All those in favor of saving gasoline...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by StevieC
I don't pay for gas so I could care less!

Well ain't you special.

I save gas to save money. If you grew up during the Saudi oil shock and resulting rationing then you would understand.

No I understand... I used to pay for gas on my dime (sort of with a car allowance) so I was always shopping for price then. Now I have a fuel card from work and could care less.

I'm a penny minder when it's my penny's.

I hear ya. I have been getting my gasoline from Fred Meyers which is a Kroger affiliate in these parts. Using their fuel rewards this morning I was able to get premium for $1.99 a gal which is super low around here.

Taking advantage of rewards or club membership helps quite a bit. Getting over 30mpg on the Mazda in city driving helps as well.

I saved more than 10% in fuel consumption by dropping my open road speed by 10%, there is no difference time time as once you hit traffic all the cars are together again. Engine capacity is similar...a smaller engine travelling at the same speed will consume less fuel. A far, far better way to conserve fuel than by oil viscosity, which hardly makes any difference at all.

Originally Posted by Silk
I saved more than 10% in fuel consumption by dropping my open road speed by 10%, there is no difference time time as once you hit traffic all the cars are together again. Engine capacity is similar...a smaller engine travelling at the same speed will consume less fuel. A far, far better way to conserve fuel than by oil viscosity, which hardly makes any difference at all.

I started doing this. Makes for a more peaceful drive as well. Park myself in the right lane, maybe draft a semi (but not be up their butt), and just cruise. Flat ground, 55-60mph, drafting a semi, my car is showing 40-45mpg.

No jackrabbit starts, shift up as early as reasonably possible, keep tires inflated, chassis aligned, overall vehicle maintained, go with the flow (generally). Pretty simple. Anyone wanting to drive super fast can just go around me.

Originally Posted by Silk

Not always. You can burn much more fuel in a small engine that is working hard, compared to a larger engine that's not working very hard. Displacement has its benefits and its drawbacks, depending on the situation. For example, my 1992 Thunderbird 3.8 V6 averaged 26 MPG mixed where my 2006 Tacoma 2.7 I4 averages 22 MPG mixed, on the exact same route.
But I agree with the general idea that speeding between stoplights is a terrible waste of gas and typically gets you nowhere. People get *super* [censored] when I see a red light ahead and take my foot off the gas... they all want to blast full speed ahead and slam on the brakes at the last minute. So stupid. It's absurd how many people can only see 5 feet ahead of their noses. Look at the big picture... and see you at the next light
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back