Who wants to see ugly? AKA. Worst staking I've ever seen?

I bought my ruger sfar "ready to go" Ran about 150 rounds of 150grain 308 and 147grain m80 through it.
Did my first full tear down and clean as it developed an odd ejection pattern and gouge on the "casing base" when ejecting.

This is my first "AR" style rifle. not afraid to say I am very new to this type of rifle.
I have cleaned a few classics, bolt actions, and .22 semi's previously.

Ready for cleaning -- not a fan of the cheap bipod I'll probably remove it or switch it out.
1713735147886.jpg

Worlds worst staking job? Top of the Bolt Carrier. I ripped my glove and shredded a rag its so sharp..
1713735300800.jpg

I cant confirm it yet but it looks like a piece of the black anodizing flaked off and was stuck under the ejector.. so that was probably the issue I was having. Also was intensely carboned up at the back of the bolt for 150 rounds.
Brass brush and solvent didn't do much... ended up picking it with a stainless pick for 10min.
Might grab some stronger solvent too. All I had was CLP, some oil, and grease.
Maybe a stainless brush they say its ok to use on the bolt.

Any suggestions?

I bought my ruger sfar "ready to go" Ran about 150 rounds of 150grain 308 and 147grain m80 through it.
Did my first full tear down and clean as it developed an odd ejection pattern and gouge on the "casing base" when ejecting.

This is my first "AR" style rifle. not afraid to say I am very new to this type of rifle.
I have cleaned a few classics, bolt actions, and .22 semi's previously.

Any suggestions?
Completely deburr the entire BCG. Nothing too aggressive, get it ready to polish. Then polish all moving parts so they slide/move in your hand smoothly and easily. I do this to all my AR style rifles. Your new rifle will run flawlessly, even when filthy dirty.

EDIT: Why is there only one screw?

Last edited:
Completely deburr the entire BCG. Nothing too aggressive, get it ready to polish. Then polish all moving parts so they slide/move in your hand smoothly and easily. I do this to all my AR style rifles. Your new rifle will run flawlessly, even when filthy dirty.

EDIT: Why is there only one screw?
its a ruger sfar.. ar-15 size.. shoots .308 -- proprietary

I'll probably drop it off. Handy when your Father is a machinist for 35 years.
Wire EDM but has the tools for this certainly.
bigger pic
1713741403105.jpg

Worlds worst staking job? Top of the Bolt Carrier. I ripped my glove and shredded a rag its so sharp..
Does not look all that great. I would use a diamond file or diamond sharpening stone to clean that up, especially on the sides. The one screw as opposed to two has to be because of the "short" design. The look and function of the staking are two different things. Does look terrible.

One thing I used to do, is dehorn the bolt aswell, not the rear where the bolt lock, but all other surfaces, around the bolt lugs just to smooth it out. I found that it helped with stoppages. This works perfect:

Also was intensely carboned up at the back of the bolt for 150 rounds.
This is normal on the DI system. After 150 rounds, it will be nasty. The best way that I have found to help with this issue is Militec 1 treatment, after a polishing, like @Pablo said.........then keep lubed. There is a third hole in the bolt carrier, near that area, 1 drop of lube will help. The Militec 1 will help with the removal of carbon in that area, but not accumulation. I have thought about this issue for sometime, maybe a bit of 15w40 diesel oil would be advantageous here.

The AR direct impingement system is a dirty one, and needs to be lubed and clean. I wish someone would chrome this area in the bolt.

The staking may have left a couple of sharp burrs - but it was staked well. That bolt won’t come loose, which, after all, is the point of staking. Smooth off the sharp points, and be glad they staked it well.

Also, that bolt wear looks fairly good. It has relatively even finish wear on the rails of the bolt, which means that bolt is pretty straight, that is, it is machined straight, so that all of the rail is bearing on the upper.

Ruger makes rifles at a certain price point, like this one. It’s a good gun, but it’s not a $4,000 gun. The design, that fits .308 magazines and cartridges in a 5.56 size upper and lower. That’s unique to Ruger. Nobody else is doing it. It’s an interesting rifle.

Of note, and much more important than this detail, it ran well for you, right?

Keep us posted on how it breaks in.

Get a couple of spare parts - extractor spring, firing pin, ejector spring, bolt cotter key.

I wouldn’t use a stainless brush on any part of it. If the extractor is that gunked up - bronze brush should take care of it. I buy bronze brushes by the pack on Amazon.

Ruger has an excellent lifetime warranty. Send it back, they will make it like it should be. They pay for shipping and everything. Been there, done that.

Tel them it cut the snot out of you.

Wow. Didn’t know about that. Thanks!

Interestingly - the POF bolt carrier group has only one bolt holding on the gas key.

And the staking looks similar.
I just learned something new, lol. I had no idea that most .308 calibre AR-style rifles had longer receivers. We've got so few options up here at this point, familiarity is, let's just say, "lacking".

Worst staking job? Nope.
The worst is when it is not done at all or so poorly it does not engage. Seen it multiple times.
I would just lightly dress it with a file and call it a day.

Worst staking job? Nope.
The worst is when it is not done at all or so poorly it does not engage. Seen it multiple times.
I would just lightly dress it with a file and call it a day.
Perhaps we say worst looking, yet still functional staking job? It IS ugly! But, as you said, at least it is done and appears to be working.

Perhaps we say worst looking, yet still functional staking job? It IS ugly! But, as you said, at least it is done and appears to be working.

Agree!

The important thing is how does that gun run. It has fascinated me although I rarely shoot rifles. range report on how she shoots.

1714683589663.jpg

On the same subject but slightly different point. I recent saw one of these in person. And the staking job was similar. Ruger is using some steel which is a higher strength than typical for this application, due to the size to power thing I am sure.......If there is no issue, them there is no issue, but why not. Maybe the buffer is shorter and thereby the carrier goes into the buffer tube further? That is the only thing I can see.

And in thinking about it.....the "ugliness" might be due to the steel being harder or stronger

Back