What kind of lug nut is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace the GM tin capped lug nuts on the Escalade. Is it considered conical or ball seat? What's a decent solid metal brand to use? and will I be able to get this lug nut off if I put it on temporarily?

20190321_133405.jpg

I wouldn't reuse it. If you absolutely must, you might be better off prying off the sheet metal cover, and using a socket that fits the steel lug underneath. Welcome to the wonderful world of sheet metal covered lug nuts.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So these things rust and a normal lug nut socket no longer fits (although they sell .5 MM sizes just for this purpose). The tire stores use a BFH to get a normal size lug nut socket to fit. The lug nut suffers.

I had the issue on my Jeep. I got SS ones from Dorman (I am not a Dorman fan, but these were OK). Rock Auto had them listed for my vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
Why were these things ever implemented? Am i missing the hidden virtue?

Like many things in the automotive industry, they were marketed as an "improvement". 3 decades later we're still trying to establish just exactly what that "improvement" is.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by wemay
Why were these things ever implemented? Am i missing the hidden virtue?

Like many things in the automotive industry, they were marketed as an "improvement". 3 decades later we're still trying to establish just exactly what that "improvement" is.

They look purdy.

Every new set I put on my Hondas lasted about a year and a half before they would start looking bad and started swelling up. I hate those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back