Corolla 9th vs 10th Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I am looking for another vehicle, so would appreciate some feedback of 9th Gen vs 10th Gen Corolla? All LE and automatic transmissions.

Is 2006 or 2007 a good option? Of course I am never worried buying 200k vehicle with proper maintenance, is there anything problematic on higher mileage Corolla?

Thanks for the help and feedback
thumbsup2.gif

We have put 35K on our 2006, now at 155K, nothing but normal upkeep. Also know of a 2006 corolla (not ours) with much higher higher miles

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Those are good and even an 08 would be best since it's newer and the last year of that gen. A guy on here has an 04 with about 360k on it. He said if it croaked or was totaled he would go out and get another. A Pontiac Vibe or Toyo Matrix would also be the same mechanically. Also check out www.carcomplaints.com and another interesting link:

http://carspecmn.com/?s=corolla&lang=ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE

Thanks SS, for the helpful feedback and comment so I think finding an 06-08 would not be a bad choice!

The 06-08 is good, but the odometers stop working at 299999 and just stay there! Even 15 years later, there is no fix! It affects ever 2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Vibe.
mad.gif

^ Forgot about the odometer thing but there are two trip meters that can be used to keep tracking the miles. Just don't reset them accidentally. In fact that's what the guy with 360k miles or so does. I'm only at 148k on the 05 Matrix. I figure anything past 300k is gravy anyway esp given the age of the car in the rust belt.

Yes but the autos are very durable. Although it's a four-speed auto. I think once the fix is done to the manuals it's fine. I know a guy that had an issue with the manual on day one when he bought it new. But was fine ever since the repair was done.

Yes but the autos are very durable. Although it's a four-speed auto. I think once the fix is done to the manuals it's fine. I know a guy that had an issue with the manual on day one when he bought it new. But was fine ever since the repair was done.

I have had my 2004 Corolla S for 15 years the 1st of April its nearing 130,000 miles its never had a transmission problem. Its a five speed.

Im at 163k miles on my CE 07. Flawless car, easy to work on, simple layout and bland and boring to some. Guess I like boring! Crazy reliable and good on gas.

Those are good and even an 08 would be best since it's newer and the last year of that gen. A guy on here has an 04 with about 360k on it. He said if it croaked or was totaled he would go out and get another. A Pontiac Vibe or Toyo Matrix would also be the same mechanically. Also check out www.carcomplaints.com and another interesting link:

http://carspecmn.com/?s=corolla&lang=ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE

The 2003 and 2004 have cable-throttles. 2005 to 2008 are electronic. I think (but am not sure) that the 2006 and up have tire pressure transmitters within the air-side of the tire...but my daughter's 2005 does a tire diameter calculation by using the ABS tone rings (in any case, on her LE). I prefer that.

All of this said, I went out of my way to get my daughter an LE version of the car, as it happens, a 2005. Love that car! The LE and the Sport have ABS - and I wanted that for her.

My elderly mom has the 1999 model Corolla - with the same 4 speed A/T as my daughter's. Unfortunately the tapered roller bearings on the differential ring gear (I think) are starting to sing... have been for the last 12,000 miles / 20,000 km. The car has 112,000 miles / 200,000 km. I am disapointed about that. I will run that car into the ground, as it is uneconomic to rebuild the transmission. Otherwise, a good car.

Heads-up: the 2009 to 2013 Corolla has totally awful electric power steering.

Daughter bought an '06 Corolla new. Mostly just oil changes and normal stuff in 180 K miles when it was totalled.

Had several of both generations as rentals. Rather liked the older one, hated the 09-13. Seemed like this is one of the few examples of cars actually getting worse generation to generation. Camry may have suffered from the same malady too.

Opinion only. Never owned one. To each their own.

9th Gen Corollas are probably one of the better generations of Corollas out there. Although they all are good, try to find a 2006-2008 LE. I have the 4 speed Auto and never had an issue with it. Easy to service and the tranny pan has a drain plug (!).

Known issues are: 1) A problematic Intake Manifold Gasket that causes a "Lean" condition , thereby throwing a Code. (Easy to fix with a newly designed gasket).
2) Timing chain tensioner "O" Ring that flattens out, causing leakage. ( Again, an easy fix with a new and improved "O" Ring).
3) A somewhat rare issue, but the Charcoal Canister has been know to give out if you frequently "top-up" your fuel tank.

All in all, they are great cars. Easy to maintain. Parts are cheap, and if you ever have to bring it to a mechanic for repairs above your level of experience, its one of those cars that all mechanics like to work on.

I had an 03 that I sold at 242,000 miles and it was trouble free. I bought it from a huge medical hospital and it was a courier car. They drove it about 300 or more miles every day and maintained it very well. I sold it and I would think it's still on the road racking up the miles. Corolla's and Civic's run almost forever with maintenance.

Originally Posted by diyjake
What are the issues with manual transmissions?

They self destruct. I forget the year range and if it's 5 speed or 6 speed version (it's one of the two, not both).

It was more an issue with the throw out bearing making noises and giving out on the manuals. This was an issue on the 9th and 10th generations 5 speeds.

The 4speed auto while boring was completely bulletproof, even when not maintained at all would go for a 200K easy. My son has my old 2009 Corolla and it has near 250k miles on it now and runs as though it were new...zero issues...I just replaced the factory OEM battery last month. Other than that, zero repairs...even has the same factory OEM brakes. Just tires and oil changes...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen
It was more an issue with the throw out bearing making noises and giving out. This was an issue on the 9th and 10th generations.

The 4speed auto while boring was completely bulletproof, even when not maintained at all would go for a 200K easy. My son has my old 2009 Corolla and it has near 250k miles on it now and runs as though it were new...zero issues...I just replaced the factory OEM battery last month. Other than that, zero repairs...even has the same factory OEM brakes. Just tires and oil changes...

That's SUPER impressive and just hard to believe
thumbsup2.gif

Great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back