Is 10k miles too long for tire rotations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by CONMCK
This isn't rocket science, the example of your parking lot observation simply means those tires are overdue for a rotation.

I just replaced a set of LT265/70R17 tires on my duramax, I did one rotation and now at 62,000 miles all 4 tires are worn to 2/32" to 3/32", all within 1/32". How could a rotation every 5,000 miles,?? or 10,000miles add any more mileage to these tires??

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

I can't see where rotating tires every 5,000 miles is going to add any life to them. If you have front end problems, you're just going to wear them out faster, regardless of how often you switch them around. I just rotated the tires on my Jeep, that just turned 10,000 miles. I can't see any difference between the front and the rears.

My wife asked me why I did it. She said it looks like you just made work for yourself. I really didn't have a good answer for her, because she was right. They're going to stay where they are until they are worn out.

Do you ha e a tread depth measuring tool? They're about $5-10. Take a pic of today's odometer and in 10k do it again with pics of outer, middle, inner tread depth with the gauge on front and rear. No way they're worn evenly.

Originally Posted by CONMCK
Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
Originally Posted by Skippy722
I've always done 7500-10k. And I've always gone farther than the tire warranty rating. Those of you saying "you don't need to rotate" I think are ridiculously foolish. Just my opinion.

I keep an eye on my tires, they are wearing evenly. Why take the time to rotate them if it's even wear?

You could also look at tires on cars in any parking lot. Same looking brand and age front and rear, you can tell who hasn't rotated when the front are rounded from turning corners and have half the tread depth. There are a lot of people who don't get FREE rotations. And then they pay more per mile for tires. I'll keep getting my FREE rotations or taking 30 minutes of my own time to do it myself. Also gives an opportunity to look for nails and screws stuck in tread and wash grime off the rims.

This isn't rocket science, the example of your parking lot observation simply means those tires are overdue for a rotation.

I just replaced a set of LT265/70R17 tires on my duramax, I did one rotation and now at 62,000 miles all 4 tires are worn to 2/32" to 3/32", all within 1/32". How could a rotation every 5,000 miles,?? or 10,000miles add any more mileage to these tires??

But it sounds like you check them and when you notice a difference rotate them. Seems reasonable. I'm talking people who never rotate and on here are arguing they wear at the same rate. That's lying or ignorance. Tires don't wear at the same rate. And front tires wear differently inner and outer. It's physics. And people are trying to debate this. FACT: Tires wear at different rates front and rear. If you don't care, don't rotate.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...tion-economics-is-it-just-cost/index.htm

Do you ha e a tread depth measuring tool? They're about $5-10

Yes, it's called a penny. As I said, there was no difference. You're making way too big a deal out of this. As was said, this isn't rocket science.

. . .
1.) It's free most places you buy tires from and takes them about 15 minutes
2.) What does "wearing evenly" mean? I GUARANTEE they won't "wear evenly" after thousands of miles. The tires that steer have cross vectors in terms of force to steer a car, and your car isn't 50/50 weight balanced.
3.) Do you use a tire gauge to check outer, middle, inside depth?
4.) Every car I've EVER had I use a tire gauge to check outer, middle, inner wear and the front and back have ALWAYS worn at different rates on EVERY car I've owned.
5.) I too pay "close attention." Enough to know tires don't wear "evenly" without rotation.
6.) Dude, it's your choice, I could post research and facts, but your mind seems already made up
7.) Rotations are FREE almost everywhere you but tires.
8.) Seriously, FREE (aka they increase their price a little to cover the labor)
9.) But still, FREE!

Seriously, Firestone and Goodyear will rotate your tires for free?

I've never seen a place that rotates tires for free. Not even the Firestone on base does that for free.

I don't ever rotate my tires though. They seem to wear pretty evenly. The current set has 30k miles on them and neither front nor back are hardly worn.

Yes, it's called a penny. As I said, there was no difference. You're making way too big a deal out of this. As was said, this isn't rocket science.

Ignorance is bliss. Each to their own.

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
. . .
1.) It's free most places you buy tires from and takes them about 15 minutes
2.) What does "wearing evenly" mean? I GUARANTEE they won't "wear evenly" after thousands of miles. The tires that steer have cross vectors in terms of force to steer a car, and your car isn't 50/50 weight balanced.
3.) Do you use a tire gauge to check outer, middle, inside depth?
4.) Every car I've EVER had I use a tire gauge to check outer, middle, inner wear and the front and back have ALWAYS worn at different rates on EVERY car I've owned.
5.) I too pay "close attention." Enough to know tires don't wear "evenly" without rotation.
6.) Dude, it's your choice, I could post research and facts, but your mind seems already made up
7.) Rotations are FREE almost everywhere you but tires.
8.) Seriously, FREE (aka they increase their price a little to cover the labor)
9.) But still, FREE!

Seriously, Firestone and Goodyear will rotate your tires for free?

Discount tire will, if you buy tires from them. But they will patch any tire, regardless if you buy tires from them or not.

I didn't know posting what I said would ruffle so many feathers
21.gif
28.gif

I'll admit, on the Durango the outer third of ALL 4 tires were about 2/32" shallower than the inner third. Never rotated them either. Not sure how rotating them would fix that issue. Alignment was dead nuts in factory spec, I just like cornering harder than most people.

Last edited:
Firestone, Walmart, and every other local place that sells tires around me, will do free lifetime rotations on tires they sell. Not sure about elsewhere.

I used to use a penny, then a narrow pocket machinist's rule to measure tread depth. Recently I got a $5 Milton tread depth gauge and am kicking myself for not doing it sooner. The treads on my Pilot that I thought were down to 5/32 are between 7 and 8/32. Plus it's just easier.

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-448-Tread-Depth-Gauge/dp/B0002STSQM

When I had a pickup I rotated when I switched from winter to summer tires and back, so twice a year. I have a Saturn VUE AWD my wife drove 6000 miles a year I rotated once a year. I once went six months longer before I needed an alignment and tires got NOISY. I just replaced them. I probably could have gotten through the summer with them but life is too short. Firestone dealer where I used to live would rotate for free if they were Firestone tires, even though I bought them at Tire Rack. I bought my last set of Blizzaks from him.

Originally Posted by litesong
Since I switched to used tires, I'll keep getting THE FREE tires (five so far).
Oh, oh. Just got another tire, but it wasn't free. For the UN-USED Goodrich Premier tire (70,000 mile guarantee?), I just paid $10. Once, mounted & balanced, I'll make sure to get a good wheel alignment. Wheel rotation? Nah! Don't ya love the smell of new rubber in the morning!

Last edited:
My Front wheel drive cars I run until the fronts start showing wear then throw them on the back and buy new fronts.
My 1994 ford e150 full size conversion van has good year wranglers on it with a 70,000 mile tread wear and I don't really like them so let them wear however they please. They are more of a all season/all terrain tire that was just installed when I bought it with 18,900 original miles on the van. It's absolutely beautiful, currently at 30,000 mile on the van and they still look new. Now my 3rd vehicle is a different story 1990 Toyota 4x4 pickup, being 4wd daily driver I do try to keep the tires rotated every 3/5,000 miles to keep all 4 tires in equal condition for any 4wd use. I absolutely love my soon to be 30 year old truck that I'll drive for the rest of my life. I love the pre 94 Toyota 4x4 trucks, they are the most reliable bulletproof vehicles I've ever owned. If you keep the rust off of them they won't let you down. I run mud tires and they wear faster than a normal all terrain tire so you gotta keep em rotated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back