Torque Wrench Accuracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please excuse me if this is the dumbest question ever asked here . Does extremely cold or hot weather affect accuracy of a mechanical torque wrench ?

Torsion bar or click-type? I'm not sure it makes a difference... but just asking
smile.gif

I think that is a very good question. We were just talking about the Harbor Freight T wrenches and some of the guys here swear by them on accuracy and durability.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Torsion bar or click-type? I'm not sure it makes a difference... but just asking
smile.gif

Click type

I would warm it up to room temp (if possible) and set it at a much lower setting than I needed and click it through a few times before giving it the final setting just to make sure the lube is not too thick.

Originally Posted by Trav
I would warm it up to room temp (if possible) and set it at a much lower setting than I needed and click it through a few times before giving it the final setting just to make sure the lube is not too thick.

Yeah good idea Trav , why didn't I think of that .

Originally Posted by Kjmack
Please excuse me if this is the dumbest question ever asked here . Does extremely cold or hot weather affect accuracy of a mechanical torque wrench ?

Yes, temperature changes will change the tension and length of a spring in a click type wrench. Unless the operation you are doing is extremely critical, I wouldn't worry about it. When I was in the Air Force, aircraft mechanics used their clicker wrenches in winter conditions without problems.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted by Kjmack
Please excuse me if this is the dumbest question ever asked here.

Not even close.

Could you post some of the dumb ones? It's a snow around here, stuck inside and I'm bored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back