Quiet all terrains

View attachment 186224
Don’t go off road with highway tires, people. That will get you in trouble.
Is that near Sedona? I saw a stock Mercedes on street tires going down Schnebly hill road once. He did it as easily as the lifted jeeps did, the Mercedes with its fancy suspension didn't crash over the rocks as much as the jeeps did.

IMG_20220923_123916336_HDR~2.jpg

Is that near Sedona? I saw a stock Mercedes on street tires going down Schnebly hill road once. He did it as easily as the lifted jeeps did, the Mercedes with its fancy suspension didn't crash over the rocks as much as the jeeps did.

View attachment 186232
Utah. In my years of off-roading experience, street tires will eventually get you in trouble. Its just a matter of time. I see countless cars and SUVs with flat street tires on Colorado trails. I’ve witnessed failures to pull up mild loose grades. Even some all terrains can fail in these situations.

Street tires are not designed to withstand the side wall forces and the treads & compounds are not optimized for loose substrates.

Just because someone got lucky once or twice on street tires in some situations doesn’t really mean all that much.

That's fair, offroad tires can take more abuse than highway tires. Even 3ply sidewall tires won't survive if you bash the sidewall against jagged rocks

What type of "off roading" are you talking about and more specifically, What do you "off road"
I have seen people doing trail where regular off-road tires should be used. Now, the thing is, those Defender have very strong sidewalls. That does not mean other, similar tires will do it. I agree with @goingplacesanddoingstuff , regular off-road tires should be used on off road trails just because you actually know they are rated for it, and built with that intention. Defender LTX is very unique and specific tire. It is built better than some off-road tires. And the price does reflect that. Would I take it to rock crawling? No.

I have 20k on GY DT. Rotating every 8k. Wearing ok. They're very loud but doesn't bother me much. I'm going with a more street oriented tire next. I definitely want a quieter tire. Most go the other way on the ZR2, but my off-roading isn't severe enough to justify more off-road based tires. The quietest AT tire is what I'll end up with.

Hello MobileNissan,

If you are otherwise happy with the Geolandar A/T G015, consider bumping up to a 285/70R17 or side-stepping to a 235/80R17 for a set of GoodyearWrangler Workhorse HT, or sticking to OE size and checking out the Continental Terrain Contact A/T.

The GeoAT's and Contact A/T are on the lean end of AT tires, and the Workhorse is on the aggressive end of HT tires. Expect similar traction in most conditions. In either case here we're talking E1 LT tires.

If you were running the SL version of the Geo's, these will be a step up in sidewall durability and weight, if you were running the LT version, then these will be pretty similar in terms of strength. If you're getting 30-35K out of the Geo's you'll probably get closer to 45-50K out of the Workhorse and more like 55-60K out of the Contact A/T's.

Otherwise if you want more aggressive AT's, the Discoverer AT3 XLT, Dynapro AT2 Xtreme, and Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 are worth a look for reasonably quiet A/T's that have more life in them that G015's. Some are available in both SL or LT.

Keep in mind that the sidewall strength of an LT HT tire is probably better than an SL AT.

Back