BOUGHT WRONG OIL FILTER

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Subaru Forester (2018) calls for a Purolator Boss PBL 14615. I got the PBL 14610 by mistake. The 14610 is slightly longer, but is same size otherwise. I think the major diff is BPV but can't verify it. Can anyone tell me the BPV spec on the 14610? I know the 14615 is 14-18. Also, can I use the 14610 on my Forester?

The Subaru-spec Puros have much higher bypass valve settings, around 23-29PSI. You can use the 14610, but it would be better to get the right filter if you can.

FWIW I had a 2001 outback and it listed 2 filters with different numbers, one was a bit longer so I asked the dealer and he told me the reason for the difference was space under the hood and that if one had the room one could use the longer one.

The "bypass event" is relatively rare occurrence - running the filter you purchased will NOT harm your engine in ANY way.

http://www.pureoil.com/en/professional/online-catalog/filter-lookup/
says the 14610 Boss is about 16 psi. Fine to put on for the warm months. Its really cold thick oil at startup that pops the bypass valve. You're fine using it. Change the oil filter again in October.

The 14615 is a little short than the 14610, which means the effect of a lower bypass threshold is partially reduced by the increase media area in the 14610, good news there.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
The 14610 is the worst in terms of tearing, so even though it will fit, you don't want to use it. Exchange it for a 14615 if you can.

Wix makes much better filters, and the Napa Platinum is on sale this month for $8.99.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The 14610 is the worst in terms of tearing,...
Not true. This is a Boss type, not the notorious "Classic" paper element one which did get rips in the elements a lot. This Boss is mesh-backed, and a full syn media filter.

Originally Posted by Donald
Buy the OEM filters by the 6 pack on Amazon.

Isn't the OEM Subaru filter made by FRAM? I have used them but if they're made by FRAM, I don't want to use them again.

Originally Posted by IBelieveinlube
Originally Posted by Donald
Buy the OEM filters by the 6 pack on Amazon.

Isn't the OEM Subaru filter made by FRAM? I have used them but if they're made by FRAM, I don't want to use them again.

They have multiple suppliers although I'm not sure you're going to find the Japanese-made Tokyo Roki equivalents unless you find a supplier that gets them from overseas.

Some claim that there's a Mazda OEM version that's equivalent, but I don't believe it would have the 27 PSI bypass pressure that Subaru specifies. This is the 15208AA160:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The 14610 is the worst in terms of tearing,...
Not true. This is a Boss type, not the notorious "Classic" paper element one which did get rips in the elements a lot. This Boss is mesh-backed, and a full syn media filter.

Even though the Boss doesn't have media tears, the ADBV will have slits torn in. Very common in the Boss, and sometimes the Bosch D+ too

Originally Posted by Linctex
The "bypass event" is relatively rare occurrence - running the filter you purchased will NOT harm your engine in ANY way.

Only a wise man would run an OEM filter for the duration of the warranty period. No way would I run something that didn't meet the specs of the original filter 100 percent.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by Linctex

Only a wise man would run an OEM filter for the duration of the warranty period. No way would I run something that didn't meet the specs of the original filter 100 percent.

No manufacturer worries about a suitable oil filter being used for the duration of the warranty period.

However, it is somewhat unusual with Subaru's high bypass pressure specification. Most aftermarket oil filter makers specify a filter that's about the same size, but with a much lower bypass pressure. For example, Fram recommends the PH7317/TG7317/XG7317. They specify a bypass setting of 9-15/13/13 PSI. As far as I know only Wix (including Napa/Carquest/O'Reilly/etc) and perhaps many of the OEM-style part wholesalers (e.g. Beck-Arnley, WORLDPAC) sell equivalents that have the high bypass setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back