Is 10k miles too long for tire rotations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are wearing your tires out before 40K miles, then you need to rotate more often than 10K.

Why? Because you don't want to get too much wear difference between your fronts and your rears - and at 40K, you're on the verge of it being too much (2/32nds)

Mine all rotate at least 1 foot for every foot I drive.

I will occasionally rotate tires if I am having the car in the air (for brakes, etc) but other than that I don't have any uneven wear issues. I just make sure to always use 4-wheel drifts and lots of throttle to make sure the tread is all destroyed simultaneously.
lol.gif

I used to hear every 10,000 miles.
Lately it's 5,000 or 6,000.

When the shop first told me to come back in 5 or 6,000 miles for the next rotation I actually said "what?"
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by diyjake
Another question - how do you rotate your tires, front to back and back to front or X?

I usually do X rotation, on a FWD.

I get free rotation so I get tires rotated when there is ~ 2/32 difference between front & rear tires. This difference occurs about 7 to 8,000 miles. Ed

Subie, you are totally correct on that but for standard non-directional tires does it matter if you rotate front to back / back to front vs X?

For my 2015 Toyota FWD Sienna, I believe factory recommendations are 5K. This model is notorious for wearing out tires and very heavy vehicle thus the low change interval. I have been doing 10K with 40psig to minimize accelerated wear at the cost of harsher ride and so far nothing unusual about wear pattern from the oem Firestones.

However, for my 2003 Toyota Corolla beater car...I was rotating about every 20-25K because the tire wear was very even across tread pattern so I got lazy. The biggest mistake is after 2+ years of not removing the rear wheels...the corrosion of the drum to the steel rim caused difficulty getting both wheels off. It was bad enough that even hitting with a hammer repeatedly could not dislodge and so I used an air hammer to rattle the wheel off with anti-seize afterwards.

Imagine if you had an emergency flat and just needed to change to a spare? With my situation no way possible. So my recommendations are to rotate wheels per your factory manual or earlier because the benefits is not just for tire wear but also to perform visual inspection with the brake or suspension system as well as accessing corrosion in critical areas.

Mine get rotated when I put the winters on, and take the winters off. That's it. If I rotated them every 5-10K miles I would be doing it every 1-2 months with the miles I drive.

I have had no issues getting miles out of my tires. I do however make sure my alignment is proper though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Mine get rotated when I put the winters on, and take the winters off. That's it. If I rotated them every 5-10K miles I would be doing it every 1-2 months with the miles I drive.

I have had no issues getting miles out of my tires. I do however make sure my alignment is proper though.

How often do you get your alignment checked? I like to do it every year but it gets expensive.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Subie, you are totally correct on that but for standard non-directional tires does it matter if you rotate front to back / back to front vs X?

I've read enough hypothetical negative anecdotes about running the tires in reverse directions during X rotation that I've rotated all of my tires as if they're directional. If I had very unusual wear, I'd have my alignment done or change tire pressure before x rotating.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by maverickfhs
I usually do X rotation, on a FWD.

You can't do an X rotation if you have directional/asymmetric tires, no matter which wheels are driven.

you can with asymmetric, cant with directional.

Also I believe he was probably saying a frontward or rear cross rotation vs the full X rotation.

Originally Posted by Nicasio
...Would doing tire rotations at every 10k mi. be ok?
Ah..... another advantage I have since I started buying used tires..... no more rotations. Wear 'em out, & put on another $5, $20 or free tire.

Last edited:
Always in my fwd vehicles I do Rotation every oil change with X to front. Last vehicle had 50k on tires and looked new. I hope my Caravan will be the same as far tire wear. Depends in OLM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back