Raybestos Advanced Technology Rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
" (ask your dealer to show you test results of lugnut torque causing rotor issues)" why so I can see the deer-in-the-headlights look?

Honda Pilot is not a severe case.
smile.gif

This is the 3rd claim that I've heard that NAPA Ultra Premium is really X/Y/Z. Different one every time.

" irregular rotor hub surface (hub bent, surface rust, dirt, etc.)" Huh? Irregular hub surface would be a poorly machined surface, not a poorly mounted rotor. Even the cheap rotors have a fairly flat machining of the correct texture for break-in, and I and others have been testing parallelism on new cheap rotors as well as expensive. I've yet to see one fail.

Originally Posted by Ihatetochangeoil
Perhaps you misunderstood or I wasn't clear enough. The correct answer is BOTH. New rotors AND a brake lathe.

"Pro-Cut�s Rotor Matching System has been the top choice of OEM�s for over two decades."

Hmm. If the Honda Factory Service Manual is followed, a runout check will tell you whether the on-car lathe is needed. I certainly wouldn't pay for that additional service if the runout was in spec.

As this a ~2 year old resurrected thread, using Amazon and Summit racing rotor pics as reference some nomenclature information regarding topic rotors has changed. The topic AT rotors are now known as Element3 rotors. When I purchased a set for fronts of seventh gen Accord in September, they were known as RPTs, rust prevention technology rotors. Current Raybestos site information remains the same for the E3s, RPT still located on box. Another poster on my thread about the RPT installation claimed same as ACDelco fully coated he uses and Napa fully coated. Either way, though it's only been ~4months I'm still satisfied with the E3/RPTs performance and price I paid at RA.

thanks, Sayjac. I just got Element3 rotors and pads for the back of my Honda, based on recommendations here.

Before anyone asks, I haven't put them on yet. First it was too cold. Then it was too nice outside and time to have some fun with the family. Also I wanted to get new hoses from Honda (ordered) and maybe new calipers (still thinking about that). If all goes well this may take my Pilot's rear brakes from 212K to end of life.

Originally Posted by HangFire
This is the 3rd claim that I've heard that NAPA Ultra Premium is really X/Y/Z. Different one every time.

NAPA ultra premium ARE Raybestos AT. Exact same rotor in different packaging.Poster is correct.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
The topic AT rotors are now known as Element3 rotors. When I purchased a set for fronts of seventh gen Accord in September, they were known as RPTs, rust prevention technology rotors. Current Raybestos site information remains the same for the E3s, RPT still located on box.
I bought "RPT" rotors for my wife's car last year and they're installed. I have front and rears in the garage, along with EHT pads, for my G35 but they're waiting until it gets warmer. Anyway, I was at Raybestos' website just a few days ago and didn't see references to "RPT" anymore but "Element3" now. When I check my order history at Rockauto, it shows I bought "Element3" rotors too. I know, I know, they simply update the description linked to the part # and it updates on-the-fly.

I thought Raybestos "Advanced Technology" rotors were their top-of-the-line rotors or maybe it was their OEM equivalent ? Now it's their newest, coated line ? In their parts catalog, they do class them as their "best" rotors too but I recall their max allowable runout is 0.004" while they had a line or two with tighter specs.

Raybestos does need to update their website. Lots of links to the RPT stuff are broken links....

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Another poster on my thread about the RPT installation claimed same as ACDelco fully coated he uses and Napa fully coated. Either way, though it's only been ~4months I'm still satisfied with the E3/RPTs performance and price I paid at RA.
They "grey fusion" coating seems to be pretty unique. They call it "proprietary" but make no mention of it being patent-protected. I don't know if NAPA or ACDelco use similar terms to Raybestos - I thought they just say "coated". Looking now, I do see NAPA refer to 400-hour testing and how even the vane surfaces are coated and I remember Raybestos saying similar things.

The best clue ? For my car, here's the part numbers:

Front
Raybestos: 980307FZN
NAPA: 880307CR

Rear
Raybestos: 980333FZN
NAPA: 880333CR

^^^^ Good detective work. My RA RPT rotor purchase now refers to that purchase as Element3 too. The Napa UP do claim tighter runout tolerance than E3, not that it means they are necessarily different. One thing for sure, the Napa UP significantly more expensive than RA price E3s. Fwiw, warranty seems same for both.

As for what the E3s ( with RPT on box) are now, 'my opinion' is they are the now named R-line uncoated rotors with the "grey fusion" coating added. Back when I purchased the RPTs the R-line was called iirc the "Professional" line. Looking at Raybestos site still says "Professional Grade" on R-line box side. Other than coating, Raybestos site specs seem the same for both.

When I purchased the RPTs they were only $2-3 more per rotor than the RA Raybestos Professional, and same or less than some other RA economy choices. That in mind, RPT's now the E3's seemed worth a try.

I found conflicting information as to what the topic AT were and why mentioned Amazon and Summit as reference. Pics there for AT showed fully coated like E3s, Napa UP and RA ACDelco Advantage. Some other google images did show black paints hats, vanes like the Centric and Wagner ecoated rotors. See no mention of AT on Raybestos site now.

Wish I had known about element 3 coatings when I put AT painted vein, painted hat rotors in the rear 2 years ago. I just swapped them out. 25k and rusting pretty bad in the veins and on the rotor surface.

20190128_163733.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back