Oil recommendations for dad's truck, severe duty?

I think the wheels/tires and driving conditions in this case will make such a difference that oil will be a completely negligible difference in fuel mileage.
I would definitely be using 0w30 or 5w30 of some kind. Probably a euro oil of some kind, whatever can be purchased on sale regularly. I use 0w40 in my 5w30 spec truck with high mileage, but I would probably go 0w30 in a 0w20 spec vehicle.
It’s not a 0w-20 spec engine. See what I posted above from the service manual. 0w-20 is economy / CAFE oil.

2GR-FKS 1
European Lexus GS 350 2015 Manual with 2GR-FKS.
US manuals are CAFE spec. for NA only as always.
You can run basically any viscosity aslong as its good quality oil.

1694274314338.png

1694274414967.png

Last edited:
The sticker under the hood and owners manual spec 0w20 or 5w20 in emergency cases
As mentioned, sticker under the hood only list CAFE oil. Thin oil = less engine protection especially when towing and under heavy load.

Attachments

• IMG_1337.jpeg
    IMG_1337.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
In Idaho in the winter towing? At least a 5-30. This one - I might even step up to 10-30 or be one of the occasions it might warrant 10-40.

In Idaho in the winter towing? At least a 5-30. This one - I might even step up to 10-30 or be one of the occasions it might warrant 10-40.
He doesn't tow much in the winter but he does like to help unstick cars from ditches and he's pulled stuck semis and tractors before.

at least a 5-30 then. Quit trippin over what the sticker says. It's IDAHO in the winter, aka southern Canada. When it warms up, think about 40. I still think I'd run 10-30 (edit) year round

Haha okay thats great. I mean from an engine/wear standpoint.
Seems like a roundabout way to try to go from 5W30 to 5W40. That would be more effective if you want thicker oil. Especially in cold climate.

Amsoil signature 5w-30 would be more than fine and good fram ultra filter..7k to 10k or schaeffers 9000 5w-30 or pennzoil ultra 5w-30,,,or royal purple high performance 5w-30,,, many choices to choose from

What would be the benefit of 10W30 over 0-5W30?
Brainfart. I meant 5-30 year round. He shouldn't run 10w in winter not towing. Too cold up in the hills. In summer, unless stuff has changed, 10w is generally a little more resistant to shear. And towing heavy up hills is brutal on gas engines. Good catch! Appreciate it. I was thinking bass ackeards on 2 posts.

So, since I already ordered a 6qt case of HPL 0w40, the current plan is to use that next OCI, run it for 10±K, do a UOA and depending the results go from that.

I'm still surprised he's receptive to me trying this with his truck. Thanks everyone.

Just got my 6qt case of HPL 0w40 delivered today. When dad's next oil change is due I will be using that, plus the PIAA Z14-M oil filter and running both for roughly 10,000 miles then sending a sample to Blackstone to see how it compares to this UOA from awhile back.

This will definitely be interesting.

Just got my 6qt case of HPL 0w40 delivered today. When dad's next oil change is due I will be using that, plus the PIAA Z14-M oil filter and running both for roughly 10,000 miles then sending a sample to Blackstone to see how it compares to this UOA from awhile back.

This will definitely be interesting.
HPL will serve you well. Probably will return excellent retention in 10k.
But in that engine, you can run anything with MB229.5 approval. That is in general, the overall most stringent approval for high-SAPS oil, and you have plenty of options in Wal-Mart, including Mobil1 0W40.

Back