Fram xg3506. Valvoline Blue Restore 1000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I have had some oil consumption in my Envoy 5.3 for some time now. I decided to try this oil first, before doing a ring job on the motor. I was planning to change the filter at 500 miles, but between being out of town and the snow, I never got a chance to crawl underneath it and change it out. My initial observation is that there is definitely a hard carbon crust on the filter media. I was able to scrape the surface of the media with a razor and remove that hard carbon crust. In one pic, I folded the media over to show the back side and the difference from the carbined up side to the clean side.

I will keep using this oil and change the filters out at 1000 miles. So far, I believe it is working as I had hoped.

PSX_20190125_223553.jpg

PSX_20190125_223522.jpg

PSX_20190125_223503.jpg

PSX_20190125_223439.jpg

PSX_20190125_223230.jpg

PSX_20190125_223425.jpg

PSX_20190125_223403.jpg

PSX_20190125_223321.jpg

Interesting. Been kicking around trying it in my wife's Accord. It doesn't smoke, but it burns a decent amount, likely due to the rings.

That looks like a very well made filter. I hope you get the results you're looking for. Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by zorobabel
Thanks for sharing Lignums!
Any change in oil consumption?

Yes oddly enough there was. Usually that vehicle burns through almost a quart in 1000 miles, with this restore oil, and I suppose the cleaning of the rings, there was little to no usage!

When I changed my oil to the restore oil I was adamant about making sure the oil level was exactly to the full mark to monitor any usage.

I have used all kinds of oil in this vehicle with the hopes of lowering the usage, from 0w30 AFE, to all 5w30, hm oils, 10w30 hm, finally to 10w40 hm over the course of many years.
This situation is what led me to this wonderful website all those years ago, I just lurked for a very long time reading.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Very nice! Why wasn't MINE built like that?

This oil I am using is the valvoline restore 10w30, it's supposed to clean the carbon off the rings and such in diesels.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
That looks like a very well made filter. I hope you get the results you're looking for. Thanks for posting.

To me, having done a couple of these oil filter c/p myself, this oil is doing its job. The previous filters I have cut open from this vehicle did not have ANY of that carbon silt on the pleats at all. So far at this point, it was worth the $160.00 experiment.

Lot cheaper than a ring job.

It does look like it's doing some cleaning. Hopefully, the engine does not spring an oil leak.

Originally Posted by huntsonora
How many miles are you going to run this oil?

I was going to run this oil 6000 miles. I will have enough oil between the two jugs to replenish what will be lost from the filter changes.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Where in Ohio did you buy the oil from?

I ordered it off of Ryder fleet products

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back