Bosch torque wrenches subject to Wi-Fi hacking

Unreal. Wi-Fi connected Bosch torque wrenches can be hacked and display faulty readings, leading to incorrect torque settings. Why in creation does a torque wrench “need” to be connected to a network?

Network-Connected Torque Wrench Used in Factories Is Vulnerable to Ransomware

from the article:

“An attack on Bosch wrenches could lead factory operators to think they properly fastened screws on a car when in fact the bolts are too loose or too tight, resulting in mechanical failure.”

If I had to take a guess, for data collection and to make sure they can't "disappear".

You can know X employee, used Y tool, on Z vehicle at this date & time. Sounds great from a QC standpoint.

If I had to take a guess, for data collection and to make sure they can't "disappear".

You can know X employee, used Y tool, on Z vehicle at this date & time. Sounds great from a QC standpoint.
Of course this is why they are network-enabled. And it is a great idea.

When these tools were developed I'm sure the connection wasn't considered an avenue of attack. It will be patched, and that's that.

I didn't even know these existed. Insanity.
Which part?

Unreal. Wi-Fi connected Bosch torque wrenches can be hacked and display faulty readings, leading to incorrect torque settings. Why in creation does a torque wrench “need” to be connected to a network?

Network-Connected Torque Wrench Used in Factories Is Vulnerable to Ransomware

from the article:

“An attack on Bosch wrenches could lead factory operators to think they properly fastened screws on a car when in fact the bolts are too loose or too tight, resulting in mechanical failure.”
First off Bosch should have hired people to test this, or should have thought about this being an issue. Second the software needs to be "hidden " from the outside so people can't hack it.

I doubt it has anything to do with theft. If these are installed on an assembly line (of any industry, not vehicle specific) you can assign IDs to each bolt being tightened down and keep QC files for every action that tool is used for. It totally makes sense from an engineering, manufacturing and QA point of view.

You could even update torque settings automatically when building different different items on the same line. Think about an truck manufacturing line that builds everything from a stripper fleet unit to the double-platinum version. Scan a bar code on the frame and the tool changes the torque specification depending on what type of radio is being installed (just for example). The giant flat panel display has different requirements than the basic radio. Instant updates and confirmation that each bolt is set properly.

This is at a factory. I didn't follow the link, so I don't know if it mentions the type of factory. HOWEVER,
I can think of several industries that could benefit from torque wrenches being traceable back to the time of use, the operator, and the torque settings that were used.
Aircraft maintenance (recently in the news) come to mind, the space industry, or anywhere that human lives may be put at risk for mistakes made.
Auto engines, not so much, unless you're Elon of course.

This is at a factory. I didn't follow the link, so I don't know if it mentions the type of factory. HOWEVER,
I can think of several industries that could benefit from torque wrenches being traceable back to the time of use, the operator, and the torque settings that were used.
Aircraft maintenance (recently in the news) come to mind, the space industry, or anywhere that human lives may be put at risk for mistakes made.
Auto engines, not so much, unless you're Elon of course.
Toyota uses them as well, so does Yahama as part of their production line. It certainly does play into the poka-yoke component of the Toyota Production System.

Back