's OK for wet clutches. Your bike/your $$

Last edited:
ok so after reading your reply I think the question for me is ok i like your #1 (syn for better flow in cold and since my bike is water cooled and runs cold this #1 seems good for me), and your #2 (syn keeps viscosity changes better), and #3 is a concern for wet clutch but the new T6 syn 15w40 is JASO right?

Last edited:
Neither 15w40 T5 or T6 formula will be an issue for your wet clutch, with or without JASO MA/M2 ratings. And, yes, the new 15w40 Rotella T6 IS JASO rated by Shell..

Last edited:
after reading you guy's comments, I changed my mind again so I went to Walmart and they didn't have the T6 syn 15w40, went to a local oil supplier and they don't have it either, so I then checked at Canadian Tire auto parts store and no T6 syn 15w40 there either but they did have a 5L Jug of T5 15w40 semi so I bought that. I think I'll be happy with the T5. Now waiting for a good rain to come 'n wash the salt dust off the roads, but I did see 2 bikers out in town today so that's a good sign.

Last edited:
I used to think that only a JASO oil is ok for wet clutches...But I'm hearing there are other factors at play and depending on the additive package, that may not be true...and then there's the gearbox playing with the oil....

I am just wondering now why Shell Oil didn't print JASO on the back of the (Rotella T5 15w40 syn-blend CK-4 HDDEO) jug, because my logic suggests to me that since my older jug of Triple Protection CJ-4/SM 15w40 HDEO (T4) has JASO MA printed on the back and since the jug of T6 syn 15w40 has JASO printed on it, then logic says that the T5 jug should also have JASO printed on it, because the older Triple Protection jug has JASO and T6 syn has JASO, so why isn't Shell printing JASO on the T5 jug?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Degreaser
I am just wondering now why Shell Oil didn't print JASO on the back of the (Rotella T5 15w40 syn-blend CK-4 HDDEO) jug, because my logic suggests to me that since my older jug of Triple Protection CJ-4/SM 15w40 HDEO (T4) has JASO MA printed on the back and since the jug of T6 syn 15w40 has JASO printed on it, then logic says that the T5 jug should also have JASO printed on it, because the older Triple Protection jug has JASO and T6 syn has JASO, so why isn't Shell printing JASO on the T5 jug?

There's no reason they wouldn't print it on the jug if they knew it met JASO ... so it not being on the bottle should say something (ie, that it doesn't meet it for some reason).

Have you tried to contact Shell about why JASO isn't on the T5 jugs?

but the T5 has in it the same that's in T4 (and that's ok for a wet clutch bike), and T5 has in it the same synthetic that's in T6 (and that's ok for a wet clutch bike), therefore the T5 is ok for a wet clutch bike, correct? or no

but the T5 has in it the same that's in T4 (and that's ok for a wet clutch bike), and T5 has in it the same synthetic that's in T6 (and that's ok for a wet clutch bike), therefore the T5 is ok for a wet clutch bike, correct? or no

You're making some assumptions. If that was all true then why didn't Shell put the JASO rating on the T5 bottle? There has to be a reason beside they forgot to. Contact Shell and ask why T5 isn't JASO when the rest is.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

There's no reason they wouldn't print it on the jug if they knew it met JASO ... so it not being on the bottle should say something (ie, that it doesn't meet it for some reason).

Why doesn't Mobil1 V Twin, say JASO on the container?

I checked the UOA sheet of the T5 15w40 syn-blend that Bonz posted this thread (thanks) and looked at the Molybdenum numbers for the T5 and the T6 5w40 syn, and the T5 moly is (12) and the T6 is (62). So the T5 has less moly in it than the T6 5w40 syn which has JASO on the jug, so logic says T5 with less moly should be JASO, according to my thinking.

I did a search,

I looked back at older UOA threads for T5 15w40 syn-blend
found one called Rotella T5 at 6595 miles on a 2015 Victory Cross Country bike in Arizona
and even though JASO is not printed on the T5 jug, I still don't understand why I shouldn't use T5 in my shared sump 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 after reading this below:

I picked this comment to his T5 UOA report,
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru.../re-rotella-t5-at-6595-miles#Post3969339

Terrific report, you cant ask for much better.
T5 served you well I would stick with it, I would never run the Full Syn Rotella T6 5/40 in a shared sump bike.

Your oil sheared to a 30, no big deal at all. I doubt very much you will find an oil that holds up better then yours did at 6,595 miles.

Originally Posted by Truckedup
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Why doesn't Mobil1 V Twin, say JASO on the container?

Probably because they didn't pay and take the time to have it officially tested. It's a "voluntary" test certification process if they want to make the claim it meets JASO specs and show it on the bottle.

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV1812.pdf

Yet, Mobil claims their 20W-50 V-Twin oil is acceptable for motorcycle use with statements:

"Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 engine oil is designed to help provide the proper frictional characteristics necessary for wet-clutch common engine/transmission systems."

"Optimized wet-clutch performance."

In order to make statements like that they must have done some kind of testing, so why not test per JASO and put it on the bottle unless they just want to save some money on testing ... who knows, and a call to Mobil might or might not get a straight answer from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back