Would you rent or take your own vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A one thousand mile road trip is a lot less stressful for your car than a thousand 1 mile trips. I would drive your own car unless you were so unsure of it. In that case, I'd sell the car.

I used to have a 400 miles each way drive once a month and I always rented. Back then I could get a car for the weekend for $30.

We still make an annual 500 mile trip to Pittsburgh for an extended weekend and I rent every time. It ends up being 1200 total miles that aren't on my car. We've gotten to drive things like a Q5 by luck of the draw. I'd never buy one and wasn't impressed, but I got to drive one for a weekend - all for $125.

Originally Posted by eljefino
You sound like you're trying to justify it by your not spending money elsewhere on the vacation. So it's burning a hole in your pocket.

What are the odds of your SUV breaking down on vacation? 1:10? Save the $650 every time and suddenly you have $6500 you otherwise wouldn't.

And what if it does break down? You don't have to be at work the next day. Low stress! Meet some cool people who can be helpful. And you shook something loose that could have inconvenienced you later, more.

It's a bit snobbish to assume you own a car so ridiculously complex the people in "the badlands" won't be able to fix whatever happens.

Not to mention the dumber issues, like a power window stuck down, which can be solved with a hefty bag and some duct tape.

I say run what you've got.

PS I fixed my own 32-year old benz diesel in a box store parking lot. The Carquest did at least two hub runs per day and I got my parts without having to spend the night!

OP, I would drive my own vehicle and for you sir, you are a pro and my hat off for you
thumbsup2.gif

Well Mercedes does free towing if you have it towed to the dealer and get it repaired there. You could also sign up for AAA Premier which offers 200 miles of free towing, you need to sign up for that in advance though. I wouldn't worry about driving my 2008 E-350 for a long distance, I think you'd be fine in your GL. I'd get it inspected before your trip, MB dealers love to find questionable things wrong with the car. I would think the GL would be a nicer ride than a minivan anyway.

I rented out my Escape on Turo and while it was ok I wouldn't recommend renting from there. If something goes wrong with the car and you're far away you and the host (vehicle owner) are gonna have a bad day.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
Rental. All the way.

Why put all the miles on your GL? Let someone else take the hit. Rent with a credit card that offers primary coverage (I carry the Chase Sapphire, purely for primary rental coverage) and you're good to go.

Take the hit? You think a 1000 miles on the odometer is going to reduce the value of the Benz by $650?

Originally Posted by Leo99
Rental. All the way.

Why put all the miles on your GL? Let someone else take the hit. Rent with a credit card that offers primary coverage (I carry the Chase Sapphire, purely for primary rental coverage) and you're good to go.

Take the hit? You think a 1000 miles on the odometer is going to reduce the value of the Benz by $650?

If you run it through nadaguide, the difference of an extra 1000 miles seems to lower the value by about $275. Interestingly, the price doesn't change if you go from 99k to 100k, but from 100k to 101k, it drops that $275 and it's the same value at 105k. When you go to 110k, it goes down another $275. So maybe book value only drops $55 per thousand.

Rental. All the way.

01.gif

I'd take what you have and save the $$ as long as you know it's reliable and not on the verge of breakdown. Going from NJ to VA you're either out I78 and down I81 or down the NJT to I95. Plenty of big, medium, and smaller cities along both routes and I'm sure there would be plenty of places to get things fixed should the need arise.

It's only 1000 miles round trip - not a huge trip by any means and if the vehicle has been reliable no reason to not do it.

I'd not rent from a private party for a long trip like that. You don't know the condition of the vehicle and if anything happens along the way how would you get it towed, get a replacement, and most importantly who will blame who. At least with a rental agency they get the car, give you another, and unless there's obvious signs of abuse, send you on the way.

Originally Posted by SevenBizzos
I used to have a 400 miles each way drive once a month and I always rented. Back then I could get a car for the weekend for $30.

I did a lot of that back a few years ago. Drove 750-1000 miles in a 3 day weekend sometimes. I cannot find the $30 specials anymore, or if you do, they are limited to 100 miles or something like that. Gave up looking now.

Thanks for the input. Most of you guys are right, I shouldnt have any issues considering I keep all of my cars in the best shape I can, and they are on the lift every month or 2 for a going over. I was worrying about the big what ifs, like the tow back home if needed and god forbid I let some other mechanic fix my cars, and then pay them on top of that! Or even worse, the dreaded oil cooler leak(14 hours of labor) letting loose on the way down. I wasnt implying that anyone down there wouldnt be able to fix it, its a rarer engine for the GLs and sometimes theres not much repair info out there depending on your manual, and every year looking around for european cars returns only a few as compared to where we live, so I assumed there arent many shops around to handle it. The free tow to the dealer in Roanoke makes sense, thats about 40 miles away so its really not that far just in case, although Ill be not happy paying their labor rate lol. I was treating the rental car more of an insurance policy, pay 650-800 and have no worries with a new vehicle, and if there is any issues, Enterprise will send another and take mine. I am looking forward to the big trip and see how well the GL can do on the long highway ride. One of the big selling points of the van was the fold flat floor, which was great for the dogs and cleared up a ton of room. We have a Thule for the extra junk and my RC planes I fly on the water, so Ill just need cross bars on the GL to make that work, and I have a hitch tray if we need to use that our back as well. Also considering the license plate GELANDE as per my fathers suggestion!

Im also heading up to Denmark Maine a week before with a few friends, about 375 miles, and everyone is pressuring me to take one of the M cars, but Im way to nervous about that. Maybe the E36 since it has a full size spare, the M5 has a spare but no jack or tools right now. The E46 would just be too small. I think Id much rather take my 200k mile TDI than the Ms with half the miles...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
I rent cars every week, for work.

I recently reserved a Lincoln continental, mostly because it has heated seats and plenty of interior wiggle room for a 2200 mile winter trip. What I got was an infinity Q50. No heated seats, tiny trunk and too small/tight for the crew. Might as well have rented an Altima.

My point is that you cannot count on rental companies to get you what you expect or what you really need.

I had this issue 2 years ago, they kept trying to swap me out with an SUV or smaller Explorer. I had to wait about 45 mins while they found the van I had reserved. Had to make a little bit of a stink also, providing me with a car that was less expensive to rent and smaller off the bat than the van I reserved made me angry. They cut an additional 10% off after we had to go about 15 miles away to get it.

You've owned this middle-aged Benz diesel for a year now, so you know how well it was maintained as well as how reliable it's been.
Assuming that this piece has proven suitable in your year of use, I'd not hesitate to take it on a 500 mile trip.
Bear in mind too that some display screen or other froo-froo failing will not bring your trip to an end. Baring an engine or transmission failure, which seem unlikely, you can drive the vehicle to destination and then back home.
I'd drive the Benz. That's what you bought it for.
Only rent a minivan if you need the additional room.

If it an otherwise reliable car, and is reasonably comfortable and roomy, take the Benz. At 12 years old another 1000 miles makes zero value difference. Long trips are good for it and will clear out any unburned fuel. You bought it to drive it, didn't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back