Rifle Optics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by billt460
Leupold was always the "go to" scope for most all applications. Today that is not the case. There is some very good glass coming from Bushnell, Vortex, Burris, and many other outfits today. Many at a fraction of the cost, with similar or better guarantees than Leupold offers. Leupold makes a fine scope, no question about it. But they're not the only one's on the block who do any longer.

If I may throw my 3-cents in ... For 'red dot' type scopes, the top end remains Aimpoint, but you pay for that through the nose for that quality and durability. Leupold isn't far behind in the price stratosphere. Not everyone needs the Aimpoint construction, and there are a plethora of LED dot scopes on the market that do just fine at much more bearable priaces.

For Low Power Illuminated scopes, outfits like Nightforce are hard to beat, but, again, you pay through the nostrils. And again, there are less expensive, albeit possibly less durable choices out there.

As far as conventional scopes that go on traditional hunting rifles (whatever 'traditional' really is these days), true, there are a lot of moderate priced competitors, but in the end, it all comes down to the quality of the glass. You can have the best tube and best internal ajustments, but use so-so glass and you end up with, well, a lousy POS. I'm just not inclined to view any scope coming out of China as worth wasting money on. Quality Japanese, even Korean optics are far superior.

I was 'advised' (at NRA convention) from someone at Leupold that their top end glass is specified by Leupold and made by Nikon. That said, in 50 years of using scopes of various types, I'll still go for a Leupold atop any hunting rifle.

DMR situations - then we're talking a whole 'nuther ballgame with optics there.

I use a Hensoldt 3-12x56 on my do it all shorty .308Win & a Hensoldt 3.5-26x56 on my .338LM.

Great glass, and the tubes are robust. Nice turrets & the simple reticles that I've been used to over the past couple decades.

I'd happily rock a higher end Leup or one of the older Vortex's, but the nephews snagged them all.

One scope that I've been disappointed in is the March. The eye relief just didn't work for me.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Cousin bought a new rifle & asked me about Vottex scopes .

I have no direct experience with them . However , I can not remember hearing any thing bad about them .

Advice ?

I'm a die-hard Nightforce fan. Vortex is good, but I feel like Nightforce is a step up in reliability. For me, glass comes second to the mechanical function and repeatability of an optic. I've owned some nice european glass, and t he NF isn't up to that, but it IS functionally good enough, and the robustness is second to none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back