Is 10k miles too long for tire rotations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never rotated my tires. My Escape had brand new tires when I bought it and over 30k miles later they still look to be wearing evenly.

Depends. My truck seems ok with 10k although I think I can see a wear pattern getting established. My FWD's seem to always have something bad by then. Ergo, seems wiser to do it every 5k. [I might have more twisty roads than you, and maybe my cars are older, thus more apt to wear badly.]

Have a floor jack, and spare wheels, so it's not that bad. One car has snow tires so it tends get two free rotations from that, so it only needs one in the summer months. My car needs it like 5 times a year though.

Originally Posted by dogememe
......brand new tires when I bought it and over 30k miles later they still look to be wearing evenly.
Yeah, used tires when I bought 'em fer $50 & over 26K miles later they still look to be wearing evenly. Sorra fer da plagiarism.

Last edited:
I see the beginning of several new threads. Like, the tire shop won't install new tires on the front, buying 2 tires instead of 4, my tires are loud, wearing weird, and my [censored] wheels are frozen to the hub, and will not come off. Jeez.

I don't rotate on the 300, they're wearing evenly, but I tend to corner hard than most. Also the first car I've had that I've not worn the outsides of the tires, it has quite a bit of negative camber from the factory which I think helps. That's my theory at least lol

The van will most likely get rotated since FWD.

Originally Posted by RayCJ

Here's a good reference link for rotation patterns for Front wheel vs Rear wheel vs All wheel drive vehicles.

https://www.pepboys.com/auto-care/tires/tire-rotation-patterns

Good reference link! There is a sound reason for the different rotation patterns. The non-driven wheels tend to develop more heal-toe wear which can only be mitigated by cross-rotation. If you have directional tires and follow the manufacturers' recommendation you won't be able to take advantage of the cross-rotation and the result will usually be increased worn tire noise.

I've always done 7500-10k. And I've always gone farther than the tire warranty rating. Those of you saying "you don't need to rotate" I think are ridiculously foolish. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
I've always done 7500-10k. And I've always gone farther than the tire warranty rating. Those of you saying "you don't need to rotate" I think are ridiculously foolish. Just my opinion.

I keep an eye on my tires, they are wearing evenly. Why take the time to rotate them if it's even wear?

I rotate mine every 5k miles.

How often do you change your engine oil,and do you do that yourself,or have someone else do the oil /filter change?

To me rotating tires every 10k miles better than not rotating them,but if you think 5k miles is too soon because you drive a lot then do it every 8k miles,and to me you would still be good.

10k miles is just a little to far out in tire rotation,just my opinion. Now if you can manage to get your tires rotated at every OCI then that's killing two birds with one stone. That's a good thing.

I used to say, "Ah, the tires'll be okay with once a year rotation, or maybe every 18 months." Somehow I was replacing tires on the Park Avenue every year. Then, with the Regal, I took advantage of the local dealer's oil change/ rotation specials. The Michelins that came on the car lasted 60K miles. So I continued with the every 6 months oil change and rotation routine.

Now, with the BMW, OCs are specified every 10K miles, but that makes me nervous. I haven't decided, but will probably do 5K changes and get the tires rotated then. Fairly cheap insurance.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

I keep an eye on my tires, they are wearing evenly. Why take the time to rotate them if it's even wear?

1.) It's free most places you buy tires from and takes them about 15 minutes
2.) What does "wearing evenly" mean? I GUARANTEE they won't "wear evenly" after thousands of miles. The tires that steer have cross vectors in terms of force to steer a car, and your car isn't 50/50 weight balanced.
3.) Do you use a tire gauge to check outer, middle, inside depth?
4.) Every car I've EVER had I use a tire gauge to check outer, middle, inner wear and the front and back have ALWAYS worn at different rates on EVERY car I've owned.
5.) I too pay "close attention." Enough to know tires don't wear "evenly" without rotation.
6.) Dude, it's your choice, I could post research and facts, but your mind seems already made up
7.) Rotations are FREE almost everywhere you but tires.
8.) Seriously, FREE (aka they increase their price a little to cover the labor)
9.) But still, FREE!

You could also look at tires on cars in any parking lot. Same looking brand and age front and rear, you can tell who hasn't rotated when the front are rounded from turning corners and have half the tread depth. There are a lot of people who don't get FREE rotations. And then they pay more per mile for tires. I'll keep getting my FREE rotations or taking 30 minutes of my own time to do it myself. Also gives an opportunity to look for nails and screws stuck in tread and wash grime off the rims.

Last edited:
I try to do mine every 5,000 miles and on my Mustang it needs to be done sooner because of how the front tires wear. I've had the alignment done twice in 30,000 miles because of the quick uneven wear and every shop says the front end specs are in spec. They blame the factory Pirelli tires.

I just had new tires put on my 92 Cavalier. I had not rotated the old ones in a long time and the front tires had way less tread than the back ones. The tire shop also had to beat on the front wheels to get them off.

You could also look at tires on cars in any parking lot. Same looking brand and age front and rear, you can tell who hasn't rotated when the front are rounded from turning corners and have half the tread depth. There are a lot of people who don't get FREE rotations. And then they pay more per mile for tires. I'll keep getting my FREE rotations or taking 30 minutes of my own time to do it myself. Also gives an opportunity to look for nails and screws stuck in tread and wash grime off the rims.

This isn't rocket science, the example of your parking lot observation simply means those tires are overdue for a rotation.

I just replaced a set of LT265/70R17 tires on my duramax, I did one rotation and now at 62,000 miles all 4 tires are worn to 2/32" to 3/32", all within 1/32". How could a rotation every 5,000 miles,?? or 10,000miles add any more mileage to these tires??

Originally Posted by CONMCK
This isn't rocket science, the example of your parking lot observation simply means those tires are overdue for a rotation.

I just replaced a set of LT265/70R17 tires on my duramax, I did one rotation and now at 62,000 miles all 4 tires are worn to 2/32" to 3/32", all within 1/32". How could a rotation every 5,000 miles,?? or 10,000miles add any more mileage to these tires??

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

I can't see where rotating tires every 5,000 miles is going to add any life to them. If you have front end problems, you're just going to wear them out faster, regardless of how often you switch them around. I just rotated the tires on my Jeep, that just turned 10,000 miles. I can't see any difference between the front and the rears.

My wife asked me why I did it. She said it looks like you just made work for yourself. I really didn't have a good answer for her, because she was right. They're going to stay where they are until they are worn out.

Just looked at the wife's Camry's snow tires, and they have a chop to them after 7k. So clearly those tires went too long--now they'll always have some sing to them. Snows on my truck are at less miles but I can see some shoulder wear up front, so they should have gotten rotated.

YMMV. I guess my roads have lots of turns.

Just had my tires rotated and balanced this morning on my 2017 Buick Regal GS, 5605K on the clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back