Heat blanket for your oil filter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this in my Facebook subaru sti group (people are making fun of it, for a good reason) and thought I'd share here so you guys can get a chuckle too.

Some people will just buy anything..

50DCB6D4-B58B-4DAB-B5AF-68C2B6E3514B.png

Hmm, looks like an insulator, which would lead to higher oil temperatures.

Any insight into how the OEM claims oil temp reduction???

That is probably needed if you live in AK or when the temp goes to subzero Fahrenheit.

Not is Florida.

Originally Posted by JMJNet
That is probably needed if you live in AK or when the temp goes to subzero Fahrenheit.

Not is Florida.

This is not to hold heat in, it is to keep heat OUT of the oil filter in cases (Like subarus) where it is mounted very close to exhaust.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
This is not to hold heat in, it is to keep heat OUT of the oil filter in cases (Like subarus) where it is mounted very close to exhaust.
Insulation works equally in either direction. Using it to keep heat IN would be slightly helpful in cold ambients.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Some engines, the oil filter is right next to exhaust systems...can pick up heat that way.

+1 and +1

Ah yes, the Subaru 'ring of fire' oil filter mount. Still, seems like a sucker born every minute item 'imo.'
[Linked Image]

I would think that if the Subaru needed it the engineers would have designed it with a simple aluminum heat shield.

Plenty of dirt bike riders wrap their exhaust pipes to keep heat from the pipes away from their air cooled cylinders. This way the hot exhaust exits out the back. This filter cover is just to keep the exhaust from heating the filter. Not sure how effective it really is, but conceptually is not a bad idea if your filter is near the headers or cat converter.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Sayjac
Ah yes, the Subaru 'ring of fire' oil filter mount.

I would think that would only be an issue for oil change places. Can you imagine sticking your hand in there on a car that just came in off the freeway? Probably have to use some kind of tool to grab it.

Originally Posted by Dave1027
Can you imagine sticking your hand in there on a car that just came in off the freeway? Probably have to use some kind of tool to grab it.

Ove Glovd.jpg

Originally Posted by Shannow
Some engines, the oil filter is right next to exhaust systems...can pick up heat that way.

That was my first thought especially if its near a red hot turbo. How effective it is one way or the other I have no idea given the short time the oil is in the filter with the engine running.

When the engine is just turned off on a hot summer day I guess it could prevent heat soak into the oil in the filter?

The photo posted by Sayjac earlier does show that the Subaru exhaust system has heat shields (for an obvious engineering reason) ... which cuts the radiative heat coming off the exhaust pipes down by a lot.

Only way to know if the thermal insulation sock for the filter really works is to instrument it with thermocouples and do a before and after sock installation temperature test.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Ah yes, the Subaru 'ring of fire' oil filter mount. Still, seems like a sucker born every minute item 'imo.'
[Linked Image]

That pic is hilarious. I had no idea.
That sock looks silly on an OEM filter.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Please humor an old man with failing eyesight .

What keeps the thing on the oil filter ?

I was thinking a snug fit like a Koozie. That is why they have the pull ring to aid removal.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back