vavoline instant oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all it's been a wile. Want to see if you guys have an opinion about this.
I'm looking at buying an 05 Toyota Sequoia sr5 awd 4.7 with 188k original owner, he says always ran mobil one with an M1 filter.
then he hands me a Carfax with about 20 O.C.,s @ V.I.O.C. and a couple of random places. So I called them and ran the vin, nothing but conventional oil @ between 5-6000 O.C.I.'s with the occasional 7000+. All that said it is a cream puff, sounds like a Toyota V8 should, runs good but it seems a little lacking in the power department.(1'st 4.7 I.ve driven) this is a heavy suv, about 2.5t. I'm used to my 99 suburban 5.7 that this would replace.
Sorry for going so long but would you buy this suv only one oil change @ the dealer, VIOC started @ 74 k no records prior except @ 140 miles dealer service with oil change at 30 k for a recall on the ball joints. Also he says he did a timing belt service himself @ 150k, no receipts.
Thoughts? Many thanks in advance!

I used VIOC in all my company vans up until the current one, usually always at 5K, and the VWB and Maxlife both did a good job. The current VWB is synthetic blend in 5W20 & 5W30, you could do worse in the oil department. I've never owned a 4.7, but I would think it would have somewhat less torque & HP than a Vortec 350, the 2 Savanas I had with one were both the fastest loaded work vans I've ever had.

My rule of thumb is if they lie about one thing, then they are lying about more things. Consider everything he said a lie. I personally would walk.

I bought a motorcycle once. Guy said he put a new battery in it "two weeks ago" as well as two brand new tires, and also just changed the oil, "like 500 miles ago. When I got it home, the oil was a quart low and black and looked 6000 miles old. And the battery and tires were OEM factory dated units that came from the fsctory, and we're never changed. Why did he lie? It made no sense.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
He lied which is reason enough to avoid buying it.

yeah... Either because he's clueless or because it's what he thinks you want to hear. I wouldn't trust the belt was changed. I've heard that before and they meant the serpentine belt or they didn't change it at all.

Originally Posted by silver1
Hello all it's been a wile. Want to see if you guys have an opinion about this.
I'm looking at buying an 05 Toyota Sequoia sr5 awd 4.7 with 188k original owner, he says always ran mobil one with an M1 filter.
then he hands me a Carfax with about 20 O.C.,s @ V.I.O.C. and a couple of random places. So I called them and ran the vin, nothing but conventional oil @ between 5-6000 O.C.I.'s with the occasional 7000+. All that said it is a cream puff, sounds like a Toyota V8 should, runs good but it seems a little lacking in the power department.(1'st 4.7 I.ve driven) this is a heavy suv, about 2.5t. I'm used to my 99 suburban 5.7 that this would replace.
Sorry for going so long but would you buy this suv only one oil change @ the dealer, VIOC started @ 74 k no records prior except @ 140 miles dealer service with oil change at 30 k for a recall on the ball joints. Also he says he did a timing belt service himself @ 150k, no receipts.
Thoughts? Many thanks in advance!

He did the timing belt himself, but not the OC?! He lied about other things as well...run run run!

that 4.7 engine is the only passenger car engine ever approved for aviation...most Toyota engines run fine on conventional, start it stone cold to see if it puffs blue...starter is in the intake manifold, R/R $1,000.00 I'd plan a TB/WP serpentine maybe some new pulleys without records assume the worse 4.7 is a interference engine.

Originally Posted by dblshock
that 4.7 engine is the only passenger car engine ever approved for aviation...most Toyota engines run fine on conventional, start it stone cold to see if it puffs blue...starter is in the intake manifold, R/R $1,000.00 I'd plan a TB/WP serpentine maybe some new pulleys without records assume the worse 4.7 is a interference engine.

Yes $850 for a new starter; the 4.7 was not the one approved for aviation (wikipedia); the 1UZ-FE variant is, the 2UZ-FE has a cast iron block and is not found in passenger cars.

I'd be wary of this purchase; the 4.7 is, however, an awesome motor.

Last edited:
I'd like to own a Toyota 4.7L full frame SUV myself...buying a cream puff however is a competitive nightmare.

Thanks for all the quick reply's If I was keeping score looks like about 10-2 against!
I have to say most of u all are telling me what I already know but didn't want to hear.

Last edited:
My suburban has 195k has a 2k trans rebuild @ about 160-170k, intake manifold & fuel tank and pump last year, + a few other things.
no working ac and its NO cream puff!

it's complicated...lot going on...but I'd drive it down the road..panic brake it, try rolling stops/turns to see if you can make the trans stumble...suspension bushings, tie ends all wear but if the driveline is solid and the body and interior are solid you may be getting a steal at $6500 understanding you'll invest up to retail to make it perfect....but then you have something golden. g/l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back