Fremont (CA) Police using a Tesla as a patrol car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently a used 2014 Model S 85. Apparently not the Model S 85D which has Ludicrous Mode. This isn't the first Tesla to be used by a police department, but possibly the first that's intended to be used as an actual patrol car.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2019/01/23/fremont-pd-to-deploy-tesla-model-s-patrol-vehicle/
https://www.fremont.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=1509

The car was assembled in Fremont at the Tesla Factory, which used to be the old NUMMI Toyota/GM joint venture.

And I know this is primarily a forum for discussion of automotive fluids, but is it time for a board for electric vehicles? There's one for discussion of alternative fuels.

Fremont_Tesla.jpg

Seeing all the idling a cop car does, a BEV might be better from an air quality and wear perspective - and a Tesla can catch up to almost anything in a pursuit.

I think a PHEV isn't a bad choice for the police - it will certainly help keep hours off the engine for all the idling done. Some PDs have been using the Prius for non-patrol duties like parking enforcement or non-sworn officer use.

I wonder if they sent the car to Setina to have the push bumper brackets made up or if they figured it out themselves.

I also wonder what the RF emissions are like. If it causes any issues such as desense with their mobile.

San Francisco and L.A.... 2 of the mildest climates in the lower 48. Run that "test" in Fargo in January, or Phoenix in July. All of this kind of stuff involving electric vehicles should be led off with the title...... "Under Ideal Conditions".

"Why are they using a 2014? Why not a 2019?"

Cheaper to start with an older car when it's the very first one made?
Lessen any public outcry over the use of a premium car?
Might there be a local stash of junkyard parts?

ALSO A QUESTION:

Is it a "one off" or a "one of"?

Originally Posted by nthach
- and a Tesla can catch up to almost anything in a pursuit.

For a little while...

Anyways, aren't the cars running most of the time to keep the HVAC on? How will this handle sitting in one place keeping an officer comfortable for long periods of time? Isn't A/C one of the biggest draws in these "mild" climates?

Originally Posted by Colt45ws
I wonder if they sent the car to Setina to have the push bumper brackets made up or if they figured it out themselves.

I also wonder what the RF emissions are like. If it causes any issues such as desense with their mobile.

I wonder if Fremont is way up in UHF, like 800MHz, maybe even higher.

I wonder if this car might be a drug seizure? Down here, local law enforcement agencies often conscript seized and "forfeited" vehicles for various law enforcement duties. One agency near my home up in Pensacola actually patrols in an unmarked . . . Prius!!! I'd pay good money for a compilation of facial expression photos of drivers who just got "lit up" by that annoying tailgating Prius!
20.gif
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Gotta get the weekly Tesla hate on...not every vehicle is suitable to be a patrol car for any number of reasons. Being electric might be one. It could be annoying to get in and out with all the gear LEOs wear because it's kinda low. Hope they issue a 1 year update on how it works out.

Wonder if the PD had to have a lottery to see who gets to use it or who HAS to use it?

I remember back in the early 80s other police were jealous of Dearborn police who were driving Lincoln Town Car patrol cars. It was Ford's way of field testing new air bag technology with real humans. The police had the best chance of getting into a crash than any other group.

Tesla may be looking to field test certain aspects of their vehicle.

Seeing all the idling a cop car does, a BEV might be better from an air quality and wear perspective - and a Tesla can catch up to almost anything in a pursuit.

I think a PHEV isn't a bad choice for the police - it will certainly help keep hours off the engine for all the idling done. Some PDs have been using the Prius for non-patrol duties like parking enforcement or non-sworn officer use.

Think of all the power needed to continually run the climate control system when the vehicle is stationary. IMO that's going to be the issue.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Think of all the power needed to continually run the climate control system when the vehicle is stationary. IMO that's going to be the issue.

I wonder... pure SWAG on my part, but I'm guessing it's less of a load on the battery to run a/c than it is to cruise at 60mph. Pure guess on my part, but it's based on a home a/c unit drawing little more than a hp (10A at 120Vac?) and a car at 60mph needing several hp to overcome air drag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back