Why is Mobil 1 0w30x1 rated higher than most

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found Mobil 1 has an oil comparison tool on their website and have made various comparisons with most of their oils. The 0w30 x1 rates equivalent to the 0w40fs and is rated higher than other ESP oils including the 0w40 esp. it also rates higher than any of their extended or annual performance oil.

Wondered if anyone would know potential reasons for this. The comparison tool uses about five or six categories like engine protection, high temperature tolerance, and ability to control sludge and deposits-among a few others. I viewed the 0w30 x1 as a niche oil mainly specified for newer Mercedes diesel vehicles-229.52 specification. Was impressed and surprised that it tied the 0w40 fs and rated higher than any other Mobil 1 synthetic that I compared it.

The AFE oil ? Looking at the uoas it shouldn't perform as good as it does.

Ok thanks i see it now. I'm often skeptical of those comparison tools.

I can understand skepticism to a degree but it really isn't in Mobil 1's best interest to have an obscure oil that is primarily available just at Mercedes Dealers to show better engine protection than their more commercialized oils and theoretically they should know.

Originally Posted by CT8
The AFE oil ? Looking at the uoas it shouldn't perform as good as it does.

i just looked up the x1 whoops.

Originally Posted by spiderbypass
it also rates higher than any of their extended or annual performance oil.
I think you mean "Annual Protection" oil.
Nearest to the M1 ESP 0w-30 X1 oil was the M1 Annual Protection 5w-30, and, you're right, Mobil lists the X1 as being better in a couple of categories.
It's because the X1 meets higher specs, the Mercedes specs it lists there. The M1 AP 5w30 only meets the less stringent dexos1 Gen2 specs.
Just going by what specs they meet, Mobil is saying the X1 is slightly better. However, I do wonder how accurate it is. They could just be going by a spec comparison in that tool.

Might be similar to using the Lubrizol spec performance comparison tool: https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html
Notice how the Mercedes specs usually stomp all the others there in most categories.

Originally Posted by spiderbypass
I can understand skepticism to a degree but it really isn't in Mobil 1's best interest to have an obscure oil that is primarily available just at Mercedes Dealers to show better engine protection than their more commercialized oils and theoretically they should know.

That oil meets toughest specifications in the world. Regular AFE oil does not. It is simple, but average buyer will not pay that price, and does not actually need that oil in 4cyl Camry.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
I'm confused. I see X1 in the title but the page looks like the AFE I can get at Walmart?

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp#0W-30

Not sure what you're looking at. The 0W-30 you linked is definitely not the one available at Walmart.

The Walmart one is "AFE" with Dexos1 gen2 approval. This one is "ESP" with MB and VAG approvals.

Ok. I clicked on the link and thought I got the right one. So can I get this oil somewhere? I would like to put this in my lq9. It likes thin oil

So can I get this oil somewhere? I would like to put this in my lq9. It likes thin oil

Advance Auto Parts usually has it. Mobil1 0w-30 x1 can be ordered over the internet too. Not stocked in a lot of places.
This would be great in an LQ9 since some new Corvettes are using a very similar oil, the M1 0w40 ESP oil these days.
I wouldn't call the M1 0w30 x1 "thin" with it's HTHS 3.5 though. Its not really too thick either though, so good to use in about any dexos1 application.

I'm not sure, but I think this is the XOM oil that had a detailed VOA posted on the Russian Oil Club website.
IIRC, Noack loss looked very good for a 0W30.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
So can I get this oil somewhere? I would like to put this in my lq9. It likes thin oil

Advance Auto Parts usually has it. Mobil1 0w-30 x1 can be ordered over the internet too. Not stocked in a lot of places.
This would be great in an LQ9 since some new Corvettes are using a very similar oil, the M1 0w40 ESP oil these days.
I wouldn't call the M1 0w30 x1 "thin" with it's HTHS 3.5 though. Its not really too thick either though, so good to use in about any dexos1 application.

This is thick W30 oil. HTHS of M1 0W40 ESP is 3.53 compared to 3.5 of X1.
If LQ9 likes thin oils, that would be ILSAC GF-5 W30 oil not this.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Thanks. I normally use M1 5w30, but have M1 ESp 0w40 in it now. Probably should have waited for summer to give it a try.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Thanks. I normally use M1 5w30, but have M1 ESp 0w40 in it now. Probably should have waited for summer to give it a try.

Well, 0W40 is going to have better cold starting performance in really cold weather.
I use 5W30 EP in my Toyota, but that is "light" W30 compared to X1. X1 is just shy of being W40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back