Carquest Blue 84356

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the media tearing was a few isolated incidents. It was in the neighborhood of 100+ instances reported here. So one would have to conclude it was also happening quite often to other people who don't hang out here.

If the current filters have an issue or not, there's not much data to say, because hardly anyone here uses them here for a C&P and inspection.

Originally Posted by Pinoak
Ive never had a purolator tear. I dont buy into the whole debacle. I think it was some isolated issues that were being blown way out of poropotion and I think the issue dosent exist anymore since purolator changed their design.
That being said, if its gonna cause you worry its not worth it. You could just return them if so.

I have never been shot, I don't buy into the whole debacle. I think it was some isolated issues that were being blown way out of proportion and I think the issue doesn't exist anymore since new laws are in place.

This makes as much sense as your comment.
Never happened to me, so not a problem.

The fact that there was such a small sample being done here, yet so many tears, makes you wonder how wide this issue really was.

Just curious, how many Purolators did you cut open between 2014 and now?
Me, I have cut open 5 filters made by Purolator (4 used, 1 brand new). 2 of these had torn media.
So for me, a 50% failure rate of used Purolator made filters seems quite high. Yes my sample is low, no I am not saying 50% of all Purolators tear, but those are the numbers I personally have experienced.
That said, I do have a PureOne filter that I was given on my sisters Santa Fe, it was made in the 2015 time frame I believe, and will cut that open when I change it.

I will agree we are not seeing as many tears as we used to, so maybe they have addressed the issue, but 5 years of problems they they were aware of with not a peep from them when asked about it, well, I will not buy another Purolator made filter for a long, long time, even once proven that the issues is 100% resolved.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Ive never had a purolator tear. I dont buy into the whole debacle. I think it was some isolated issues that were being blown way out of poropotion and I think the issue dosent exist anymore since purolator changed their design.
That being said, if its gonna cause you worry its not worth it. You could just return them if so.

I have never been shot, I don't buy into the whole debacle. I think it was some isolated issues that were being blown way out of proportion and I think the issue doesn't exist anymore since new laws are in place.

This makes as much sense as your comment.
Never happened to me, so not a problem.

The fact that there was such a small sample being done here, yet so many tears, makes you wonder how wide this issue really was.

Just curious, how many Purolators did you cut open between 2014 and now?
Me, I have cut open 5 filters made by Purolator (4 used, 1 brand new). 2 of these had torn media.
So for me, a 50% failure rate of used Purolator made filters seems quite high. Yes my sample is low, no I am not saying 50% of all Purolators tear, but those are the numbers I personally have experienced.
That said, I do have a PureOne filter that I was given on my sisters Santa Fe, it was made in the 2015 time frame I believe, and will cut that open when I change it.

I will agree we are not seeing as many tears as we used to, so maybe they have addressed the issue, but 5 years of problems they they were aware of with not a peep from them when asked about it, well, I will not buy another Purolator made filter for a long, long time, even once proven that the issues is 100% resolved.

l cut open atleast 10 because i bout several classics and pure ones from kmart closeing sale and from walmart after they took them off the shelf.
all the ones from kmart are older. Most of the ones from walmart are the new design inside but still paintd white just before they changed the color. They have the louvers and all. Never an issue yet on any old or new.

l cut open atleast 10 because i bout several classics and pure ones from kmart closeing sale and from walmart after they took them off the shelf.
all the ones from kmart are older. Most of the ones from walmart are the new design inside but still paintd white just before they changed the color. They have the louvers and all. Never an issue yet on any old or new.

Glad you had good results.
Like I said, my results were not good, and having seen many others that have had tearing problems.

I still have a bunch of Puros from the old, bad days-I will use them for short OCIs with thin oil, but I sure as heck am not going to buy any more. AAP actually still has some of the NOS Frampion ones available, I picked 4 SBC ones lately to get over the free shipping, Speedperks, and 25% discount levels-need to know the part numbers.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by zfasts03
It was also stated that cutting the filter apart to inspect, would void any warranty or liability on their part. It would need to be shipped to them intact..

That right there is enough to tell me I don't need to buy filters from them.

In fairness, I think most, if not all, filter manufacturers have that policy.

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by zfasts03
It was also stated that cutting the filter apart to inspect, would void any warranty or liability on their part. It would need to be shipped to them intact..

That right there is enough to tell me I don't need to buy filters from them.

In fairness, I think most, if not all, filter manufacturers have that policy.
They do, Fram is the same way-once you cut it open, there's no way to determine if the filter caused a problem or if it was just tampered with to make it look like it did. My issue with Mann & Hummel is their total lack of concern for the filters that have screwed up and (fortunately) NOT grenaded an engine, even with obvious faults such as non-deburred baseplates, weak/torn media, etc. They tolerate flaws in the USA and other places that would NEVER be allowed in Germany!

Yes, I agree with that. If they don't want to take ownership of the problem in the first place, that's an issue. That's the trust issue. If they don't think that those issues are a problem, what inside are they going to dismiss?

Carquest blue filter are very good.. I have seen them at work and I have seen them cut open. They are great qualtiy.. Id say better then PURO ONE... IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back