Purolator Efficiency on Upgraded Oil Filters

My scoring system here...

99% at 46 and 50% at 22 = no bueno.
Substandard in my opinion. Hastings filter is the same as this Boss 14612.

95% at 20 microns and 50% at 6 microns... Acceptable/ good performance. Old school Wix and Napa Gold filters.... And Fram EG too

99% at 20 microns and 74% at 10 microns = Very good performance. Current Fram Ultra.

99.6% at 15 microns and 80 % at 5 microns = Exceptional performance.... OG Fram Ultra...
bbhero: Great post. Quick question on your stats above regarding the 99.6 at 15 microns line.

Fram's website says the Fram Ultra Synthetic 20,000 mile oil filter is: 99+ efficiency > 20 microns (assuming that is your line #2 above).

I would like to buy the "OG Fram Ultra..." filter that you mention in your line # 3 above: 99.6% at 15 microns and 80% at 5 microns.
Can you supply more detail on that filter name or an Amazon or other link where it could be purchased?

Thanks,
Bill

So it 'could' be. Stand corrected on the 'still do.' Amended to 'perhaps' still do. :) Main point obviously missed, Amsoil ISO tested out significantly higher than the then published 'at least 80%@20um.' And higher than the newer USCAR.

As for topic, I guess I'd say based on Amsoil ISO test someone using Toyota or Honda OEM only (as I've read this subforum), would be somewhat hypocritical being critical of the stated Boss efficiency here.
The Amsoil ISO test was specifically on the FL820S, which is a relatively large oil filter. Could be that Motorcraft's basic efficiency statement (and the USCAR-36 "at least" efficiency spec) covers all their models, including the smallest filters which would probably have less ISO test efficiency due to thier size.

bbhero: Great post. Quick question on your stats above regarding the 99.6 at 15 microns line.

Fram's website says the Fram Ultra Synthetic 20,000 mile oil filter is: 99+ efficiency > 20 microns (assuming that is your line #2 above).

I would like to buy the "OG Fram Ultra..." filter that you mention in your line # 3 above: 99.6% at 15 microns and 80% at 5 microns.
Can you supply more detail on that filter name or an Amazon or other link where it could be purchased?

Thanks,
Bill
He's getting that info from the link below, and from a past comment made by Motorking who use to work for Fram.

Last edited:

Thanks,
Bill
The OG he is referring to is the previous version of the fram ultra that you can no longer get.

Thanks,
Bill
Not BB but he means a wire backed XG with depth media, in the case of your Odyssey an XG7317.

As far as buying one - unlikely - suppose you go to to every walmart in town open the boxes and shine a light down the center tube - this will likely be frowned upon. Don't trust the box, but you can start with any that say "wire backed media".

I think i have a couple but i'm waiting for them to break $60.00 on e-bay 🤣 Save the hate mail i'm joking....

The OG he is referring to is the previous version of the fram ultra that you can no longer get.
And nobody has did an independent test on the Ultra to prove it's worse. People just assume it's worse because it doesn't have wire backed media anymore ... hardly scientific.

But hey ... oil filter efficiency doesn't really matter anyway, so it doesn't matter what the new Ultra performance is. 😄

Last edited:
The AMSOIL EaO was later updated to show 98.7% @ 15 microns:

But they now claim 99% @ 20 microns.

That is roughly equivalent to what Fram had been claiming with the wire backed Ultra, I remember Motorking Jay saying that the Ultra tested at something like 98.7% efficiency @ 16 microns a few years ago.

I made the observation recently on BITOG that there was only a marginal difference between the filtration efficiency of the wire backed Fram Ultra's media and that of the Royal Purple oil filter (which is at least similar, if not the same as what is used for the Amsoil oil filter) per Ascent Filtration's independent testing last year.

That is roughly equivalent to what Fram had been claiming with the wire backed Ultra, I remember Motorking Jay saying that the Ultra tested at something like 98.7% efficiency @ 16 microns a few years ago.

I made the observation recently on BITOG that there was only a marginal difference between the filtration efficiency of the wire backed Fram Ultra's media and that of the Royal Purple oil filter (which is at least similar, if not the same as what is used for the Amsoil oil filter) per Ascent Filtration's independent testing last year.
Yep ... Royal Purple would be a logical choice if you wanted to still have a high efficiency full synthetic wire backed filter, as long as you don't mind spending the money for it - my search showed it's almost twice the cost. If the Ultra would have been kept the same and the price increased to that of the RP, do you think people would still buy it? :unsure:

1643151088134.png

Yep ... Royal Purple would be a logical choice if you wanted to still have a high efficiency full synthetic wire backed filter, as long as you don't mind spending the money for it - my search showed it's almost twice the cost. If the Ultra would have been kept the same and the price increased to that of the RP, do you think people would still buy it? :unsure:

Essentially you are asking if I would want to pay for a current Royal Purple from Amazon or pay retail for a wire backed Fram Titanium at AAP?

Personally I would be happy with either but I really do appreciate the fact that RP's cans are built to racing specs and I am actually a big fan of their usage of an e-core nylon center cage behind the wire backed synthetic media. Taking those factors into consideration I think RP can justify their price and I can feel justified in paying it. The only advantage the the wire backed Fram would have is marginally superior filtration efficiency, even if it were $5 or so less expensive like the Ultra was I can still justify the purchase of an RP can.

It may not be for everyone and that is fine but some people just don't sweat spending a few extra bucks to get what they want and have confidence in.

Essentially you are asking if I would want to pay for a current Royal Purple from Amazon or pay retail for a wire backed Fram Titanium at AAP?

Personally I would be happy with either but I really do appreciate the fact that RP's cans are built to racing specs and I am actually a big fan of their usage of an e-core nylon center cage behind the wire backed synthetic media. Taking those factors into consideration I think RP can justify their price and I can feel justified in paying it. The only advantage the the wire backed Fram would have is marginally superior filtration efficiency, even if it were $5 or so less expensive like the Ultra was I can still justify the purchase of an RP can.

It may not be for everyone and that is fine but some people just don't sweat spending a few extra bucks to get what they want and have confidence in.

I'd buy a Royal Purple oil filter any day over a Fram not-so Ultra 👍

Advance Auto Parts: $15.79. Box shows the "Perfect Seal Gasket", so the Titanium may not have the wire-backed media anymore either.

1643153946384.png

Equivalent Royal Purple: $16.99 (not much difference). AAP doesn't show RP filters on their website, but O'Reilly's does.

1643154684876.png

Last edited:
Advance Auto Parts: $15.79. Box shows the "Perfect Seak Gasket", so the Titanium may not have the wire-backed media anymore either.

View attachment 86107

Equivalent Royal Purple: $16.99 (not much difference). AAP doesn't show RP filters on their website, but O'Reilly's does.

View attachment 86108

If I am getting a RP 10-2867 I am ordering it online from Amazon or Walmart, both list it for $14.99. I know that O'Reilly's has them on their website as well but I rarely go into one of their stores and when I have I have been unable to find a Royal Purple oil filter in store inventory.

At this point I think it's just as hard to find a Royal Purple oil filter in a brick and mortar store as it is to find a wire backed Fram can period. At least I know what I am getting if I am going with the Royal Purple can.

At this point I think it's just as hard to find a Royal Purple oil filter in a brick and mortar store as it is to find a wire backed Fram can period. At least I know what I am getting if I am going with the Royal Purple can.
Pretty hard to find any wire backed Ultras in popular sizes since they don't make them anymore. 😄

Advance Auto Parts: $15.79. Box shows the "Perfect Seal Gasket", so the Titanium may not have the wire-backed media anymore either.

View attachment 86107

View attachment 86108

I just picked up a Titanium from AAP a couple days ago. The media is wire backed still. Same packaging as above.

And nobody has did an independent test on the Ultra to prove it's worse. People just assume it's worse because it doesn't have wire backed media anymore ... hardly scientific.

But hey ... oil filter efficiency doesn't really matter anyway, so it doesn't matter what the new Ultra performance is. 😄

Kind of like saying wound cleanser and anti infective medication and medication that helps wound healing = Doesn't matter. . .

I'm going through this now due to a bad bad cut on my finger Saturday evening. Took 50 minutes to stop the bleeding. Then another 10 hours to stop slowly seeping.

Alcohol to clean= painful burning

Neosporin and Manuka medihoney

Covered with Nexcare waterproof bandage and two more small waterproof bandages.

Back