Rental Cars in France

About four years ago we rented a Fiat 500L diesel near the Mediterranean and drove it across France back to Paris stopping at few points along the way. Chateaus, LeMan, Normandy Sites.

It was diesel and automatic. Rented through Enterprise.

My reccomendation is Enterprise. While not the cheapest they seem to be the most straight shooting off all the providers. Less BS is always better.

Diesel and Gasoline was equally available everywhere for fueling.

I did manage to get a speed camera ticket, which showed up in the US by mail a few weeks later. Also, we spent a few hundred bucks on tolls but that is just part of it.

One obvious question I didn't ask about was the availability of hybrid rental vehicles in France. When we rented cars in Norway a few years ago, two of the three (a VW Golf GTE and an Audi A3) were hybrids. Both very nice vehicles.

PS I'd suggest booking a rental agency's smallest and cheapest car in Norway. They won't have one and you'll be upgraded to a very nicely equipped car like an Audi A3 instead.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
We're planning a 2 couple car rental in France next spring. The last time we were in France we rented a Renault Megane manual transmission + diesel engine hatchback.

Are rental cars now mostly: manuals or automatics? diesels or gasoline engine?

How does the price of gasoline compare with diesel fuel?

We would want a mid size car that seats 4 adults with room for a bit of luggage (probably 4 carry-ons and a picnic lunch with wine of course). Suggested vehicle? Suggested rental agency?
I've used Sixt in the balkans and Middle east. Ive had no problems with them

Paris has been having a bed bug problem. Bed bugs go for joy rides in all kinds of vehicles, including car rentals and bug sharing.

Back