Champ XL mileage rating?

I just bought two Champ PH2867XL filters for the Odyssey. They look well built and appear to be identical to ACDelco but with 99% efficiency (at some undisclosed micron level) and with a silicone ADBV. I suspect they can go 10k miles (two 5k OCIs) but I don't see any mileage claims on the boxes or on the rock auto site. The spreadsheet from @Bellavita indicates 99% at 20um and 15k miles but I don't know if that is current (he also indicates they have a metal tube but the ones I received are ecore). Is the current info available for these?

20230913_202119.jpg

20230913_202125.jpg

20230913_202129.jpg

20230913_202133.jpg

20230913_202149.jpg

20230913_202358.jpg

The Motomaster OE Plus, which is the same filter as a Champ XL is advertised are good for 15,000 miles when used with synthetic oil. However, this is probably decided by the marketing department.

I use these filters and like them.

Having said that, I don't believe for a minute the 20um rating. That apparently comes from someone emailing Champ, and maybe thats the answer they got, but I contend that since the Supertech MP lists 30um, and if it really were 20um they would likely advertise that - First brands sure would now that they own them, my guess is its 30um. As mentioned, they look identical.

I still like the filter, but I never run 10K OCI so that I can not answer.

I wouldn’t have a problem using one. It is probably comparable to the Super Tech MP line.
What’s the problem with E-Core? Nearly every cartridge oil filter is some version of E-Core.
Core diameter is large vs. traditional perf metal core, this takes away precious filter surface area.
And the open cage structure subjects the media folds to high forced per unit area which increases possibility of tearing of media. Typical scenario would be used oil with high moisture content, cold winter starts and subsequent warm- up.

I would not run this construction or size spin-on over two OCi

- Ken

I got no issues with E-core. Heck, my 08 Passat oil filter housing has the E-core built in.

1694703443361.png

I'd rather use the E-core than a louvered metal core, which can have questionable louvers.

When was the last time someone posted an E-core filter with torn media? AFAIK, when it was posted, they had a stamped metal core (including Purolator perforated metal core)

Last edited:
Too large of windows in the eCore cage days haven't been around for a long time. In the early days of the eCore center tube design, some had too large of windows in the center tube, and that combuned with wide pleats could cause the media to blow through the eCore windows. But that failure hasn't been seen in a long time. Seems the filter makers have addressed that issue now.

Too large of windows in the eCore cage days haven't been around for a long time. In the early days of the eCore center tube design, some had too large of windows in the center tube, and that combuned with wide pleats could cause the media to blow through the eCore windows. But that failure hasn't been seen in a long time. Seems the filter makers have addressed that issue now.
Never had issues with E-core on Mann cartridge filters on my 02 Golf TDI.

1694753869094.jpg

Back