Redline GL5 75w90/75w85 vs Motul Gear 300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motul Gear 300 is having high VI that makes it less drag like 75w85, however on differential application which one is better? Are they both less durable compared to Mobilube SHC 75w90 that is rated million miles?

The high VI of a finished product usually means viscosity improvers. They line up between the parts and the metal to metal parts see a thinner oil film . A certain viscosity oil is what keeps the parts separated under extreme loading.

When I read that, all I see is the USA vs France
smile.gif

Originally Posted by CT8
The high VI of a finished product usually means viscosity improvers. They line up between the parts and the metal to metal parts see a thinner oil film . A certain viscosity oil is what keeps the parts separated under extreme loading.

Is a VI improver needed in an ester-based gear oil like the ones Red Line sells? It's not a huge spread when it's a gear oil.

Also - is Gear 300 recommended for differentials? I know the Red Line 75W90 is only recommended for differentials because it has the LSD friction-modifier additive. Red Line recommends 75W90NS for gearboxes, but also sells an additive to make it suitable for differentials..

I'd suggest you check out Schaeffers and Delvac as well.

Also, if it's an off road vehicle and you cross rivers or so you may need to change gear oil more often due to possible water contamination of the diff and transfer case oil, in that scenario - use cheaper oil and change more often.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by CT8

Is a VI improver needed in an ester-based gear oil like the ones Red Line sells? It's not a huge spread when it's a gear oil.

Also - is Gear 300 recommended for differentials? I know the Red Line 75W90 is only recommended for differentials because it has the LSD friction-modifier additive. Red Line recommends 75W90NS for gearboxes, but also sells an additive to make it suitable for differentials..

Gear 300 is recommended in diffs.

Originally Posted by kr_bitog
Motul Gear 300 is having high VI that makes it less drag like 75w85, however on differential application which one is better? Are they both less durable compared to Mobilube SHC 75w90 that is rated million miles?

Esters used in redline and I assume motul are on par with PAG's, they will outlast SHC closely reated to PAO by a factor of 9/25. Now, consider that Redline mixes pao with their esters and you get somewhere inbetween that. But, if you believe the papaers on machinelube SHC will not outlast redline or motul at a very minimum. Esters in redline and PAG's will survive heat cycles better, just a fact.
jumping off point, if you can't find the other article on it let me know via pm. There are plenty of papers on it, I just don't have the time to find them again.

From Link above...

Tests show synthetic oils make gears more efficient than mineral oils. A polyglycol oil in the study resulted in the highest degree of efficiency: 18 percent more than the high performance mineral gear oil. SHC gear oil also made the test gears eight to nine percent more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back