What oil would you recommend for 2015 Toyota Highlander

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil would you recommend for 10K oci on a 2015 Toyota Highlander? This highlander sees mostly short trips (5-15 miles) monday-friday and some longer trips on the weekend. I personally don't like 10K OCI especially with such short trips but my father in law religiously follows the "maintenance required" light which comes on at 10K on the Highlander. He has been using Amsoil XL and a wix filter, I told him there is plenty of oil you can get at walmart for much cheaper. Would oil would you recommend in this case?

The synthetic oil that's the cheapest at the time. Super tech, magnatech, PP, Mobil 1, valvoline MV.

There are many vehicles used in this manner. Usually 1 year will occur before the 10k Mark is reached on short trippers.
That would trigger an oil change.

XL at 10k intervals sounds perfect to me, that is basically what it is designed for.
If he is happy with it, why are you trying to get him to use something else?

Originally Posted by addyguy
XL at 10k intervals sounds perfect to me, that is basically what it is designed for.
If he is happy with it, why are you trying to get him to use something else?

I order Amsoil for him but looking at the prices, it's waste of money.

How is Amsoil XL better than Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil1 or any other synthetic oil that you can get off the shelf in any walmart?

The only Amsoil product worth buying is their signature line if you use it as is intended to be used.

Last edited:
here we go again
18.gif

Originally Posted by diyjake
What oil would you recommend for 10K oci on a 2015 Toyota Highlander? This highlander sees mostly short trips (5-15 miles) monday-friday and some longer trips on the weekend. I personally don't like 10K OCI especially with such short trips but my father in law religiously follows the "maintenance required" light which comes on at 10K on the Highlander. He has been using Amsoil XL and a wix filter, I told him there is plenty of oil you can get at walmart for much cheaper. Would oil would you recommend in this case?

Let the father-in-law decide for himself. He's doing excellent choosing Amsoil XL.

Whatever you choose just do a uoa to verify 10k miles is a good interval, there are plenty of examples that in specific engines that doesn't fly. Most of the time you will be fine, but choose something and do a uoa. Whatever his choice, synthetic media filter is the only way to go 10k mile interval, Amsoil ea, wix xp, fram ultra all seam good. Paper filters don't last long intervals, period.

Originally Posted by burla
Whatever you choose just do a uoa to verify 10k miles is a good interval, there are plenty of examples that in specific engines that doesn't fly. Most of the time you will be fine, but choose something and do a uoa. Whatever his choice, synthetic media filter is the only way to go 10k mile interval, Amsoil ea, wix xp, fram ultra all seam good. Paper filters don't last long intervals, period.

The "paper" filters last 10K mile OCI's period. You are full of false information.

I agree
Somebody think of something new and different to talk about
The wheel keeps getting reinvented

If you're trying to save money over the Amsoil, why not go with a Mobil 1 advanced protection at Walmart? Ten thousand mile OCI's shouldn't be a problem for that oil.

I am kind of surprised Toyota went 10,000 miles across the board on their cars and trucks, seems like a long time for a manufacturer to recommend, but I haven't heard anything bad from people who own Toyota's. And I know people that work for Toyota and they all say their engines are doing fine, but they are using TGMO at the dealers these guys work at.

Originally Posted by edyvw
I use M1 5W30 EP in the same engine. Decided to go to 8k OCI. It is simple engine and not hard on oil.

I concur in this rec. Our sees only about 7500 per year and I change it once a year. The view down the oil filler reveals nothing but clean bare metal as far as you can see.

Originally Posted by Railrust
If you're trying to save money over the Amsoil, why not go with a Mobil 1 advanced protection at Walmart? Ten thousand mile OCI's shouldn't be a problem for that oil.

I am kind of surprised Toyota went 10,000 miles across the board on their cars and trucks, seems like a long time for a manufacturer to recommend, but I haven't heard anything bad from people who own Toyota's. And I know people that work for Toyota and they all say their engines are doing fine, but they are using TGMO at the dealers these guys work at.

Two decades ago I heard that the Mercedes-Benz Flexible Service System would vary from 10k to 25k miles (including a single filter change) depending on conditions. But that also required oil that met a fairly high standard for long-life service. I think they also had huge capacities - around 8-9 quarts per OCI.

Now Honda was recommending 10k mile "normal" OCIs on API SJ 5W-20 as far back as 2001. Plus a new filter every other OCI. And that was with something as small as a 4.4 quart total capacity (3.2-3.4 quart change amounts) in my wife's 2002 Civic LX.

Mobil One anything other than AFE is overkill at 10K OCI in normal use. Even it is overkill.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Mobil One anything other than AFE is overkill at 10K OCI in normal use. Even it is overkill.

Still - why not EP for $3 more at WM? I probably wouldn't go for AP, but EP seems to be at a good price point.

I use Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 and Toyota oil filter. I'm pretty comfortable with the 10,000 mile interval with this combo especially since Toyota recommends 10,000 miles and Mobil says that's the time frame they warranty Mobil 1 for on their website as well. That's good enough for me.

Originally Posted by y_p_w

Still - why not EP for $3 more at WM? I probably wouldn't go for AP, but EP seems to be at a good price point.

Because it's not needed.

Originally Posted by y_p_w

Because it's not needed.

And as you noted neither is Mobil 1. It's all relative. If it were me I'd probably go with QSUD for 0W-20 in a normal aspirated engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back