air filter and duck tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was wondering since my air filter didnt fit tightly and that there is some very small gaps, is it ok to duck tape the air box space around so that there wouldnt be potentially air from the outside going through the very small gaps?

My question derived from hearing people using sealant, vasoline, oil, foam, etc to seal up the cracks or the openings where the air filter box is not being closed tightly enough. Im currently using Wix, but I assume that just duck taping around the openings of the air filter box would be good enough to keep the un-filtered air from the outside from getting through?

Well, it might be worth a try. You certainly don't want to feed your engine lots of unfiltered air with all that nice Texas dust & dirt! Is the airbox damaged or warped? Just trying to figure out why the filter gasket won't seal properly.

idon't see the problem with it if you're worried about it... is it a square type filter? i would suggest cutting each piece of duct tape to the length of each side of the filter, then roll it to make a double sided tape like tube... place each one on the bottom of the filter and press it down inside the filter box, seems like it would make quite a seal...

-Stuart Hughes
The air filter box is not warped or broken, infact this vehicle is brand new with only 6000 miles, i just replaced it with a Wix air filter. The air box doesnt close all the way, maybe because of the rubber gaskets. I was thinking about using vasoline to make the air box close fit-shut but it seems like the air filter is placed in tight enough. Just that the air box is not closing all the way.

-Pontius Pilate
I meant that i was actually thinking of duck taping the exterior sides of the air box (not the inside).

And yes the air filter is rectangular in shape.

Oh, with only 6000 miles, i checked to see and found out that the air filter is already blackened pretty good probably due all the sands, dirt accumulation when driving through the roads during this texas streets, freeways esp. when they added bunch of those sands on the street to prevent icy roads.

Highroller, before I started putting duct tape on a brand new car, I'd try to find out why that filter doesn't fit properly, maybe try another brand. Something sounds "off" there. Do you still have the old filter? If so, try taking it along for comparison.

My Pontiac Sunfire 2004 has the same problem. Fram, Purolator, and other filter brands are so small that they have fallen sidways in the air box. (Serious). I wonder how many other vehicles have this problem?

I was pretty fed up with this so I bought a K&N and that fits pretty snug. (What I have in there now) I have yet to try Fram's Tough Guard or an STP air filter <-- (looks small). I don't have a Nappa store nearby so I probably won't be able to test those unless I make a special trip.

I do indeed have the old oem air filter. In fact i noticed that the rubber gaskets of that filter are slightly oiled, probably why the air box can squeeze shut. On the other hand, my wix filter doesnt seem to be oiled, therefore, the rubber gaskets on that filter is not slippery but in fact more sticky (and therefore it's not closing all the way).

I measured the gap of the airbox space, and it's somewhere around .125 of an inch.

LOL, well.... i really like the filtration/flow of the wix(napa) air filters. I dont like the oem filters at all. So i guess what are some of you guys' recommendations for a wix-like or pure-one like air filters, so that i may try instead of this current one?

This seems a model-specific problem, right? Some filter brands fit certain models better than others. It's a dilemma for me also right now, as I'm hesitant to order myself a Wix if it's not going to fit.
Maybe you can lube up the NAPA/Wix filter with rubber/vinyl protectant to get the airbox to close? Strange that the OEM displeases you...

i plan on doing just that: getting a slippery substance to put around the air filter so that maybe i can squeeze my airbox shut. When i checked my air filter at 6000 miles, i was pretty surprised to see that many black dirt on there. Im just anal about somewhat huge amount of dirt particles going into my engine and fiddling around with my bearings or what not...

Have you tried warming it up with a hairdryer to give it more elastic / squish so you can close the airbox all the way.

Often times we condem a filter when we see a small gap between the filter side and the airbox. Usually this is NOT the seal as the seal is the front to back compression of the filter. That is what I often observe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back