Rifle Optics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by Nyogtha
Vortex offers a lifetime warranty with their optics.

Yes and I know a guy at my Gun Club that's on his fifth replacement for his one and only Vortex.

They seem to have a great warranty and honor it their scope just isn't worth Shinola!

I think I know what you're trying to say, but your use of Shinola is confusing.

Shinola made shoe polish.

Good shoe polish.

The expression "doesn't know s&@! from Shinola" was intended to convey the ignorance of the person in question, who couldn't tell the two, one good, one clearly not, apart.

So, a warranty that "isn't worth Shinola" is less emphatic than I think you intended.

I've dropped and exploded two Vortex optics, just being clumsey. Send them back, they replaced with new optics no questions asked within about 10 days time frame. Good service.

That's quick! Leupold told me 36 working days to repair the Vari-X IIC that couldn't be focused, so call it an easy 2 months plus $17 for UPS ground shipping to them out of my pocket.

One think I like about Konus is it's a straight up replacement guarantee, and if you're on a hunting trip when a scope they make fails I've seen they've sent a replacement by overnight express to the mailing address where you're at, not just standard shipping to your tesidence, from info on the 'net.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nyogtha
That's quick! Leupold told me 36 working days to repair the Vari-X IIC that couldn't be focused, so call it an easy 2 months plus $17 for UPS ground shipping to them out of my pocket.

One think I like about Konus is it's a straight up replacement guarantee, and if you're on a hunting trip when a scope they make fails I've seen they've sent a replacement by overnight express to the mailing address where you're at, not just standard shipping to your tesidence, from info on the 'net.

LOL can you buy the Konus for $17. We are currently not in many hunting seasons I can think of.

Post a link for a Konus 7273 3-12X50 for $17.

I do know where I can buy it for $99, as well as where good reviews including Chuck Hawks and Randy Wakeman on longevity of the Konus scope they've tried out.

Then post a link where Leupold will send you a replacement by overnight express at no cost to the customer.

You keep on truckin with your 45 year old optical coating technology with eyes to boot! I know what my eyes work better with, as well as my wallet. I comprehend the progression of technology with time.

It's still spike and doe season here in Texas buck season ended Sunday. No season on Axis deer or feral hogs in Texas, open hunting of those species is year round in Texas with no bag or tag limits you just need a Texas hunting license. There's even hog hunting by helicopter here.

https://www.helibacon.com/texas-helicopter-hog-hunting/

Same for exotic game on ranches that raise exotic game here, no need for a plane ticket to other continents. TPWD even had a drawing for such hunting.

Guess that shows the limit of what you can think of relative to the second largest state in the US. It's very easy to be hunting quite a distance from your residence and still be in your state of residence here. We have the highest mile marker number in the US, Mile 880, where I-10 crosses the Sabine River into Louisiana after enterning from New Mexico near El Paso. Wide state with clearly wider breadth of opportunities for thought capacity.

Enjoy yor LOLing, high ambient temperatures have been in the 70's here this week and I took a whitetail spike just the other day with my .25-06 about an hour and a half drive from where I live on a friend's family property outside Bandera. Clean head shot, bang - flop. Now I just need to bag a feral hog and I'll be smoking some outstanding homemade sausage in my 24" diameter trailer mounted original Oklahoma Joe combination offset smoker with the chili meat venson (what's left after backstraps, tenderloin, and roasts) ground 50/50 with the pork. I can go bag an Axis any time later.

FWIW, I'm really glad I grew up in Texas and have been able to return for my retirement after spending 16 years out of state (2000 - 2016) building my career.

Last edited:
Here's what I just had mounted to my custom .264 Win Mag with antelope hunts (yes we have those in Texas too around Dalhart) in mind.

http://www.konus.com/us/Catalogue/Hunting-and-shooting/Riflescopes/Hunting/KONUSPRO-PLUS-3-12x50/

https://cameralandny.com/mobile/products.html?catalog%5Bsearch%5D%5Btext%5D=7273&catalog%5Bsort%5D%5Bon%5D=relevance&x=0&y=0

$99.99 with no sales tax for shipment to TX, $9.99 shipping.

While you're LOLing with very few hunting seasons YOU are capable of thinking of, I'll keep hunting year round with an incredibly wide vareity of opportunites on a TX resident hunting license, driving to my hunting spots with no concerns whether my rifle or ammo my rifle is sighted in for including custom hand loads will get delayed or diverted in airline baggage!

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/...al-regulations/2018_2019_hunting_seasons

Just one example of many locations available here

https://www.oxhuntingranch.com/hunting/

My friend's property near Bandera has about a 3:1 ratio of Axis to whitetail deer. Just resident TX hunting license, gas money, ice to pack carcasses, and ammo cost to me to go hunting there. Then plus processing on what I bag. No destructive feral hogs there which is fine there's plenty of places for hunting destructive nuisance feral pigs here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

LOL can you buy the Konus for $17. We are currently not in many hunting seasons I can think of.

Apparently your reading comprehension has room for improvement.

If my Konus fails I can have the FREE replacement shipped overnight express to me nothing out of my pocket to accomplish this before ever doing anything with the failed scope if on a hunting trip.FREE REPLACEMENT WARRANTY emphasized just for you.

Compare that to $17 out of my pocket and 8 weeks time to receive a repaired Leupold - you seem to believe I purchased that Leupold for $17 when not only is that not factual, it isn't even implied in my posts.

Here's a replacement cost for my no longer produced Leupold Vari-X IIC 3-9X50 scope currently at Leopold's facility awaiting repair, cost is from from eBay except mine's in better cosmetic condition.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEUPOLD-3X9-50mm-VARI-X-IIc-CP1032881/122853950350?hash=item1c9aaa838e:g:6ikAAOSw5cZb8y6E

$200 in worse shape - mine could probably be listed for $250 and sell easily. With older optical coatings to boot vs my Konus scope.

Maybe you should check out '53 Stude's thread with regard to Seasonal Affective Disorder, however your symptoms of poor reading comprehension and extremely narrow perceptual ability aren't typical. Those may just be your personal preference.

No cases of SAD in warm sunny South Texas I've ever heard of BTW.

Last edited:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwikjaPh59_fAhXp1IMKHe37AygQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.forbes.com%2Fsites%2Fnataliewexler%2F2018%2F05%2F19%2Fwhy-johnny-still-cant-read-and-what-to-do-about-it%2F&psig=AOvVaw1QsOVc_ArS0vRT04oBdEDi&ust=1547092753403412

Are you this original Johnny (Johnson?)?

Rifle optic preference is largely up to the owner and what works for them. Any reasonable quality scope will work to a large degree. However there comes a point where the shooter finds what his needs are and hones his choices.

I like my fixed 10X SS scope on my 308. It's has zero fancy features, but it's water clear and it's easy to be accurate with it, just dial in the distance.

Waiting for a rifle on order... Browning H3LL's Canyon Mcmillan in 7MM Rem Mag. (Don't need another 300WM) Bought 400 Federal brass the other day, but what for a scope?

I was thinking Leupold VX-6 HD 3-18. What say you?

Originally Posted by userfriendly
Waiting for a rifle on order... Browning H3LL's Canyon Mcmillan in 7MM Rem Mag. (Don't need another 300WM) Bought 400 Federal brass the other day, but what for a scope?

I was thinking Leupold VX-6 HD 3-18. What say you?

It's an excellent scope with a ton of features on it. I assume intended use is hunting?

Yes. My son does guide work. Sheep and goats hang out at 6000 feet and higher where winds are strong and shots are always 300-600 yards. A hunter must circle around and get above the animals.
The wild card.. you must carry enough gun to kill a grizzly bear if charged. Sometimes they will take possession of a kill. Alaskan brown bears, much larger,are another story. 375 Ruger has become the go-to caliber up there.

In windy conditions, flight time becomes a factor. I want at least 2900 fps at muzzle and 2200 fps at target. I'll start with Nosler ABLR 168, BC 611 and go from there.

I couldn't talk him into using my 700 Sendero in 264 Win. Too heavy and maybe not enough for grizzly.

Yes. My son does guide work. Sheep and goats hang out at 6000 feet and higher where winds are strong and shots are always 300-600 yards. A hunter must circle around and get above the animals.
The wild card.. you must carry enough gun to kill a grizzly bear if charged. Sometimes they will take possession of a kill. Alaskan brown bears, much larger,are another story. 375 Ruger has become the go-to caliber up there.

In windy conditions, flight time becomes a factor. I want at least 2900 fps at muzzle and 2200 fps at target. I'll start with Nosler ABLR 168, BC 611 and go from there.

I couldn't talk him into using my 700 Sendero in 264 Win. Too heavy and maybe not enough for grizzly.

.338LM is another option with a fantastic ballistics profile.

PHs should use a round that can be purchased at Walmart or Canadian Tire. I have a 338 LM in a 995 Sako. The dove tail scope mount is an issue, and it isn't a light weight by any means.fun, but expensive to shoot and re-load.
I did up some 185 T-TSX Barnes for the LM that should exit at 3400 FPS. That should cut the flight time. The BC is only .400, so it gives up velocity quickly. Good luck too finding 264 Win mag in some small town on a Sunday, should the ammo end up floating down the river.
Back to the old traditional, 7mm Rem and 300 Win mags.

I hear ya on no easy big box store availability of .264 Win Mag, much less finding on a shelf in a remote area. Those areas you describe are beyond where my body would allow "fun" hunting these days.

PHs should use a round that can be purchased at Walmart or Canadian Tire. I have a 338 LM in a 995 Sako. The dove tail scope mount is an issue, and it isn't a light weight by any means.fun, but expensive to shoot and re-load.
I did up some 185 T-TSX Barnes for the LM that should exit at 3400 FPS. That should cut the flight time. The BC is only .400, so it gives up velocity quickly. Good luck too finding 264 Win mag in some small town on a Sunday, should the ammo end up floating down the river.
Back to the old traditional, 7mm Rem and 300 Win mags.

185's? Jeez, I thought my 225's were light
lol.gif

And yeah, unfortunately some of these rounds aren't super common. I know my local shop stocks .338LM, .50BMG, 6.5CM...etc but CT and WM certainly don't.

I have a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 on my AR that currently gets the most use.

Other optics I have:
Trijicon Accupoint 3-9
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14
PO 4x17
Aimpoint Comp M2
Aimpoint PRO

For the money I'm happy with the Vortex. Even with the other optics I've used, it doesn't disappoint.

By the best scope you can afford and expect to get what you paid for. Customer service is very important when the scope needs repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back